switchers - top 5 things you don't miss!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
1. This program is not responding
2. XP telling me there are unused icons on my desktop
3. Internet Explorer . . . okay there are other, better browsers butI'll always think of IE when I think of XP.
4. Ugly icons (the icons on OS X are a work of art)
5. Windows Updates - too many of them (a worrying amount of security updates)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro Leopard 2.0GB RAM 2.6GHZ Core 2 Duo 250GB HDD
Outlook is one ugly program. But I do miss it dearly. From organizing email in folders Under mailboxes, to separate colors for different appointment catagories without having separate calendars. The to do systems was pretty nices as well. It also synced well with my TX (not catagories for some reason, sucked) Spent some time with entourage and almost killed myself.

I've set up ical, and mail to manage things but would love an inexpensive total management system. Email, calendar, todo, lite project management, and time tracker.

bone

hahaha that is ture, i dont think outlook is complicated, i usually search for how to add my email accounts on it suchs as yahoo hotmail (possible with a plugin?) Verizon accounts.. i just hated how ffffffugly it was, i love ENTOURAGE. Why is Microsoft office sooo much prettier on Mac?

I don't miss in PC
1. Slow boot up time & Slow to turn off PC, sometimes things crash when i am trying to turn off the comp and then that makes it even slower
2. Stupid Internet Explorer that is the default explorer for about anything. IE is annoying.
3. Mac GUI is much prettier
4. Thousand things you have to do when you first buy your PC
5. Stupid verifications you have to do with windows when you want to download a software from microsoft.. Third party softwares you have to install.

I do miss in PC

1. these websites that requires you to have IE
2.My Video games that i can't play on my Mac, thats why i have a PC
3. Lots of softwares made just for PC, where in Mac i have to search for alternatives
4.umm PCs cost less...? yes i think they do
5. Windows is very compatible with about everything... i feel like an outcast with Mac comps lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
If I ever had to use Outlook, I would probably jump into moving traffic. :D

Someone has clearly not been forced to use Lotus Notes :)

I would give anything to use Outlook over that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Well I still user XP daily at work and load it up in Parallels almost daily on my MacBook... BUT... the 5 things I don't miss are:

- Having to restart the machine because the firewall or anti-virus have been updated

- 15 seconds after the desktop is shown, still not being able to launch an application because windows is still loading the Anti-Virus, Spyware Checker, Office Launcher, MSN Messenger and all the other crap into the tray

- USB devices randomly disconnecting (I was never sure if this was a bug or I was doing something wrong, but it plagued all of my Windows machines for years)

- Latency in Cubase 2sx

- Defragging the HDD every time I install a sensitive app or start a new song

:miner:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Someone has clearly not been forced to use Lotus Notes :)

I would give anything to use Outlook over that.

You as well? I'm forced to use it at work. Why oh why we cannot use Outlook I'll never know. I just love the way Journal entires cannot be attached to emails and the fact you cannot link emails, documents and calendar entires together without attaching them to the email. Oh and the fact that if it crashes (which is often) you have to restart the machine.

It's times like this when I think, Microsoft ain't so bad...:girl:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
Unfortunately my primary machine is still an Athlon 64 laptop until next September, so I have to suffer using XP (MCE2005).

Anyway, the top 5 things I WON'T miss:

1. Silly pop up balloons when I plug in devices/need to update etc

2. When an application hangs, it takes ages to do anything and ctrl+alt+del force quitting doesn't work then does a load of system dumps.

3. When there are random periods of disk activity, even though I am not running any tasks or background AV scans etc.

4. After a couple of months of use, it just seems to run so slowly and needs to be reformatted anually (which reminds me, it's almost that time!)

5. Ugliness of Windows software/hardware in general.

Reaction score
Things I Don't miss about XP:
-The lack of anything like Expose
-Windows command line sucks
-Having to restart after installing anything
-Needing to worry about drivers
-After updating, without my knowing it, Windows telling me that it will restart when the counter reaches zero, unless you intervene. Really annoying considering I usually walk away from my computer for about 5-10 minutes at a time.

Things I miss about XP:
-The start menu (Somewhat)
-Games (I don't play many anyways)
-Hardware & Software compatibility

Things I miss about Linux (Fedora, specifically):
-All programs being free
-being able to download & Install a huge list of programs
-Multiple desktops
-How the program menu )Equivalent of the start menu) is organized

U

usabodyguard

one thing that does kind of irritate me with my new macbook pro is that if i dont lok dead onto the screen it gets dark... maybe because i have the glossy screen and the 17" screen... hmmm, and yea the brightness is up all the way. i guess i will get used to it... i have only owned a mac for less than 24 hours... heh!

Shhhh! My family business is building and repairing PC's!! lol... my mom came in and asked if i bought the new laptop from them and i told her it was a mac, she looked at me funny then walked away shaking her head... lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Ah this will come in due time. :)

Multiple desktops are here now. I'm using VirtueDesktops now since I don't want to wait for Leapord and really like Linux's multiple desktop feature and felt compelled to have it in the Mac world. It works a little different, but it works quite well.

Lotus Notes is a love/hate relationship for me. Its calendering just plain doesn't work well.

As for my top five, let's see:

1. Aforementioned, but yes, stupid balloons telling me about USB devices with accompanying chime. Along with balloons telling me that the wireless network is connected.

2. Windows helpfully asking me what to do with all of the media on my thumbdrive when I connect it. Mac OS just pops an icon on the desktop which I'll deal with when I get to it.

3. Click....click to rename a file. On Mac OS I select the file and hit the enter key and I can then rename it. On Windows hitting enter tries to launch whatever app the file is associated with.

4. Command line interface is crap. Though this is assuaged by the use of cygwin.

5. General "It looks like you're doing a blah, would you like me to blah something for you?" type of behavior. A Mac makes things easier to do in general, but it doesn't assume that you are stupid. Yes, I have plans for the stuff on that thumbdrive, but they don't involve Windows Media Player, or MS-widget, or any number of useless suggestions Windows makes. The Mac pretty much assumes you kind of know what you're doing.

My wife had a week long hospital stay recently and I provided her with my employer supplied laptop for multimedia (we both use Mac Minis) during her stay. Sure, she could play DVDs, movies, keep her iPod charged and chat with me over the wireless internet but at the end she was very glad to relinquish it back to me and get back to her beloved Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Reaction score
Win XP
+ It have more programs for XP than OS X
+ Same programs run faster on XP then OS X
- Not safe
- Ugly UI
- Not stable
- Crashes
- Slow boot time
- Program install/deinstall

Mac OS X
+ Beautyful UI
+ Dashboard and spotlight
+ Superb iCal
+ UNIX baset that means very very stable, never crashes
+ No virus, trojan, spyware, adware problems
+ Very fast boot
+ Expose
+ Automator
- Programs boots and work slow
- Doesn't have 3D Studio MAX for Mac (it's my problem)

At all OS X is years forward than Win

Reaction score
of course windows does lots of things very well and there are a couple of things it does do that i miss (multiple file rename in explorer!). but those things aren't what this is about...

Maybe this is a little off-topic, and I hope it hasn't been addressed yet, but it's actually very easy to do batch file renames on Macs with Automator.

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
it has been said. but there is no way to do it simply from finder as you can with explorer (which is incredibly handy).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
The top 5 things I don't miss about Windows:

1. Having to purchase 90% of the software needed to use a computer.

Mac OSX has so many useful items included, and what isn't included is legally free. The OpenSource movement, and the quality of Freeware available for OSX has astounded me thusfar. I've yet to find a freeware app that is as good as Nero 7 Ultra, however, but I still have a PC if I want to do weird things as far as burning a CD. A few things I haven't tried, though I want to, is ripping my DVD's to the HDD and being able to just play them that way. If anyone knows how to do this, I'd be grateful for some insight.

2. Having to use third-party software to make the OS as useful as it should be out of the box.

I use Stardock products to supplement the lack of functionality XP has compared to OSX. I use ObjectBar to immitate Dashboard (though it doesn't have the cool function of Dashboard allowing it to wash over the desktop at the push of a button) and ObjectDock to immitate Dock (in some ways this is actually superior to Dock, such as the ability to make the Dock background completely transparent). I also use WindowBlinds to skin the whole OS, which isn't bad, but there are so many varied interfaces under XP that won't skin properly, leaving a bit of a perplexing situation: Do I skin for pretty, or leave it bland for functionality? To make matters worse, skinning the OS, adding ObjectBar, and adding Object Dock all consume the ever-precious system resources, leaving you with 90% (on a really good day) of your computer left to use.

3. All of the stuff that has to run in the background.

Under Windows 9x and above, there are a bajillion things that run in the "System Tray" that consume a ton of system resources. Some of these can be eliminated, but some of them can't. To make matters worse, if you don't have a perverbial doctorate of Windows, you won't know how to keep some of things from running. Add to the the frustration created by buying a new computer and having all of the pre-loaded stuff running in the background, and you may just have an annurism.

4. Pre-loaded software.

Under OSX the pre-loaded software bundle is a blessing, allowing you to use your computer right out of the box, the way it was intended. Minimal trial versions or hand-cuffed demos of software are included, leaving you with a very good computer and no additional coin needed. With a PC you spend the first few hours reformatting, repartioning, and re-installing, followed by several hours of uninstalling the pre-installed software, seeing that you don't get a Windows CD with a new PC - you get a System Recovery disc, which will re-load your computer as it came from the factory.

5. Frequent System Maintenance.

To keep a healthy PC, a rigorous maintenance regimen is required. An anti-virus program running in the background, a third-party passive firewall (the one in XP might as well be an open door), and an extra-cautious mindset when downloading or opening email is a necessity. Frequent HDD defragmenting sessions are also required, though using Norton Speed Disk the painfully slow (days) of using the included defragmenter can be avoided. Although using the NTFS file system over the FAT32 file system avoids some of the inherent HDD fragmenting, the OS as a whole is not very good at cleaning up after itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz macbook, 2GB RAM, 80GB HD.
I just ordered my macbook, and I'll have it by tomorrow. I'm super excited to use stuff like garageband and iMovie. But this thread has actually made me a little less excited for it. The problems that people list on XP I've never really had. And I wonder what new stuff should I really be looking forward to? I didn't have any problems with windows what will I be loving about OS X? (I'm scared that I'll miss right click)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 80GB Hard Drive, Double-layer SuperDrive
Top 5 Things That I Do Not Miss:
- Frequent Lock Ups
- Balloon Popups Asking Me To Install Updates(JUST DO IT ALREADY!)
- Internet Explorer
- Installing Drivers
- No Integration Between Applications

Reaction score
lets see... off the top of my head

1) viruses
2) appearance
3) boot times
4) updates
5) internet explorer

theres many more reasons why but that'd be a waste of time to list em all... besides, i actually use windows quite often to play all sorts of games...

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well, i didn't have a chance to miss this...

my wife just got a logitech web cam for her 15" HP pavillion notebook. she tried installing it and it wouldn't let her.
she told me that service pack 2 wasn't installed. i thought that was weird, but then rememebred that by the time i had handed it down to her, SP2 was out, but people were complaining of so many problems that i decided to wait a bit. then i gave it to her when i bought a new 17" HP notebook. it hadn't been updated since. probably somewhere between 9 and 15 months.

so, we updated it to SP2.
and then we checked for security updates...

oh, my, god! 69 missing security updates!

we started the process at about 4pm cst (about 4 hours ago). i would guarantee it's still going (luckily i'm at work now!).

i wish i could have missed that!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.