The Official "I spilled liquid in my MacBook, what do I do now?" Thread

Reaction score
screen broken

So like everybody on this thread I accidentally spilled liquid on my lap pro (specifically curry s as sauce). I did the prescribed method of fixing it, turning it off, placing it in rice, etc (although I didn't know about covering the ports and some rice definitely got into the machine. When all was said and done just a few keys weren't working, but everything else was fine. So I bought an external keyboard to use while I purchased a new laptop. (My Mac is 4+ years old. I have insurance on it for accidents. It seemed the best route.)

Unfortunately, now when I turn it on the Mac startup screen works fine, but then the desktop is black. The mouse is visible, and the screen brighten buttons work. Basically, I want to be able to move my files to a new Mac, or external harddrive. I also have a presentation for work that I had been planning on connecting to a projector. I'm wondering if all will be well with another screen. My tv has an hdmi port which I can use to test when I go buy an hdmi cable, but the projector uses vga would that make a difference? Also will I be able to move programs from one laptop to the next?

Sorry this seems a bit off topic!

Reaction score
I'm new here but completely freaking out and hoping for some advice.

I spilled water on my laptop this morning. I'm actually not that concerned about the laptop itself, because I have accidental damage insurance and can get it repaired/replaced at no cost.

However, like an idiot, I didn't back up in too long. Since my last backup, I uploaded hundreds of photos for a client (I'm a photographer) that I NEED to get back.

Any advice how to go about this? My computer is a 13 inch macbook pro with a retina display.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any advice how to go about this? My computer is a 13 inch macbook pro with a retina display.

That's a tough one because your rMBP uses a very different type of internal flash drive; one that can't be easily removed and placed in a portable USB caddy to extract the data. You need to keep your fingers crossed that the internal flash drive was not damaged and your data is intact. My advice is take your rMBP to Apple to see if they can recover the data for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" A1466 (Mid-2012)
Odd Occurrence

Approximately 6 hours ago I spilled around 50ml (1.7oz) Coke Zero on my desk. As luck would have it, most landed on the left side of my MBA, covering around a third of the keyboard, down by the hinge and possibly into the MS2/USB/ sockets. :Oops:

The first thing I did was attempt to resist the urge to commit hara kiri upon realising I stood there for a full second or more, goppingly-dumbstruck by my profound stupidity. The second thing I did was whip the MagSafe 2 cable out, shut the system down & grab a box of Kleenex mach schnell to dab the whole thing pronto (making sure all the while not to turn it over or shake it.) Being no normal man, I'm capable of multi-tasking, so there was much panicking, swearing and vein-popping going on all the while. :Shouting:

Long story short, and yes I admit this was impatient, I switched it on again not 5 minutes later. I have been using it non-stop since then and it is 100% – not a single issue, sticky key, iota of seepage, nothing. So, Mac Forums people... Riddle me this... Calm before the storm or exceedingly lucky? ;D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So, Mac Forums people... Riddle me this... Calm before the storm or exceedingly lucky? ;D

Firstly...welcome to Mac-Forums!:) Too bad this situation has to be your first post.

Second...congrats that your computer is still operational after the spill!:)

Third...we have mentioned it before. It is VERY difficult to get every single drop of liquid out of a computer after a spill. So theoretically one drop (if in the correct place)...could cause problems. Of course...the more time that goes by...the more likely any remining liquid will have evaporated...and be less of a concern.

At this point...I would use the computer as little as possible (probably best not to use it at all). For two reasons:

1. If the computer is powered up...liquid + electricity = dead computer.
2. If the computer is moved, shaken, tilted, jostled, etc. Any liquid could migrate.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
My Macbook Pro's Collision with Soda

A series of severely unfortunate events occurred Friday morning at my school. I had decided to bring a soda to class (It didn't have any sugar in it because it was diet). Long story short, it spilled... It wasn't too much, as far as I can tell. I immediately began to wipe away the soda (which spilled near the top of the keyboard and where the monitor connects to the keyboard). I had flipped it on its side. I know it should have been upside down but, I wasn't thinking (panic had set in :\ ). When the soda spilled My computer was on and I was about to log into it. After, I realized it was no longer on and the green battery indicator on the side of the computer did not light up. I immediately left and went to my school IT division. They gave me an air tight bag and silica gel pouches. That is where it is now (1 day later) and I'm not sure where to go from here. HELP PLEASE! :,(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
All you can do is wait and see if any damage was done. However, from the vast number of incidents of spills on notebook computers we get here in our forum, usually if the machine was on when the spill occurred, it probably suffered damage. And unfortunately it doesn't matter if the soda was a diet type or not, liquid causes electricity to conduct which in turn causes shorts. Your machine really needs to be opened up and dried out. Good luck with it but be prepared for bad news.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I immediately left and went to my school IT division. They gave me an air tight bag and silica gel pouches. That is where it is now (1 day later) and I'm not sure where to go from here. HELP PLEASE! :,(

Since you are already working with your school's IT division…I would ask them what next steps they recommend. This way you are following their procedure in this situation…and if there are some sort of liability concerns…at least you are following what they recommend.

This is assuming that this computer is one you've gotten via your school (an assigned/borrowed/loaned computer)…versus a personally owned computer.

- Nick

Reaction score
Like all the other unfortunate posters in this thread, my MacBook Pro (2012 model) was subjected to liquid. I'm not sure how much, as a lot of the spill ended up on me and furniture. (There was a flying cat attack.) The computer did not shut off. I turned it off myself, but nearly quickly enough. I flipped it, and in my panic to try to dry off the keys I pressed the power button and turned it back on. It's now upside down L-shape on a towel. Both times it was on, the trackpad didn't work. It either didn't move the mouse or the screen would do crazy, cycling through all the trackpad gestures. All my windows and documents that I'd had open reloaded when I turned it back on and other than the trackpad problem it seemed to be working.

I'm wondering if it's possible to only have damaged the trackpad, and whether that's a fixable thing. I know it may get worse and not even turn on in a couple days, but I'm hoping for the best. I am not able to open it or take the battery out myself. Should I take it in to Apple ASAP (would be about 16-20 hours after the spill) or give it at least three days upside down? I've also seen people say that they tented a water damaged macbook like an upside down V. Is this a better choice?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm wondering if it's possible to only have damaged the trackpad, and whether that's a fixable thing.

Trackpads are a separate part…and can be replaced.

Should I take it in to Apple ASAP (would be about 16-20 hours after the spill) or give it at least three days upside down?

What would this accomplish? Apple does not cover liquid spills via Applecare (if you have Applecare remaining). And if they open it up & see that the moisture sensors have changed color…then Apple is just going to say you need a new logic board…and want to charge you $500-$700 to replace it.

- Nick

Reaction score
What would this accomplish? Apple does not cover liquid spills via Applecare (if you have Applecare remaining). And if they open it up & see that the moisture sensors have changed color…then Apple is just going to say you need a new logic board…and want to charge you $500-$700 to replace it.

- Nick

I don't know, that's why I asked! I don't buy AppleCare and know water damage repairs are always out of pocket, anyway, but I have no idea if it's something where waiting to address it can exacerbate the problem. I also don't know what the logic board does and whether the track pad problem is an indication of logic board damage. I know essentially nothing about computers.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can certainly take your MacBook Pro to Apple and they will offer to repair it. However, like Nick said as soon as they see water was spilled on it they'll tell you that the logic board will have to be replaced. More than likely that will cost more than you may want to spend. It's up to you of course, but it may be better to wait it out and see if it will work after it's dried out.

Reaction score
Regarding your trackpad: a couple of years ago, I was cleaning the keyboard and top surface with a damp cloth but this must have been a little too damp! The trackpad then also went crazy and sent the cursor off in all directions with a mind of its own. However, this was the limit of the damage and it didn't bother me over much because I prefer (and always use) a Magic Mouse. After a while the trackpad partially recovered and now, on the rare occasions when I'm away from home a don't have the MM, I just have to be very careful. Otherwise the the MPB is OK.
M

Reaction score
Thanks, that's helpful. Looks like taking it in is definitely not a good choice and I'll just wait and see what it does in a couple days. If I can get it back to working order just by buying an external mouse rather than replacing the track pad I'll consider myself very lucky.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, that's helpful. Looks like taking it in is definitely not a good choice and I'll just wait and see what it does in a couple days. If I can get it back to working order just by buying an external mouse rather than replacing the track pad I'll consider myself very lucky.

I think that your plan is sensible. If the computer works…then continue using it. If the computer doesn't continue to work…you would probably need to replace the logic board…which is very expensive. And then we are probably talking a new computer.

If in the long term the trackpad never works again…it is replaceable (assuming the problem is only the trackpad)…they cost about $35 (used)/$75 (new). But if you cannot do the install yourself…you may have to pay upwards of $100+ to have it installed.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
spilled tea on my retina mbp :(

Using a retina MBP 13"(Late 2013), purchased about 9 months ago.

About 22 hours ago, someone spilled some tea on my MacBook keyboard while I was using it - right on the Caps Lock area. It wasn't a huge amount, and I immediately put it in sleep mode (with a long press on the Power key), flipped the computer over and wiped the tea off with tissue. Then I logged back on and shut down the computer properly.
I left it to dry naturally for 22 hours - no fans, no hairdryers etc. During the first hour, I flipped it upside down on a towel but no apparent water came out. After that I just left it open in a natural position on my desk for like 21 hours.

After 22 hours (which is now), I turned it back on and everything (Wi-Fi, keyboard, speakers, display) seems to be working fine.
Have I lucked out and could it be that no water made its way to the logic board, or will signs of malfunction show later?

I live in a country where there are no official Apple Stores - but there are Apple Certified repair centers, and I'm planning to take the computer to one tomorrow.
I'm kind of panicking right now, since this is the first time something like this has ever happened. Any and all advice would be really appreciated.

Reaction score
Hey everyone, hope I can get some help!

Two days ago my mac just suddenly cut out and would not come back on.

I need to say that silly me has got my macbook wet on a few occasions. last year I stupidly spilt a cup of coffee on it but had no problems then with it. The other day I also got a tiny bit of water on it from washing my hand and stupidly having my mac near me as I shook my hand of the excess water. It cut out but fired up again 5 min later. Today it went off again and then fired up a few min later before cutting out again. I left it near a warm radiator and went out. Upon returning it has fired up and no problems so far! What actions should I take? I know Apple won't help as I have got it wet so not covered by warranty! Do I let someone who knows about computers open it up and clean it?

I am going to be very careful now and try my hardest to never get it wet again!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You've been very lucky so far. Usually a coffee spill would kill the computer, and now you've spilled some water in it. Yes, it would be best to have the machine opened up and cleaned properly so as to remove any corrosion that may have formed or left over liquid. If the coffee you spilled contained creme or sugar that's even more reason to clean it. And start saving up for a new computer, there's no telling how long yours is going to hold out. :Oops:

Reaction score
Hi all,

my tale of woe =is =linked =to =an =embarrassingly =high =degree =of =stupid =on =my =part. In =short, a smoothie =i =was =blending =splashed =onto =my =macbook's =keyboard. =My =brain =was =incredibly =slow =- =I =thought =it =would =be =fine, =as =it =only =hit =a =few =keys, =so =I =just =wiped =it =off, =and =at =the =time =it =seemed =ok.

Since =then, =I've =discovered =a =few =things =really =aren't. = +As =you =can =see, =each =time =I +press =space, =I +get =a =lovely =equals =sign. (a =plus =sign =with =shift]

Also, =my =zero =key =no =longer =works =- =which =was =unfortunate, =as =that =was the =second =digit =of =my (now =old] =password. =The =down =and =left =arrow =keys =are =also =out =of =commission, =as =are =the =right =hand =side =alt =and =cmd =keys =(never =knew =there's =be =a =day =i'd =be =so =glad =for =the =doubling =up =of =those =keys!].

Is =there =anything =I =can =do =to =salvage =the =situation, =or =am =I =looking =at =a =costly =repair?

Many =thanks, =and =apologies =for =the =mess =of =equal =signs.

Edit: ridiculously, =after typing this, I ran my finger up and down the space key while holding it down...and the equals thing seems to have stopped...(don't ask me what possessed me to do that - maybe i figured it could unstick whatever had become stuck??] - the arrow keys also seem to have sorted themselves out after the space bar. but no such luck with the zero key.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my tale of woe =is =linked =to =an =embarrassingly =high =degree =of =stupid =on =my =part. In =short, a smoothie =i =was =blending =splashed =onto =my =macbook's =keyboard.

Is =there =anything =I =can =do =to =salvage =the =situation, =or =am =I =looking =at =a =costly =repair?

Liquid spills can be very unpredictable. Who knows what the liquid got in contact with inside the computer.

If it was as easy as just popping some of the keys off the keyboard & doing some careful cleaning…it would be simple (if sticking keys was the problem). But the problem here is…the "equals" sign showing up when the space bar is pressed.

Which is "weird" and unexpected. Under any other circumstance (no liquid spill)…someone might suggest that the problem was a preference setting. But this probably isn't the case here…since the problem started AFTER a liquid spill. Liquid spill = problem. And "problem" in this case = liquid spill (not a preference setting).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.