Suspicion of being hacked

Reaction score
Hello, I had this problem on my 2017 MacBook Air, high sierra, where my cursor would suddenly move a little bit without me doing anything, this problem went away and came back several times in the span of one year and a half, I downloaded clean my mac on my computer and the machine came out clean (also I never downloaded anything from a suspicious website that I’m aware of) . But I’m still worried that’s someone had been able to remotely access my computer all that time. I have searched in the web for answers but it always gives a solution if you where using a mouse not a touchpad, so Was this behavior evidence that my computer was being hacked? Or was it just a touchpad problem?
If anyone could tell me what happened I would really appreciate it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I understand that you are concerned about your system but there's no need to start multiple threads on the same topic. Lets keep everything in one place so we cans all the answers together.

I'm sure some of our other members will have additional thoughts but I doubt that you have been hacked. There's probably something else going on here. I have a few questions to get things started:

1. What apps have you installed from right before this stated till now?
2. What solutions did you find that you didn't think were relevant? As far as the OS is concerned I suspect there are many similarities in how these two devices are managed.
3. Do you have anything that loads automatically at startup? One place to look for that information is to look at the Users & Groups preference pane and look at the login items for that account?
4. Are you running any anti virus software such as Norton?

OP
F
Reaction score
hi thanks for responding,
i had my mac for about a year and a half, I have only downloaded the following apps, chrome, flight gear, flume, blue stacks, steam, gog (a game site) and brave, and none of them have I downloaded from a sketchy website, I think i started having this problem on April last year where my cursor would move just a little without me doing anything, at first I got scared and deleted bluestacks and headed to the web to try to find out what was happening, it said that it was a hardware issue so I thought I was ok but for the next 8 months the problem came and went and I started to suspect it was something else so I decided to reset my mac, that didn’t work and for the last 3 months the problem kept going and coming, it had been the same until I decided to reset again my mac because my instagram account got hacked and I prevented some files that I dont remember starting to download from being downloaded on chrome. before final reset I remember going to the share settings on my mac to find that everything was turned off, but I still didn’t want to take my chances

3. Do you have anything that loads automatically at startup? One place to look for that information is to look at the Users & Groups preference pane and look at the login items for that account?

I had only steam run from startup, and in activity monitor the last time I checked the most cpu consuming app was chrome but I checked that like two months ago.

4. Are you running any anti virus software such as Norton?

i used clean my mac x

OP
F
Reaction score
Also, I used to download 3d models but from trustworth websites, I never downloaded anything that seem suspicios.

Reaction score
Whenever there is a problem with your Macintosh, the solution is just about NEVER that you've "been hacked." I've been writing about the Mac professionally for 36 years, and helping users on various forums, and after all that time, and being in contact with hundreds of thousands of Mac users, I've yet to hear even a single verifiable instance of a Macintosh user being hacked. Even at hacking competitions expert hackers had to be given physical access to Macs to be able to hack them. It just isn't a "thing."

Having one's cursor move seemingly of its own volition on a Macintosh laptop isn't at all unusual to hear. Usually it's due to one of two things. The first is accidentally rubbing against the trackpad with a part of your hand without realizing it. The second is having your laptop's battery swell. When the battery swells it presses up against the trackpad and causes anomalous results.

Apple has had some recalls of their laptops in the past for swollen batteries. Almost always the first sign of trouble is a trackpad that isn't working as expected. Usually this happens with Macbook Pros rather than Macbook Airs, but I've heard of it happening with Macbook Airs too. It would be wise to take your MBA to an Apple brick and mortar store and have them have a look at it. Swollen batteries can be a safety hazard and I've even heard of instances where Apple replaced the user's battery for free even if it wasn't covered by a recall. (Which is not to say that they will necessarily do that for you. But its been known to happen.)

More information:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Having one's cursor move seemingly of its own volition on a Macintosh laptop isn't at all unusual to hear. Usually it's due to one of two things. The first is accidentally rubbing against the trackpad with a part of your hand without realizing it. The second is having your laptop's battery swell. When the battery swells it presses up against the trackpad and causes anomalous results.
I should have thought of both possibilities. I've done the first one so much that I turned off the trackpad on my 2008 MB Pro and used an external trackpad. I have what my high school typing teacher referred to as "lazy hands". LoL

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Whenever there is a problem with your Macintosh, the solution is just about NEVER that you've "been hacked." I've been writing about the Mac professionally for 36 years, and helping users on various forums, and after all that time, and being in contact with hundreds of thousands of Mac users, I've yet to hear even a single verifiable instance of a Macintosh user being hacked. Even at hacking competitions expert hackers had to be given physical access to Macs to be able to hack them. It just isn't a "thing."

Apple has had some recalls of their laptops in the past for swollen batteries. Almost always the first sign of trouble is a trackpad that isn't working as expected. Usually this happens with Macbook Pros rather than Macbook Airs, but I've heard of it happening with Macbook Airs too. It would be wise to take your MBA to an Apple brick and mortar store and have them have a look at it. Swollen batteries can be a safety hazard and I've even heard of instances where Apple replaced the user's battery for free even if it wasn't covered by a recall. (Which is not to say that they will necessarily do that for you. But its been known to happen.)

More information:

Wait, you're telling me what I see on TV about people hacking everything in 10 seconds isn't real? GetOuttaHere!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wait, you're telling me what I see on TV about people hacking everything in 10 seconds isn't real? GetOuttaHere!
Yeah. In the real world it probably takes more like 30 seconds. A minute if you've got a really tough password.:)

OP
F
Reaction score
hi thanks, for responding it’s relieving to hear that macs being hacked it’s rare, I have suspicion that my problem was battery related is there a way to check if that was the case?

Reaction score
hi thanks, for responding it’s relieving to hear that macs being hacked it’s rare, I have suspicion that my problem was battery related is there a way to check if that was the case?

Yes. I gave you a link in my post. If you follow that link there is a comprehensive series of steps to diagnose the sort of problem you are having, including a test to see if the problem is that the battery is impinging on the trackpad. Here is the link again:

However, let me reiterate that you should take your laptop to an Apple brick and mortar store (if you can), and if you can't, call Apple Support and arrange to ship it to them. Swollen batteries are a safety hazard. It's unlikely that you would be willing or able to replace your battery yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Obviously not being able to see the MBA I can only comment on my experience in repairing them. Normally if the battery was swelling it would limit the downwards travel of the trackpad. In most cases this effects the trackpad clicker. The trackpad itself can fail causing intermittent wandering of the cursor. Sometimes this can be caused by a minor liquid spill around the gap around the trackpad and the top case. I would say almost certainly you have not been hacked. Purchasing Clean my Mac was a waste of money, should have asked here first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
A qulck check is to get a long ruler or straightedge and place it across the MBP below the keys and above the trackpad. It should be perfectly flat, in touch with the case all the way across. Any bulging in the middle that keeps the ends from touching is due to battery swelling and pushing on the case. Not bulging doesn't show NO swelling, but bulging definitely is not good thing.

OP
F
Reaction score
Hi I’ve just done what Macinwin advised me to do and it appears i have no bulging, the Rulers sides came in contact with the case all the way. I think my issues may be related to the cheap 3rd party charger that I have always used, I had this problem that my mac overheated while charging, Is there such thing as temporary bulging? Can my cursor problem be related to the charger in anyway?
thanks,

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In my experience it seems that it can if the charger is well below the power level the computer. One morning I got the low battery warning so I grabbed a charger. I accidentally grabbed an iPad charger by mistake. I got some really erratic behavior (including cursor behavior) during the few minutes it took for me to realize my mistake.

Check the specs on the charger you are using. IIRC the 2017 MacBook Air needs at least a 45 watt charger.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Is there such thing as temporary bulging?
No. What causes the bulging is minute amounts of contamination in the Lithium of the battery. Just a few hundred atoms will initiate the creation of hydrogen, which causes the swelling. Once it starts, it doesn't stop or "heal." The reason it is dangerous is hydrogen is flammable and the presence of electricity that might cause a minute spark and hydrogen that burns could cause a fire to start.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Just catching up a bit here, brother are you kidding me and the TV acting episodes aren't actually real or based on fact. That's misinformation and misleading and doesn't account for me as to losingn some files that disappeared from my desktop///

BTW... I never knew that hacking could be so quick and simple... It really is amazing... Thanks for the updated information... :agree :a

- Patrick
=======

OP
F
Reaction score
Follow the link that I posted!

It's the FIRST point in the FIRST answer by Linc Davis.

I appreciate you sending me that, i already read it, the first point says that it might be the charger but it doesnt say how to confirm that was causing the problem. the charger says Its the right voltage but it may be damaged or defective and it may not provide enough wattage is there a away room actually check how much wattage the mac is receiving?
-thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are several counterfeit/low-quality chargers on the market and some do not generate the required wattage. Here's a discussion that focuses on the IOS dec=vice charger but the same issues apply to Mac chargers. How to Identify a Dangerous Fake Apple Charger %

Others may disagree but I think you have two choices:
1. Buy an Apple charger from a trusted source. Preferably from Apple since there are many counterfeits out there.
2. Buy a trusted third-party charger from a company with a reputation for quality. I use ANKER chargers for my phones and they make some that produce enough juice to charge notebooks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.