• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The Gather Inn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hi Patrick, here 1inch of snow is a major news story…

That's interesting rps, and I didn't realize that.

I thought all cities back East got lots of snow, and especially those next to the Great Lakes.

So I guess news reports such as these are unusual and certainly not normal:

Winter storm watch issued for Windsor-Essex with up to 30 cm of snow possible

- Patrick
=======

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
That's interesting rps, and I didn't realize that.

I thought all cities back East got lots of snow, and especially those next to the Great Lakes.

So I guess news reports such as these are unusual and certainly not normal:

Winter storm watch issued for Windsor-Essex with up to 30 cm of snow possible

- Patrick
=======
Hi Patrick, Windsor is in the banana belt. We have some of the mildest winters in Canada and can rival B.C. In that regard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
When temps consistently head below 10C I’ll book for the winter tire swap. I think most people at the very least have their winter tires on cheap black steel rims, I don’t think many actually swap the rubber out on rims anymore. This new car I splurged on nice aluminum rims for the winter tires this time, it looks nicer, wasn’t that expensive anyway. And I have AWD in this rav 4 so it’s nice to drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don’t think many actually swap the rubber out on rims anymore. This new car I splurged on nice aluminum rims for the winter tires this time, it looks nicer, wasn’t that expensive anyway.

Unfortunately a lot of local drivers have the unfortunate mis-understanding that Tire switching and mounting and un-mounting tires on the same rims will save them money eventually. They forget that doing so can actually ruin the tire.

As for using aluminum rims throughout the winter months, especially where they use salt and other melting products, they will usually suffer from the corrosion effects such chemicals can produce on the aluminum wheels.

Using a protectant such as WD-40 on aluminum wheels can help protect them, along with some frequent washing or rinsing with clean fresh water.
The “W-D” in the WD-40 name stands for Water Displacement, (W-D), which comes along with the salt and its affinity for attracting water.

- Patrick
=======

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
When temps consistently head below 10C I’ll book for the winter tire swap. I think most people at the very least have their winter tires on cheap black steel rims, I don’t think many actually swap the rubber out on rims anymore. This new car I splurged on nice aluminum rims for the winter tires this time, it looks nicer, wasn’t that expensive anyway. And I have AWD in this rav 4 so it’s nice to drive.
Nice Groove, Toronto has its own driving **** in the winter....and G-d forbid you get a large dump of the white stuff there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh.....the horror!

Oh... Is that due to the fact there is no sign of any barbecue...??? Or the fact that there seems to be some heavy mesh restricting part of your view and what Fall light we might get this time of year...???

- Patrick
=======

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Oh... Is that due to the fact there is no sign of any barbecue...??? Or the fact that there seems to be some heavy mesh restricting part of your view and what Fall light we might get this time of year...???

- Patrick
=======
That would be the snow........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That would be the snow........

Well I would have to say that has to be a pretty feeble excuse for snow, even for the Victoria BC area, at least by most who live in this area... ;-)

For change in topic, have you ever tried Kimchi in your cooking experiences???

Our local Costco normally carried an excellent real sauerkraut that we both enjoyed, but they were out when my wife was shopping recently, but they had a commercial Kimchi in its place, complete with shrimp.

My wife who normally enjoys the sauerkraut said the Kimchi was one of the worst thing she had ever tasted or tried to eat. I thought it wasn't too bad, and it certainly has a bit of heat in it which I wasn't really expecting.

I'm debating whether it would go well with pastrami or corned beef that usually matches up with the sauerkraut and mustard.

I tried some of the smoked beef or local store Deli carries last week, but I think they sliced up the wrong thing or they forgot to smoke it. At least it was tender but it needed some extra seasoning.

I think I will have to try doing my own smoking and meat curing. Brisket certainly seems to be in vogue these days, so much so that its price has skyrocketed.

Do you do any meat smoking or curing???

- Patrick
=======

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Well I would have to say that has to be a pretty feeble excuse for snow, even for the Victoria BC area, at least by most who live in this area... ;-)

For change in topic, have you ever tried Kimchi in your cooking experiences???

Our local Costco normally carried an excellent real sauerkraut that we both enjoyed, but they were out when my wife was shopping recently, but they had a commercial Kimchi in its place, complete with shrimp.

My wife who normally enjoys the sauerkraut said the Kimchi was one of the worst thing she had ever tasted or tried to eat. I thought it wasn't too bad, and it certainly has a bit of heat in it which I wasn't really expecting.

I'm debating whether it would go well with pastrami or corned beef that usually matches up with the sauerkraut and mustard.

I tried some of the smoked beef or local store Deli carries last week, but I think they sliced up the wrong thing or they forgot to smoke it. At least it was tender but it needed some extra seasoning.

I think I will have to try doing my own smoking and meat curing. Brisket certainly seems to be in vogue these days, so much so that its price has skyrocketed.

Do you do any meat smoking or curing???

- Patrick
=======
Hi Patrick, no I don’t do any smoking or curing...my son does but we do not.
With my wife’s current diet I really have to watch fats and seasonings...so when we BBQ it is plain, extra lean meats with no sauces or rubs....pretty boring I guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Patrick, Windsor is in the banana belt. We have some of the mildest winters in Canada and can rival B.C. In that regard.

Hmmm... That seems like it would be quite hard to support considering the facts that I have read for the area... ;)
What are winters like in Windsor Ontario?
Although Windsor is Ontario's warmest city, winters are still severe. Snow depths of greater than 1 cm are seen on about 53 days each year in Windsor compared with about 10 days each year in Vancouver, 35 days in Penticton, 65 days in Toronto, 88 days in Calgary, 120 days in Ottawa, and 132 days in Winnipeg.

You will notice I didn't bother including the real banana belt of Victoria and the general area which is renowned for its super mild Winters... ;)

Brentwood area and North to the end of the Saanich Peninsula and to be about 10 degrees warmer in summer and 10 degrees cooler in winter, and generally more snow, but still very mild by comparison to back east.

Heck, most people here don't even bother putting their barbecues away as they get used year round.

- Patrick
=======

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Hmmm... That seems like it would be quite hard to support considering the facts that I have read for the area... ;)

You will notice I didn't bother including the real banana belt of Victoria and the general area which is renowned for its super mild Winters... ;)

Brentwood area and North to the end of the Saanich Peninsula and to be about 10 degrees warmer in summer and 10 degrees cooler in winter, and generally more snow, but still very mild by comparison to back east.

Heck, most people here don't even bother putting their barbecues away as they get used year round.

- Patrick
=======
We BBQ year round here as well. For the most part Windsor has the hottest average summer temps..B.C. Has equal temps in the day but cools off at night...we don’t seem to be that lucky. We also have a large amount of sunlight here. As for snow, in the 12 years I’ve lived here only used the snow blower 12 times....and mostly due to the snow plows dumping the stuff at the bottom of my driveway. We have had a few really cold spells here. We got caught in a Clipper a few years ago where we dropped to -45c.....but that was a rarity.....we are open to those again due to the topography but for the most part our winters are the warmest and most snowless I’ve lived in.

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Many a years ago, when I was working in London, Ontario the winters were pretty severe. As I recall, maybe falsely, Hamilton seemed to fare better. Toronto had a lot of snow some years - working occasionally - mainly visiting/staying with friends of my wife.

Happy days nevertheless.

Ian

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Many a years ago, when I was working in London, Ontario the winters were pretty severe. As I recall, maybe falsely, Hamilton seemed to fare better. Toronto had a lot of snow some years - working occasionally - mainly visiting/staying with friends of my wife.

Happy days nevertheless.

Ian
Hi Ian, London can be a nightmare. It gets lake effect snow quite often...similar to Buffalo N.Y......Toronto temp wise isn’t too bad in the winter...the issue is snow removal when a big drop comes...and Hamilton seems to be a little better winter wise...what is weird is Nova Scotia, which boasts one of the warmest winters in Canada.....but...if you live there you might not agree LOL....my daughter couldn’t wait to get back to Toronto when she spent a year there.

Our weather is certainly changing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I’ve driven through some incredible blizzards coming from late night shows in London. Clears right up as you pass from Mississauga into Etobicoke though!

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
I’ve driven through some incredible blizzards coming from late night shows in London. Clears right up as you pass from Mississauga into Etobicoke though!
Yup, Groove done that as well...it’s amazing how you can hardly see one moment then as you approach Hurontario.....nada......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hurontario. Used to live on that at the corner of the queensway in 1970. In that red building called the queensway manor. It was so new then when we moved in it didn’t have carpet in the hallways yet. Except the queensway stopped at hurontario and didn’t go east from there. We played in the forest that was there. We’d drive up 10 and pass by all the farms, applewood farms barn and within 15 minutes (or so) arrive at the new square one that was in the middle of nowhere. I got quite the shock in the late 2000s when I drove through that area, all farms then, it was a mass of thousands of new cookie cutter houses (probably stuffed with granite and prefinished wood floors) and massive condo towers. It was insane.

there was still a small sense of the old Cooksville around five and dime I once knew and lived in as a kid.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Hurontario. Used to live on that at the corner of the queensway in 1970. In that red building called the queensway manor. It was so new then when we moved in it didn’t have carpet in the hallways yet. Except the queensway stopped at hurontario and didn’t go east from there. We played in the forest that was there. We’d drive up 10 and pass by all the farms, applewood farms barn and within 15 minutes (or so) arrive at the new square one that was in the middle of nowhere. I got quite the shock in the late 2000s when I drove through that area, all farms then, it was a mass of thousands of new cookie cutter houses (probably stuffed with granite and prefinished wood floors) and massive condo towers. It was insane.

there was still a small sense of the old Cooksville around five and dime I once knew and lived in as a kid.
Yup, Groove, it doesn’t take long for sprawl to overtake areas. I would recognise Bowmanville now do to all the building….and where I grew up…in a small village on #7 highway…my childhood home has the 407 running right through the front room…….

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.