thunderbolt 4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Just to 'throw out' an idea, probably not feasible - but, is there any way a user could 'test' cables at home to determine their types/capabilities, esp. regarding data and power transmission (and in one or both directions)? I now have a lot of 'unidentified' USB-C cables (either at both ends or to another connector such as USB-A) - would be nice to plug one USB-C end into a port of my new M2 Air the attached to some type of 'electronic analyzer' gizmo and together the cable and its properties are analyzed - just wondering? Dave
:question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
There is nothing there, Patrick. Just an error.

Sorry but now corrected with correct URL.
Identify the ports on your Mac

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Just to 'throw out' an idea, probably not feasible - but, is there any way a user could 'test' cables at home to determine their types/capabilities, esp. regarding data and power transmission (and in one or both directions)? I now have a lot of 'unidentified' USB-C cables (either at both ends or to another connector such as USB-A) - would be nice to plug one USB-C end into a port of my new M2 Air the attached to some type of 'electronic analyzer' gizmo and together the cable and its properties are analyzed - just wondering? Dave
:question
Not that I am aware of, Dave. A cable either works, or doesn't. That's about the only test for the end user. Technicians may have some sort of testing device, but again, I've not heard of one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Thanks for the summary, but I'm sure many users will be wondering what connection port is compatible with the peripheral device they are planning to use and Apples support document doesn't seem to make things very clear according to their article here (corrected):
Identify the ports on your Mac

- Patrick
=======
Patrick, the article you linked in the correction is actually pretty easy to understand, and it shows how Apple tried to designate which ports were TB4 (lightning bold symbol) and which were just USB-c. That's about as clear as it can be, given that Apple has no way of know what peripherals users might attach to those ports. Add in the many makers of hubs that may or may not support those protocols, and cables that may or may not as well, and Apple simply cannot be much more clear about what IT controls.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Nothing is "standard" anymore.

And especially after users get notified that they will be offered a "new and improved" technology to help them with their computers.

Which usually just adds more confusion to the already confusing mess. :question

Patrick

Reaction score
...I'm sure many users will be wondering what connection port is compatible with the peripheral device they are planning to use ...

Since there are many Macs that come with nothing other than TB3 or TB4 ports, it's easy to surmise that those ports are designed to be compatible with virtually any peripheral that you intend to connect to your Mac. Though you may need an appropriate adapter to match the interface/bus on your peripheral to your Mac's ports.

If you want to be sure what the appropriate cable, or adapter, you need is, or the best choice of same, just ask. This comes up all the time. So folks have, by now, found which adapter/cables work, and which don't.

The biggest pitfall, as I've said previously, is to use a "USB-C" to HDMI adapter that does not explicitly support Thunderbolt 3 or 4, to connect your 4K (or better) monitor. That will give very disappointing results.

External SSD hard drives that are advertised as "USB 3.2 Gen 2x2" or as offering 20Gbps throughput, only seem to ever give USB 3.1 (10Gbps) throughput with a Mac, and probably should be avoided as a waste of money for the extra speed they advertise. USB4 external SSD's work as expected (at close to 40Gbps) with a Mac if you use an adapter that supports TB3 or 4.

Otherwise, it's hard to go terribly wrong. Most peripherals don't have the throughput requirements that TB 3 or 4 offer as a maximum, and TB 3 or 4 ports are backwards compatible with slower buses. Macs that have USB-C ports that only offer the USB 3.1 protocol (i.e. they are not Thunderbolt ports) work nicely with just about any peripheral, other than a monitor or fast external drive, with the proper plug adapter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.