• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Threat to remove headphone jack from future iPhone models

C

chas_m

If Apple chose to drop the headphone jack -- again, as a reminder, not a given but quite possible -- they would certainly continue to include compatible headphones (using either Bluetooth or Lightning or both) with the iPhone as they do with the EarPods now. So, to me, this is a non-issue for most users, but will upset those who use third-party headphones with traditional jacks, because it will mean they will either need to use an adapter or will need to use the included ones (or buy new ones). I've been on BT headphones for years for everyday use for years, and would not mind at all getting a small adapter to make my Blue headphones (I have both the Mo-Fi and the Lola, highly recommended over-ear, noise-muffling headphones for discerning music lovers who don't need added bass) Bluetooth or Lightning-compatible if I eventually need to do so.

In short, this is less of an issue for most users than the vocal minority wants to make it out to be.

Reaction score
Wider? Really?!? Where is that rumored? It won't fit in my suit pocket. Waaah! :'( I am wondering if the small 5 something will emerge and sell...

Reaction score
Don't hold your breath on this one. All you're going to end up with is a blue-face…get dizzy...and then pass out!;)

- Nick

p.s. Warning: Sit down before you do this…so you don't fall down and bang your head! Applecare doesn't cover this!;);)

Lol I will hold out hope until the bubble officially bursts. Gotta keep the dream alive! ;-)

Reaction score
My thoughts...

1. Quite frankly, I don't really want the iPhone to get any thinner. Its getting hard to hold as it is. Frankly, I miss the more squared off styling of the 5s over the 6 and 6s rounded style.

2. I'm all for getting rid of the headphone jack. I've been using bluetooth headset for years anyway. Gives one less opening for water and dust to get in.

3. I wish they would get rid of it and ADD ANOTHER SPEAKER! Preferably two front facing speakers like the HTC One had. The sound on the apple speaker sucks ***. Once in a blue moon, I have no headset or bluetooth speaker with me and want to play some tunes. I actually put the phone in a coffee can to make a ghetto amplifier.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What's even worse than walking in traffic and texting is driving in traffic while texting! We have some real nutty drivers here in Texas without adding texting to the hazards.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't think the presence or absence of a headphone jack is going to affect that behavior much. Bluetooth headsets have reach the point where they don't coast much more than a decent pair of earbuds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Minor point - some of us cannot use the ear buds as the buds don't stay in our ears - so we have to use headphones - which require a headphone jack socket, or Bluetooth of course :)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
What's even worse than walking in traffic and texting is driving in traffic while texting! We have some real nutty drivers here in Texas without adding texting to the hazards.
What about texting while riding a motor scooter, there's a lot of that here.

Reaction score
What about texting while riding a motor scooter, there's a lot of that here.

I live in China, and I see that stuff all the time.

Once, a guy bumped me from the side while he was texting on his motor scooter. I slapped the phone out of his hand. It shattered into a million pieces.

The other day, I saw a guy on an motor scooter... he had a kid on there with him, and TWO cellphones, talking on one (between his shoulder and his head) and texting on the other. What an idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well motivated by the rumors I had a look for Bluetooth rechargable earbuds and found there are heaps to choose from. With a Bose set $150.00 to cheap Korean brands even this one (with Siri)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E3RHW38/?tag=macforums0e4-20
At prices no greater than the stock standard Apple wired earbuds I might be motivated to try a set, to me the cable was always the worst part.

Reaction score
Well motivated by the rumors I had a look for Bluetooth rechargable earbuds and found there are heaps to choose from. With a Bose set $150.00 to cheap Korean brands even this one (with Siri)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E3RHW38/?tag=macforums0e4-20
At prices no greater than the stock standard Apple wired earbuds I might be motivated to try a set, to me the cable was always the worst part.

I have a pair of the LG Tone Premium ones. Absolutely love them. Best money I ever spent. Can't stand wired earphones anymore. The only reason I even have any wired ones is for the nazi flight attendants who seem to actually believe that my bluetooth would cause the plane to crash, while the wifi they sell for $20 a flight will not.

Reaction score
I purchased this Bluetooth headset, and it was so impressive that I purchased several pairs for my office!

Bluetooth Headset, Stoon Sweatproof V4.0 Wireless Bluetooth Earphones In-Ear Noise Cancelling Headphones Earbuds with Microphone & Stereo
$26

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0133BN23E/?tag=macforums0e4-20

The sound through the headphones is clear and accurate. Great for listening to music. The microphone works great. The entire headset is unobtrusive and can be clasped magnetically around your neck when you aren't using it. Really nice for wearing in the office all day and talking on the phone while accessing your computer or freeing up your hands for writing down notes. They are also really nice for use while exercising. This is an amazing price for bluetooth headphones, especially such good ones!

It doesn't matter to me if Apple drops the microphone port. I've dropped the microphone port and I'm not going back to using it.

Reaction score
If they give you the Bluetooth headphone choice, I wonder how well it will do in sales?

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I purchased this Bluetooth headset, and it was so impressive that I purchased several pairs for my office!

Bluetooth Headset, Stoon Sweatproof V4.0 Wireless Bluetooth Earphones In-Ear Noise Cancelling Headphones Earbuds with Microphone & Stereo
$26

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0133BN23E/?tag=macforums0e4-20

The sound through the headphones is clear and accurate. Great for listening to music. The microphone works great. The entire headset is unobtrusive and can be clasped magnetically around your neck when you aren't using it. Really nice for wearing in the office all day and talking on the phone while accessing your computer or freeing up your hands for writing down notes. They are also really nice for use while exercising. This is an amazing price for bluetooth headphones, especially such good ones!

It doesn't matter to me if Apple drops the microphone port. I've dropped the microphone port and I'm not going back to using it.

Randy, they look great but only 4 Hrs music playing time? Isn't that a bit short? All the Bluetooth sets I've looked at claim 6 Hrs and despite ordering a set from Bose I still haven't worked out how you recharge them. Have not found a store here that actually have any to look at.

Reaction score
Randy, they look great but only 4 Hrs music playing time? Isn't that a bit short?

This headset has a tiny battery, which makes it less obtrusive. Truth be told, this headset is really aimed at either those who use it while exercising (not many folks exercise for more than 4 hours straight) or for use in an office. I use mine mainly in the office. Since office work only involves using your headphones when you are on the phone, they easily last all day on a charge for office work. But, if need be, it's easy to plug them into the USB charger.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK so you have given me a clue, "it's easy to plug them into the USB charger". Just how exactly does that work?

Reaction score
OK so you have given me a clue, "it's easy to plug them into the USB charger". Just how exactly does that work?

The headset comes with a cable that has a regular USB plug on one end, and what I suspect is a micro-USB plug on the other end. You plug the USB end into any powered USB port (i.e. you plug it into your computer, or a powered USB hub, or the USB port in your car) and the other end into the volume controller for the headset. It only takes a couple of hours for a full charge.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Randy, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.