• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The Gather Inn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
Now that’s being assertive!

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
When a government sez it‘s being transparent I’m always suspicious….I can see right through them.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Morning all. Colder here today, sitting at -1c….will be lucky if we hit +2c today….but it’s snowing…will hit maybe 6 inches….yuk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
That will be headed our way later today. Im hoping it skips over downtown like it often does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Not sure where to put this but I found it rather amusing. It arrived in my email - besides the bad english, note the line at the bottom that I underlined. Well obviously I will have to open this on my work PC to see what the invoice says! NOT! :ROFLMAO:. And sadly there will be PC owners who will open it....

Lisa

FakeInvoice.jpg

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've gotten several of these recently. All from some company seeming to be from Geek Squad or similar. We're more than an hour from the nearest decent-sized city so I've never called them.

I was AFK yesterday running errands and stopped for a bite to eat. I look up and see three or four Geek Squad vehicles nearby.o_O Maybe they sent out a search party. :unsure:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've gotten several of these recently. All from some company seeming to be from Geek Squad or similar. We're more than an hour from the nearest decent-sized city so I've never called them.

I was AFK yesterday running errands and stopped for a bite to eat. I look up and see three or four Geek Squad vehicles nearby.o_O Maybe they sent out a search party. :unsure:
They are stalking you!!!! Beware!!! :ROFLMAO:

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those darn Klingins better hurry up with that cloaking device or I might have problems.:unsure:

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Not sure where to put this but I found it rather amusing. It arrived in my email - besides the bad english, note the line at the bottom that I underlined. Well obviously I will have to open this on my work PC to see what the invoice says! NOT! :ROFLMAO:. And sadly there will be PC owners who will open it....

Lisa

View attachment 38050
I get tons of these…but what irks me the most are the junk calls I get on my phone…..we get so many here it is almost news worthy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I get tons of these…but what irks me the most are the junk calls I get on my phone…..we get so many here it is almost news worthy.
I feel your pain! Recently it is "Medicare has issued a new card to everyone, did you get yours?" I have occasionally argued with them and even asked what they need to know - before I call them frauds and hang up.

Lisa

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
I feel your pain! Recently it is "Medicare has issued a new card to everyone, did you get yours?" I have occasionally argued with them and even asked what they need to know - before I call them frauds and hang up.

Lisa
Hi Lisa, I love when you get calls regarding banking, and They ask for your banking info….shouldn’t the banks know that info if it was legit. I also love the fake Amazon shipment notices or credit card scams. A big one here is the free annual furnace inspection then they charge you for “repairs”.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
While I poke fun at the calls I get and block/report the obvious bad emails, I feel so sorry for those who fall for them. I am actually glad my 91 year old mother does not have any internet devices. While she has gotten the "Grandma I am in jail/trouble" calls she is never taken in. First mistake - her grandkids call her Grams. She also tells them to call their parents they need to deal with it! She is feisty!

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
My favorite is the call from the "Windows support group" to tell me I seem to have a virus and need to log into a particular website and download the "fix" for it. I strung one of them along for about 30 minutes while I went about my business. When I finally asked "Does it matter that I am on an Apple Mac?" all I heard was a click as she finally gave up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
When I finally asked "Does it matter that I am on an Apple Mac?" all I heard was a click as she finally gave up.

LOL, I have done a similar thing several times now and my record so far was for over 30 minutes, and when I told him I am not experiencing or seeing any such problems as he described, and I asked him if that could possibly be because I am using a Mac.

I have never heard such blistering swearing and cursing that would have made a sergeant major blush and seem to go on and on until he finally hung out.

It seems such scammers get paid by the successful hits they make and I guess I wasted a lot of his time. Oh golly gee, am I supposed to feel bad...??? NOT. Still chuckling away...

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My favorite is the call from the "Windows support group" to tell me I seem to have a virus and need to log into a particular website and download the "fix" for it.
I have had two friends who have fallen for that. They had Windows computers. One went through the whole thing and actually gave them a credit card. I had him call his credit card company to stop the charge and get a new card. They hit him for over $360 for a one year subscription. Nothing was wrong with the computer - just the famous pop up windows with a voice recording he could not get rid of.

The other person actual called me when it happened while he had the guy on another phone. I told him to hang up immediately and I would fix the pop up for him.

Both computers took less than 5 minutes to fix.

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used to get tons of extended warranty calls (like the Car Shield ads but not them). After getting several of these I realized they probably didn't know my vehicle at all. The current vehicle was new (under warranty) and the three previous vehicles we owned were not ours anymore.

Once I realized that I decided to see how much they really knew. On the next call, I asked which vehicle we were discussing. Without disclosing additional information I told him that since he called me about an expiring warranty he should have that info already. Once he realized I was serious he hung up.

On another such call, I told the guy I'd sign up if he was going to pay for it. If I was going to pay I had a ton of questions to ask. I guess he didn't want to ask me what color George Washington's horse was, or Lincoln's shoe size.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.