• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Threat to remove headphone jack from future iPhone models

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Yep, I was thrilled w/ the appearance of the first flash drives - quote from Wiki below - the year 2000 - purchased my first one online shortly after that time - as I recall, probably 32 MB and likely paid about $60 (cannot remember) - BUT, the equivalent of over 20 1.44 MB floppies at the time! Dave :)

It's absolutely mind-blowing the advancements in storage technology over the years. Currently micro-SD cards (the size of a small fingernail) are available that can store 256gig of data. And I'm sure there are 512gig micro-SD cards on the way. As well as other micro/nano sized high-capacity storage devices in development.:)

Yep, my second computer was a MS DOS-PC w/ our first HD (replaced an Apple II+ probably about 1984) - had the astounding capacity of 20 MB - LOL now! Dave :)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I agree chas, Bluetooth 4x. is great. On the flash storage subject, someone asked me a while back, "I wonder why they call these things Thumb Drives"?
He was holding a 32Gb SanDisk USB drive more like the size of his thumb nail.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Well, as Apple iDevices become thinner, there will not be sufficient space for the 3.5 mm mini-stereo jack...
This is the interesting bit - why does the next iPhone need to be so thin that ports have to be cut? Is that really necessary? Granted, this is assuming that the removal is only for this reason.

C

chas_m

That is probably NOT why the headphone jack is on the chopping block. It seems much more likely to me that the actual reason is much more to do with not doing DAC. Digital headphones can do a lot of things analog ones cannot do, starting with higher-quality audio.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is the interesting bit - why does the next iPhone need to be so thin that ports have to be cut? Is that really necessary? Granted, this is assuming that the removal is only for this reason.

Well, not sure how thin Apple wants to go, but a consideration? The other issue is the depth and the volume of space occupied by this connector, i.e. more area to put a larger battery and/or other components, I guess? Dave :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Removing that jack might result in a thinner iPhone. That's the reason that may grab headlines for most users. It occurs to me though that the other/better reason is that it is one less thing to build in electronically. If you are building a lightning connection for charging and bluetooth for connectivity to all sorts of things, there's not much need for that 3.5 mm jack except for the fact that users already have gear that uses it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
there's not much need for that 3.5 mm jack except for the fact that users already have gear that uses it.
Except for when the port breaks. The problem with having everything go through one port is not only wear and tear (which I imagine is probably rather negligible though) but, should the port die, you can't use any external peripherals that are hard-wired. It would also prevent doing something like charging and using headphones at the same time.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I personally like having the 3.5 mm jack present. At the moment I have at least 3 headsets that work with that jack. Only one works via Bluetooth. Only one of my headsets is Bluetooth capable. I suspect the decision to remove the jack or not will be driven in part by how badly they want to keep the entire music signal digital.

As Bluetooth impress I'm gradually shifting to that due to convenience. I'm constantly getting tangled in the wires and that's getting old.

Reaction score
I listen to audible books on my iPhone and light earbuds almost every day, walking the dogs, working on home projects, and/or at the gym. My only complaint about removing the jack is that I'll have one more thing to remember to keep charged -- and I assume that the wireless headphones will be a bit heavier, due to the rechargeable batteries.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My only complaint about removing the jack is that I'll have one more thing to remember to keep charged --

Yes…it's getting kind of crazy keeping track of the number of things we need to remember to keep charged on an almost daily basis!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I listen to audible books on my iPhone and light earbuds almost every day, walking the dogs, working on home projects, and/or at the gym. My only complaint about removing the jack is that I'll have one more thing to remember to keep charged -- and I assume that the wireless headphones will be a bit heavier, due to the rechargeable batteries.

Well, I've use the BT Rockfish headphones below on an old iPod Touch and iPad 2 (2011), and now on my newer iPad Air 2 - about $60 and quite comfortable; BT earbuds are obviously available; switching to BT options requires not only the power, thus periodic charging but also the issue of pairing (an easy procedure); BUT, once you've been 'un-teathered' from your device, the feeling is one of freedom (and w/ less risk of dropping your device, like on a treadmill in a fitness center). SO, buy some inexpensive BT earbuds and let us know your experience. Dave :)
9246862_ra copy.jpg

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
TBCapen, I know what you mean about the batteries, it's getting ridiculous the number of devices that require an independent power source and I am running out of power points for the chargers required for all the rest.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TBCapen, I know what you mean about the batteries, it's getting ridiculous the number of devices that require an independent power source and I am running out of power points for the chargers required for all the rest.

Rod. Here's something I purchased recently. It's awesome & works great. Lots of similar products out there as well.:)

Satechi-7-Port-USB-Charging-Station-Dock-White-e7576d61-58a8-4499-afff-040b80dd22c6_600.jpg

- Nick

Reaction score
What threat? I am quite sure there will be an adaptor made for legacy headphones or earbuds. If Apple doesn't make one, someone else will. Either you're moving forward or falling behind.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What threat? I am quite sure there will be an adaptor made for legacy headphones or earbuds.

What if there's no port for the adapter?;) I think this is the concern.:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

Nope, it's not. The adapter would either offer a female 3.5mm port with a male Lightning connector, or it would be small dongle that attached to the headphones to add Bluetooth to them.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope, it's not. The adapter would either offer a female 3.5mm port with a male Lightning connector…

This is assuming the charging port (lightning port) could be used as an audio out port.

...or it would be small dongle that attached to the headphones to add Bluetooth to them.

Yes…thought of this after posting. Thanks for mentioning.:)

- Nick

Reaction score

- Nick

I understood the you could plug new style headsets into fire port - but maybe not. Somewhere in this forum someone mentioned sound would go from analog to digital - that is major sonic improvement.

I still think, however, that someone will produce some middleware for the legacy headsets if there is demand.

-30-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2009 MacBook, 2.0GHz C2D, 750GB HD, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.11.2
What threat? I am quite sure there will be an adaptor made for legacy headphones or earbuds. If Apple doesn't make one, someone else will. Either you're moving forward or falling behind.

I'm sure Apple will make something to let people use 3.5mm headphones. Look at all the dongles they make right now: FireWire and Ethernet adapters for the Thunderbolt ports an the MBA and rMBP, USB dongles for the 12-inch MacBook and the iOS devices, just to name a few. The rumors are that they'll be doing Lightning headphones, so I think they'll do a dongle like Chas said: male Lightning and female 3.5mm headphone, hopefully with a female Lightning connector too for charging.

Reaction score
Yes you are!!!;)

I'm still bitter when Apple got rid of Apple-Talk!!!;)

- Nick

I'm still bitter than my Mac Book Pro doesn't have a CD/DVD drive, but I'll get over it by buying an external CD/DVD drive or rely on thumb drives. LOL;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.