switchers - top 5 things you don't miss!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15-inch 2.16GHz
I DO NOT MISS NORTON ANTI-VIRUS

2. Weatherbug x 45
3. viruses
4. 2o minute boot time
5. constant freezing

wish i could list more than 5 but i'll save everyone the time..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Pretty much all that makes up Windows...

Viruses
Intruders
Spyware
Trojans
Adware

:black:

I actually still use my Windows machine and don't have any real issues with it.... in moderation that is

Reaction score
I was thinking about installing Windows XP on my parallels, but now I see no need to. I was concerned about microsoft office and compatibility, but I see no issues. Im just loving the pretty UI. I didnt necessarily hate anything about xp, but mac os x is just so much better, for now at least... lets see how I like it within a few weeks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz macbook, 2GB RAM, 80GB HD.
Things I don't miss:
1. Noticeable startup and shutdown times.
2. Using/downloading 6 different programs to do 6 different things. (Burning iso's most recent example)
3. Telling Windows what to do when I plug in a USB device.

Things I miss:
1. mIRC
2. not having to worry about compatibility.
3. being able to find a program for anything.
4. Windows Live Messenger
5. Maximizing taking up the entire screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
black MacBook
Things I don't miss:
1. Third party software
2. Programs constantly freezing up against your will
3. Bsod.
4. Spyware, viruses, etc.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
1. Long boot-up
2. Continuous need for maintenance
3. Having to constantly monitor Processes in Task Manager because my machine is slowing down/locking up for no apparent reason.
4. Poorly written drivers that bypass Windows APIs because they're not robust enough to support a given device.
5. Last, but certainly not least, every time I go to perform a productive task, not having to spend the majority of the time fixing or working around Windows problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
1. A mac doesnt have Viruses,spyware,trojans,loads of spam etc..
2. A mac doesnt slow down too much when you have ton of stuff on it.
3. A mac has quick boot up time and very quick shut down time
4. A mac has Proper plug and play (actualy works)
5. A mac has beauty built in (windows doesn't)

been using a mac at home for yr and a half now. NO REGRETS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Explorer Crashed AGAIN

1. Not there yet - but having just experienced it for the 3rd time in 24 hours I will not be missing Explorer crashes I admit WinXP is quite good at recovering from this type of crash - i.e. you don't need to restart the computer - BUT - ARRRRGH

2. DVDs that work fine; for some reason might crash multiple apps when you try to view them in the non-default application - usually requiring you to log out of Windows and back in to get Windows to even recognise the DVD again... ?? Happened yesterday evening - did crash explorer as well (see above) !!!

3. Windows only allowing you to use Internet Explorer with Windows Update - so even though SP2 supposedly allows you to finally get rid of those MS apps you don't want - Windows update doesn't work with FireFox! (this does not affect the auto-update feature)

4. Bluetooth on XP is a nightmare - or at least it is since SP2 - My Dlink DBT-120 worked ace with my phones and headset prior to SP2 - once SP2 came along it installed some MS bluetooth rubbish and the device just never worked the same again - infact it was so infuriatingly sketchy I gave the device away!

I can't think of a 5th - perhaps that will come to me once I make the switch??

I don't really see the BSOD very often (v. rare in fact) , I know how to keep a machine spyware/adware/malware/virus free so although I have extra apps running to keep the system 'secure' which do consume system resources - I don't really have trouble with said irritants.
I tend to use 3'rd party apps in place of MS browser & mail client which I will do with my Mac for portability anyway (I think) I can't really complain too much about them.

I'm gonna stick with the 4 things I will be happy to see the back of for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
how bout it freaking out over a few programs being open at once even thought you have 1gig of ram. XD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
1. Windows

2. Windows

3. Windows

4. Windows

5. Ctrl, Alt, Delete to close programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 4GB 1333MHz 320GB / 60G iPod Touch
Uhmm just 5? I can think some several hundreds :Smirk:

But ok... here my Top 5 Windows annoyances I don't miss:

1. Constant freezing.
2. Viruses, adware, spyware, etc.
3. Windows updates.:Shouting:
4. Startup and shutdown times.
5. When an app used to go cuckoo (and oh, how they liked to do that), pretty much everything else used to go down in flames with it.

Dishonorable mention:
Internet explorer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2gb Memory, 80gb HDD, Leopard / Pink iPod Nano
when i got my first laptop for college it suggested i install service pack 2, and when i did, it crashed my computer.

i didn't touch the laptop for a good 2 or 3 months.

that was probably my worst experience with a PC. other than that, it hasn't been terrible except for the things listed in this thread. i did hate when the computer froze because it couldn't run something, though, because then you would have to go through the same process again later.

no regrets in switching. 4 days strong!

Reaction score
The most annoying thing about Windows Xp

Every single time I have to re-install Xp Home on my old laptop I have to go through Update ****! Right after installing the OS and running Windows Update the number of Critical Updates is 61 files. Then afer a restart, and running Win Update again its Service Pack 2 update, the longest update I have ever dealt with (Clean up of files takes like 20 minutes, literally). Then after a restart and Win Update again its another 41 files of updates to patch up Ser. Pack 2!! This load of update includes IE7...after this there is another restart. Then Win Update has 6 more updates still patching up SP 2 and two update to patch up IE7, followed by yet another restart!!! All in all I spent 2.5 hours reinstalling and updating Windows Xp Home yesterday. I cannot wait to get my MacBook Pro this week, I will never touch Windows again, only Mac and Ubuntu for me!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac, standard apart from 256Mb VRAM
I have to comment here - as much as I love my iMac and hate windoze, both OS' take a long time to boot from a shutdown, from hibernate or sleep, both are quick - well, OSX is a bit quicker........ (you should wait for SUSE Linux to boot if you think windoze is slow)

I love:

iWork has completely removed my use or need for Microshaft software on my machine, and I can now get rid of Neo Orrafice to where it belongs - TRASH.

Friends still come round and gasp when they see the beauty that is the 24" iMac.

I hate:

The bluetooth keyboard loses it's connection when system sleeps and sometimes didn't re-connect. - whent back to wired keyboard.

The bluetooth mighty mouse did the same. - same as above.

The wired mighty mouse lost it's ability to scroll up and down, and no matter how much I try to clean it, it still don't work. - not buying another, waiting for someone to bring out a good alternative.

[EDIT] ok, I just did a repair of my disc for the first time since I got it last November and stopped S(h)kype autoloading at startup and it boots and shutdown's very fast again :) I apologise for dissing the Mac [/EDIT]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz C2D, 2Gb, 160Gb 256Mb Vram, OSX Leopard!, ViewSonic 20" Widescreen TFT
My Macbook Pro is in the post, but the things i will miss are

1, long startup times (my current pc boots to the login screen pretty quick but once logged in, takes around 5-7 minutes before its ready to use)

2, the pain of having to re-install every 6 months or-so. It takes days! (i was preparing my laptop today ready for sale, so i just deleted everything, removed the accounts, de-fragged, and did a proper disk-wipe of all blank space as i couldnt face the re-install

3, Office!! Im no Word expert but simple page layout in Word is a major pain in the a**

4, having hundreds of little apps installed because i cant find one that does just what i want.

5. I'm not certain this is the case, but this is based on my experience of the lovely new Imac at the local reseller - The intrusiveness of windows. It annoys me when typing and another window steals focus. This didnt seem to be the case when using OSX yesterday - can anyone correct me in this case?

Reaction score
(try to run an .exe)

Whoa there camper! That there's an EXE. You sure you wanna do that?

(yes)

Are you sure you want to do that? SURE sure?

(yes ****it)

<doot doot doot>Windows mindreader has detected something happening. Would you like to continue?

(YES!)

etc etc ad infinitum

Reaction score
Someone has clearly not been forced to use Lotus Notes :)

I would give anything to use Outlook over that.

Absolutely!!! You know a product is bad when you are virtually begging for the Micro$oft alternative of the product. In all seriousness, the biggest concern I had when I accepted my current job is that they use Lotus Notes. I know lots of people who say it is probably the best e-mail system for large corporate environments, but the client for it SUCKS!!!

Reaction score
OOOOOHHHH I have a lot but I will only list 5.

1.) "A new device has been found" When you click on the ballon it leeds you into an install box that leads to nowhere.

2.) Internet Explorer, enough said.

3.) When you buy a windows computer it is loaded with S### (Norton, Mcgafee, AOL etc etc)

4.) Mail in Mac is easy, Outlook is horrible!!!

5.) Word and Excel are complicated. Pages and Numbers make making spreadsheets and documents easy.

Oh Gosh I have to add a few more:

6.) On Vista, I hate when the screen goes black and a dialog pops up every time you open a program or change a setting.

7.) "This webpage requires an active "X" control..."

8.) Install updates every other day.

9.) You have to upgrade your whole computer for the new operating system.

10.) You better save your documents every five minutes before the computer crashes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz MacBook (4Gb RAM) + Dual 3.2 Xeon MacPro (16Gb RAM) + iPod Touch 32Gb
Coming from an XP and Vista scenario, running Vista and XP MCE at home, and supporting hundreds of 2000 and XP clients at work, here's my top 5.

1 - Vista. Just when XP was stable enough for most users, and the hardware had enough grunt to run it at a decent speed, we had Vista dropped on us. Now, a home computer which would have been enough to power a nuclear power station not that long ago can barely run Microsoft's new O/S.

2 - "Start" - everything "Starts Here". No matter where my mouse is, no matter what I want to run, I have to head back to the bottom left hand corner of the screen (a pain with high-res widescreen) trawl through the start menu hunting down my application like I'm looking for a number in the telephone book.

3 - Loading times. When I press the power button, I want to be able to use my computer at that moment. A bit like when you switch on the TV, or turn the key to your car. I don't want to be left feeling like I've just asked the shop assistant for something not on the shelves, waiting patiently, albeit a little stressed because I could be doing something better with my time.

4 - Stability. I'm running lots of apps over multiple desktops in my Windows environment, yet it feels like I'm balancing on a tightrope juggling angry badgers. On my MacBook 2.2 with 4Gb of RAM, same or similar apps, multi desktops, it just gets on with it, and lets me get on with doing what I set out to do.

5 - Work Mode. As "Group ICT Manager" I use Windows and Microsoft Office suite all day long. I'm used to it's quirks, I'm used to treating it like someone who has just come out of intensive care, small steps, speaking slowly, and like my suit, I'm used to it at work. When I get home, the last thing I want to see is the same set of icons and problems that I face while at work.

OSX for me is like the 7 year itch, only it took 2 decades. It's like I've ditched my old nagging, too-familiar, unfriendly, forced-me-to-change partner, and run off with a younger, better-looking super model who knows how to have fun.

Bring on the good times.:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.