The Switcher Stereotype.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
I agree:

For you all that dont want to expand your mind and find something better then what you already have. Then dont buy a mac. It gets frustrating to see how windows users badmouth Mac. I used to be that way, then when i sat down in bestbuy and saw that mac mini on the 30'' DVI display i was shellshocked, "How could apple do this?" i thought. From then on, i researched and researched, read article over article on how great Apple Products were.

Take the leap....try something new, dont be scared. if you want, keep that old worthless PC so it can collect dust, cause youll never look back to even turn it on.

:headphone:

D

DigitalN.

I love my mac, even though it is slower than a dog, I will still prefer a mac over a PC any day. I plan on selling my iBook and PC and upgrading to a iBook 12" G4 :)

and yes, chicks dig the mac.

D

DigitalN.

oooh, I have a good sterotype that I just remebered. I was chatting with a professional photographer, and he had taken some pictures of our class. he handed my teacher the disc, which in turn handed me the disk and I popped it in my mac. I loaded up the disc in OSX, and he peeped out "You know, those are windows only files".

wow, dense. needless to say, even though my mac is extremely slow, it loaded them up and I didn't even need photoshop. try that windows.

Reaction score
My favourite quote is, "It looks pretty but you wont be happy with it".
That one is ironically from my ex-girlfriend.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
haze said:
"It looks pretty but you wont be happy with it".
I can apply that to a few other things ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
Benjamindaines said:
I can apply that to a few other things ;)

lol, I think we all can. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. :headphone

OP
Meyvn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
haze said:
My favourite quote is, "It looks pretty but you wont be happy with it".
That one is ironically from my ex-girlfriend.

Ever wish someone had told you that about her?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
Meyvn said:
Ever wish someone had told you that about her?

I nearly covered my screen with the mouthful of tea that I had then..

L

litespeed59

My favorite stereotype comes from Windows users who assume that people who use Macs are crazy.

My boss is a perfect example. I do web design and some Windows programming for a living, and when my boss found out that I had purchased a Mac at home, she asked me why the heck I did that. You should have seen the look on her face - it was like she was thinking that I had completely lost it.

The funny thing is that if you have every seen photos from SXSW or any of the other major web design gatherings, the vast majority of the people there seem to be using either iBooks or Powerbooks. The ironic thing is that these people are designing websites that will be used by mostly Windows users!

Reaction score
I have to say, I was nervous about getting a mac, but having an iPod made it much easier. I was already happy with apple, though I bought into that, "macs are for europeans" thing that they feed us in america. I finally got a mini and haven't used my PC since!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac
I love my Mac. I will never go back to Wintel machines ever again.

But, honestly... if you want a true power house gaming machine... its not going to be a MacIntel machine, its just too expensive. If money was no option, I guess you could build a Mac Pro up, but thats an entry fee of 2499.00 off the bat. I built my old gaming machine for under 2k last time, with a 8800 GTS, which blows the doors off that 7300 GT they got in that Mac Pro (1735.98 to be exact).

So that stereotype is more fact, unless money is no option.

Anyway, long live Apple

Reaction score
"Macs are for tech-retards that cant tell the difference between a spacebar and a delete key."

Really, using a mac isnt anymore "easier" than a window, but a lot of the stuff that it does is what a PC should already do. At the same time making itmore convenient for users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
and you dug up this 3 year old thread why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac
Three? are you sure? Looks like the first post was 11-21-2005 its only 12-17-07.

Reaction score
If its a good thread, why not? Some people are so deep into "proper forum etiquette" that they miss the point of forums in the first place. The rule that a thread becomes obsolete after a week is a stupid rule.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Some of this misconceptions are based on facts from certain groups and other are just bs stereotypes. Stuff like "Mac suck at games" most likely have trickled down to the public from hardcord gamers. Of course Apple doesn't have a machine that compares with a $3000 gaming rig, but most people that will tell you that macs suck at gaming probably don't do a lot of hardcore gaming that requires two $500 video cards and all the latest and greatest bells and whistles.

A lot of the other stuff is just public perception based off of ten and fifteen year old facts that are no longer true.

It use to be that macs were much better for design based on the fact that the ppc chip was better at rendering graphics than the old pc boxes, but now a days, that's not the case. In fact, there's not a lot of CAD programs out there for OS X and their computers don't have the hardware to support them compared to some dedicated CAD systems (and not all of them are Windows boxes if that's what you're thinking I'm going to say).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 8gig, inherited powerbook (beer+mac=power-brick)
What's the most common stereotype about Macs that YOU have heard from PC users, or even those considering the switch? Which one would you say grates on your nerves the most?

I personally am extremely tired of, "oh, Macs are only good for graphic design. Why? because people who know more than both you and I about computers say so."

create a poll ;D

and as for macs being bad gaming machines just depends on how deep your pockets are. sure building up a mac pro would be expensive, but not having crashes and the such would be worth it me thinks. aside from the fact that it would last longer. And flashing lights and clustered fans are gaudy :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
I suppose my comment was uncalled for. Sometimes it's not good to dig up threads because they aren't relevant to the Intel switch. But honestly, this thread is 2 years old. Let it pass :)

Village Idiot said:
Some of this misconceptions are based on facts from certain groups and other are just bs stereotypes. Stuff like "Mac suck at games" most likely have trickled down to the public from hardcord gamers. Of course Apple doesn't have a machine that compares with a $3000 gaming rig, but most people that will tell you that macs suck at gaming probably don't do a lot of hardcore gaming that requires two $500 video cards and all the latest and greatest bells and whistles.

A lot of the other stuff is just public perception based off of ten and fifteen year old facts that are no longer true.

It use to be that macs were much better for design based on the fact that the ppc chip was better at rendering graphics than the old pc boxes, but now a days, that's not the case. In fact, there's not a lot of CAD programs out there for OS X and their computers don't have the hardware to support them compared to some dedicated CAD systems (and not all of them are Windows boxes if that's what you're thinking I'm going to say).

PhotoShop CS3 ran better on my 12 inch PowerBook than on my iMac LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Switching from PC to Mac is like switching from a Ford to a Honda. I am not saying Ford's are junk (I've owned one and it was a pile) and I am not trying to say Honda's are amazing (even though mine is.)
What I am saying is I don't define it as a "switch." What's under the hood is a little different, the way it looks is different, but you still step on the gas pedal when you want to go.
There is WAY too much hype in becoming a switcher. With an open mind and some patience, learning OS X should be pretty simple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Switching from PC to Mac is like switching from a Ford to a Honda. I am not saying Ford's are junk (I've owned one and it was a pile) and I am not trying to say Honda's are amazing (even though mine is.)
What I am saying is I don't define it as a "switch." What's under the hood is a little different, the way it looks is different, but you still step on the gas pedal when you want to go.
There is WAY too much hype in becoming a switcher. With an open mind and some patience, learning OS X should be pretty simple.

You make a very good point. They still do the same thing, they just go about it a little bit differently.

My only beef is there isn't a single browser on the OS X platform that displays my bank's website the way it works in Windows (only under IE, though). Unfortunately, I don't think that will ever change...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.