Switching from Windows to OS X without restarting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
I have Windows 7 running on my Mac. In Pogue's book ("Switching..." p. 230) he writes you don't have to restart to get from Windows 7 to Mac. Instead, all you need to do is click on the Boot Camp system tray icon and from the short cut menu choose "Restart in Mac OS X". However, in Windows, when I click on that icon, I don't get that choice ("Restart...")

Is that choice located somewhere else? Is there another way to get to Mac without restarting and holding down the option/alt key?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
The title of this should read Switching to Mac FROM (not to) windows.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Think you have to right click on the icon - and it still restarts your machine into OS X - just don't have to use the Restart button from the menu.

Reaction score
either way your going to be restarting you're machine. The only difference is you won't have to select which OS to boot to on the boot sequence by holding option.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
I am using the mouse that came w/ the Mac and can't "right click". However, I attached a wired mouse that does have a right click. Still, using that wired mouse and a right click, I did not get the "Start" choice that Pogue (see first item above) writes about. Is it just not available on the Mac and Boot Camp (revised) that I have?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
Anyone have an answer to my latest point immediately above, that is the mouse that comes with the Mac doesn't have a "right" click, just a click and therefore instructions to RIGHT click doesn't work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I guess I am confused...What apple mouse do you have ? I have a wired mighty mouse and I right click all the time .

http://www.apple.com/magicmouse/

since I only have the mighty mouse to speak of heres for the magic just in case

Clay

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What Mac do you own?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Anyone have an answer to my latest point immediately above, that is the mouse that comes with the Mac doesn't have a "right" click, just a click and therefore instructions to RIGHT click doesn't work?

If you want to "simulate" a right-click on a one-button Macintosh mouse...just press the "ctrl" key + mouse click...voila...right mouse click!:)

HTH,

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I guess I am confused...What apple mouse do you have ? I have a wired mighty mouse and I right click all the time .

Apple - Magic Mouse - The world?s first Multi-Touch mouse.

since I only have the mighty mouse to speak of heres for the magic just in case

Clay

Do bear in mind that right-clicking needs to be enabled. In Windows, this is done in the Boot Camp control panel applet.

On OS X, this is done in System Preferences => Mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Do bear in mind that right-clicking needs to be enabled. In Windows, this is done in the Boot Camp control panel applet.

On OS X, this is done in System Preferences => Mouse.

LOL I had forgotten that I had had to enable it....Sorry to the OP.

Clay

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
I finally found how to do what my original question concerned. There is an arrow on the right side of the Windows system tray, and clicking on that drops down (actually up) a list of additional items, one of which is the boot camp item/icon. Then, clicking on that gives an additional group of items, one of which is the "restart Mac OS X". Then, unfortunately, you get an another question to answer, to wit do you really want to restart, and clicking on that finally does the restart. Pressing option/alt is unnecessary. Whew!! Not sure it's all worth it, but there it is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.