Suggested wireless printer for 2016 MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 Mini, 2020 MacBook Air
I'm searching for a reliable wireless color printer that's compatible, that is one with a reliable wifi connection, with my 2016 MacBook Pro as well as my iphone6 and ipads. Suggestions please with model numbers. I'll be printing color and b/w documents mostly.
Thanks!

I've had nothing but grief from my HP 4630 inkjet. It loses WiFi in short order, and has to be re-started, every time I want to print something. And of course the ink costs more than the printer. Canon and Brother are reliable, and accept generic ink carts that are 1/10 the cost of HP's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I've had nothing but grief from my HP 4630 inkjet. It loses WiFi in short order, and has to be re-started, every time I want to print something.

Can you connect to it via USB or maybe ethernet if it has that capability and maybe save yourself some frustration???

Then if you do need wireless or AirPrint type printing try using HandyPrint.app.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
...Canon and Brother are reliable, and accept generic ink carts that are 1/10 the cost of HP's.

Exactly. HP is well known for programming their printers so that they won't work with third party ink cartridges. Very consumer un-friendly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Exactly. HP is well known for programming their printers so that they won't work with third party ink cartridges. Very consumer un-friendly.

Fortunately, their Laser printers are not as fussy and will take third party toner cartridges. So called genuine HP toner cartridges are usually 3X the price of the generic ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Any brands that I recommend strongly AGAINST? Hewlett Packard. Not necessarily because their hardware is bad. Often it's great. But because their support for Macintosh users is often terrible. I have a bunch of user group members who have HP printers that are bricks because HP couldn't be bothered to update their drivers for the Mac for their model of printer....

I agree with you Randy, and additionally do not buy HP due to human rights issues that I will not go into on this forum.

I currently use a Canon inkjet and Brother mono laser, they suit my purposes but obviously would not recommend them as they are not current models.

Reaction score
I've had nothing but grief from my HP 4630 inkjet. It loses WiFi in short order, and has to be re-started, every time I want to print something. And of course the ink costs more than the printer. Canon and Brother are reliable, and accept generic ink carts that are 1/10 the cost of HP's.

A reliable excellent recent printer is the Canon TS 9550!
Harry Briels

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Regardless of brand and Mac software, I would avoid any inkjet printer that will just not print if it thinks a single ink cartridge might be empty.

By default, most inkjets mix colored ink into black, supposedly to make it darker, thereby (purely as a regrettable side effect, I'm sure) using up your colored inks even if all you're printing are black & white documents. There's usually a single-cartridge printing mode that lets you print black ink without using colored inks, but you may have to hunt for the instructions to do so - they don't make it obvious. The difference in intensity might make a difference in photos, but it's undetectable when printing text.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Amazingly my old HP 4 ML Mac serial port LaserJet is still in working order,

Until just recently, I was using a 1999 vintage HP 4050, with a network card I got on eBay. One of those 70-lb beasts found in offices all over the world, that I got for a song. Eventually it needed parts that cost more than a new laser printer, so it had to be retired. (I don't think "parts" are a thing anymore.)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I'm one of those HP Envy owners too. This unit resides in our home in Australia and I've had it for about 6 years. I don't know which model it it but it's a combination wireless printer scanner with a glass lift up top on the scanner and a pop out touch screen control panel on the front. It's the only WiFi printer I've owned and still works perfectly. Ink cartridges are the killer due to cost but I keep the colour cartridges full and only print in black an white. It is possible to refill them but again I only refill the black.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
My Epson XP-324 takes everything I can throw at it wirelessly from printing, scanning. copying etc. Epson regularly update the software and the cheaper non genuine cartridges work a treat. The only thing that is a little pedantic is the ink levels display in the cartridges. One needs to check the control panel on the front for that.

Reaction score
By default, most inkjets mix colored ink into black...

I really like some of Canon's inkjet printers but I don't recommend any of them that have fewer than their 5 cartridge system. In the Canon PIXMA TR8620 that I recommend, there are TWO true black cartridges. One is a dye-based black, for true dark blacks printed in color graphic images. The other is an extra-large cartridge with pigment-based black ink for printing sharp text documents.

It's really, really import not to just purchase any model of printer, even from a preferred brand. It's important to know which model many users have found to be exceptionally good, and why.

OP
wrkeith
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016);
I've been recommending this Canon all-in-one color inkjet printer (which is the spiritual successor to the wildly popular MX-922 and TR8520 before it):

Canon PIXMA TR8620
$181

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FF2X3PV/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Big Sur driver:

Canon U.S.A., Inc. | PIXMA TR8620

The advantages of this printer are that it prints amazingly beautiful color photos (better than any color laser printer), it has both a sheetfeed scanner, a flatbed scanner, OCR, duplexing, and a bunch of other really nice features. It has USB, Ethernet, Wi-Fi, and even Bluetooth.

The disadvantages are that this is an inkjet printer, so it needs to be used occasionally or the ink might dry out. It uses a lot of ink, but I can tell you where to get ink cheaply, so that's not a problem. While it can print beautiful text, it's not really economical to do so if you are going to be printing a lot of text documents (a black and white laser printer is best for that).

The price is a little steep compared to a couple of years ago, but Covid cause a huge run on printers so the prices shot up.
Purchased the TR8620, smooth wireless setup and relaiable operation/connection, which is what I was targeting. So far, prints great! Thanks for the fine recommendation Randy.

Reaction score
Purchased the TR8620, smooth wireless setup and relaiable operation/connection, which is what I was targeting. So far, prints great! Thanks for the fine recommendation Randy.

My pleasure! Enjoy.

Here is a good source for replacement ink cartridges. These are "super high yield":

Reaction score
Purchased the TR8620...

One last tip. If you will be printing color photos, they will come out breathtaking if you use glossy photo inkjet paper. Glossy photo inkjet paper tends to be ridiculously over-priced, but here is a box of 100 sheets that is very reasonably priced:

Canon GP-701 LTR 100SH GP-701 LTR Photo Paper Glossy (100 Sheets/Package)
$15

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M1OZXQ9/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I really like some of Canon's inkjet printers but I don't recommend any of them that have fewer than their 5 cartridge system.

I purchased a Canon MX922 due to yours and some other's recommendations which has worked out well. and being on sale at the local Staples type store for a super price certainly helped with the addition that at also used the same cartridges I had recently purchased for the previous Canon that stopped printing properly that it replaced, but I am not looking forward to having to replace this one and wade through all the specifications.

Why cannot Cannon and others provide at least a general guide as to what their model names and letters and numbers as to what they actually stand for or represent.

I am not looking forward to having to replace our current printer and I gave up looking to see what the difference is between the Canon PIXMA TR8620 and their Canon TR7620 which is available at our local Staples at a much cheaper sale price.

It seems one has to look at the various third-party sales outlets to discover what the differences might be has the printer manufacturers certainly don't seem to want to provide the information in an easy-to-find place.

What the heck is the difference between their TR models and their TS models for example and how do they compare to their MX models, and each series seems to have their own numerical model numbers which don't seem to have any logical representation as to what they might refer to.

But some typical third-party reviews can be quite handy and informative:
Canon Updates PIXMA TS- and TR-Series All-In-One Printer Lineup (bad link removed)

But not even they are complete at times and I was thinking the Canon PIXMA MX922 with its two paper trays would be very handy, one for regular and one for legal size paper, but I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere that the top tray was only designed to handle small size paper and only discovered the fact when I got it home and set up.

The other feature I would have liked to have had would be for information if there was any straight-through handling of heavy card stock that my old printer used to have, but it's even hard to discover what the heaviest card stock paper each model can be actually handled properly and/or the sizes.

If such a chart exists explaining what the various models models have in the way of features, I haven't been able to find it and I would think it would be very useful for other consumers looking for a printer that would suit their use.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Why cannot Cannon and others provide at least a general guide as to what their model names and letters and numbers as to what they actually stand for or represent.

The answer is: "Because it isn't in their best interests to."

Let me explain. Many years ago I worked as a car stereo salesman in a private store. I learned a lot about how retail works from that experience. Specifically, I learned how a big company maximizes their sales and keeps all of their retailers happy. They do it by what is know as "protecting their channels."

Now, if a company, for example Sony, has a car stereo that has lots of desirable features, great performance, and a great wholesale price (which means either that the retailer can sell it for an attractive price OR that they can sell it at a good margin), they could try and offer it to every channel (specialty stores, electronics stores, department stores, discount stores, online, etc.) as a particular model number. Let's call it model A123. But if they did that, there would cause a huge amount of competition among many retailers. They would all be forced to sell based on price to attract customers. That would ruin the profit margin for every one of these retailers. In time, some retailers would find this unprofitable, and they would stop carryiing this Sony model, and maybe all Sony products altogether.

So, how does Sony deal with this? They create different entire lines for each channel. Sony could just call the same unit by a different name for each channel. Specialty stores get A123, electronics stores get model B123, etc. The problem with this is that consumers will see through this rather quickly, and Sony would be back having a competition problem among retailers again.

So Sony gets smarter. Model A123 has it's own cosmetics and feature set. Model B123 has different cosmetics and an ever so slightly different feature set. Etc. Suddenly, each channel is selling a product from Sony that only their channel has. It becomes extremely hard for consumers to comparison shop, especially based on price (as there is now little to no local competition in a geographic area), and competition between retailers is minimized. All of Sony's retailers are happy, and Sony maximizes the number of retailers who are selling their product.

This concept goes even further sometimes. For instance, the "discounter" channel might tell Sony that they need to have a product that is in a certain price range for their typical customers. So Sony cheapens the product (sometimes both physically and feature-wise) so that they can drop it's wholesale price, and the retailer can now meet a certain price point. The once fine product may thus becomes a POS compared to the same fine product sold through other channels. Very similar Sony products specs-wise, sold through two different channels, suddenly aren't even close to being equivalent. (Remember how I previsously recommended that you never purchase a Canon printer from Walmart, even though Canon is a company known for making some excellent printers?)

You should note here that in thie above scenario Sony has no incentive to tell you what all of the different models it makes are, and what the feature set of each is, and every incentive to withhold that information from you. They are protecting their channel partners.

A few years ago, Brother had an awesome Web site that explained the differences between its many models really clearly. They totally re-vamped their Web site a couple of years back, and now it's a b___h to figure out the difference between all of their models. I guaranty you that they didn't regress in this regard by accident.

One time I was looking to purchase a new vacuum cleaner. I was told that Panasonic vacuum cleaners were really well made. My local vacuum cleaner shop, all by itself, had too many Panasonic models for me to make sense of. So I wrote to Panasonic for some guidance. They must of thought that I was a distributor, or something, because instead of sending me a consumer brochure for one channel's lineup of models, they sent me a sheet listing all of the models that they made, for each and every sales channel. Holy ****! They had, literally, hundreds of models!

Which is all a long-winded way of saying that it is unlikely that you are going to find a good source of guidance to *all* of the different channel models that one manufacture offers. The manufacture, the distributor, and all of their retailers, all equally don't want you to have any such thing.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Great info there, Randy. Do I send you the bill for driving up my blood pressure by telling me something I've suspected for some time—:) Not this specific trick but something similar, at least.

BTW is that the reason so many retailers offer a price match policy? Show them a lower price from another retailer, and they match it. I suspect that they are offering this deal on models only available through a specific channel.

Reaction score
BTW is that the reason so many retailers offer a price match policy? Show them a lower price from another retailer, and they match it. I suspect that they are offering this deal on models only available through a specific channel.

Exactly. Since there is no real competition on identical products, the difference in price is usually inconsequential, and there is no reason not to be willing to match prices. Retailers have no incentive to offer a deep discount on protected goods. (They may offer a few bucks off just to make it look like they are having a "sale".) Keeping prices up is good for them, and all other retailers.

In fact, while it is illegal for a wholesaler to dictate pricing to a retailer, if a retailer is deeply discounting, and thus pissing off all similarly situated retailers, a wholesaler may pull their line from such a retailer for ruining it for everyone (i.e. all retailers).

Forgive me if the last post was TMI (too much information.) Usually I don't talk about business matters such as that, because folks often don't believe it when you tell them about it, and they can even get rather upset.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I can see why that upsets people once it's pointed out to them. I think it often gets interpreted as "I can't believe you don't know that.

I've gotten similar reactions from recent high school grads when I explain why you can't get a new Mac for the same price as one of those sub $500 notebooks. Build quality is part of the issue, but another reason is that Apple charges that much because people are willing to pay Apple prices. Same for the iPhone.

I've also had difficulty getting some folks to understand why the feature someone wants isn't free. Somehow the fact that there are actual costs associated with developing these features gets lost. Apple could offer these services for free or at a deep discount, but there is no incentive to do so. Their stockholders would have a fit if they chose to do so.

Reaction score
I can see why that upsets people once it's pointed out to them. I think it often gets interpreted as "I can't believe you don't know that.
That hasn't been my take. I think that folks get upset because they think that it sounds like retailers are taking advantage of them. For instance, I've had folks REALLY get upset at me when I've told them the true difference between wholesale and retail pricing. It's huge. People can't believe it and so they think that either I'm lying or that they are being f'ed in the a. Neither is the case. This is just how business works. (It's good to be the boss, and not an employee.)

I've gotten similar reactions from recent high school grads when I explain why you can't get a new Mac for the same price as one of those sub $500 notebooks. Build quality is part of the issue, but another reason is that Apple charges that much because people are willing to pay Apple prices. Same for the iPhone.

I really don't mean to be argumentative, but I think that's a cynical conclusion. If you compare Windows PC's with similar features and quality with Macs, the pricing is not only just about identical, you might come to the conclusion that the Macintosh is a better deal. I don't have any particular Web site at my fingertips, but there are plenty of Web sites that have actually gone through the trouble of costing this out.

Interestingly, this is a similar business thing to what we have been talking about. Apple doesn't sell products "based on price". That is, they don't undercut themselves by selling low-end products. Apple only sells high-end products. By doing so they keep up the value and margin of their entire product line. Back when Apple authorized Mac clones, they really screwed themselves as all of their models were suddenly devalued, and it really cut into their bottom line.

When I worked in the car stereo store, my boss only sold one brand and one model of car alarm. It was $300, which was a lot at the time. But he sold and installed about three of them a day and we made a good profit from their sales. Our distributor wanted to have him also carry a much cheaper brand that we could have sold for only $100. The thing is, even if we sold several of them a day, if it caused us to sell even one less of the more expensive alarms a day, he would have lost money. My boss refused to carry the cheaper alarms because it didn't make sense to sell car alarms "based on price".

Windows PC manufacturers who sell based on price are killing themselves, trying to push products that are POS's that will have endless warranty claims on top of being sold for small margins. Not smart.

Note that Apple has plenty of competition for their high end Macs and their high end phones. If Apple was gouging us, their competition would offer mostly identical products at much lower prices, and Apple's sales would tank.

I've also had difficulty getting some folks to understand why the feature someone wants isn't free. Somehow the fact that there are actual costs associated with developing these features gets lost. Apple could offer these services for free or at a deep discount, but there is no incentive to do so. Their stockholders would have a fit if they chose to do so.

To be fair to Apple, they give away a lot of stuff for free, and those things are tremendously valuable and they could easily be charging for them if they wanted to. The entire Mac OS. Pages, iWork, and Numbers. A bunch of apps that are bundled with the Mac OS which they regularly update with more features. These things aren't cheap little nothings. My conclusion isn't that Apple is nickle and diming us for everything that they can to make shareholders happy. They charge for the things that similar companies charge for, and when they can they offer free things as an extra value for customers, sometimes even when other companies charge for the same things.

Of course, there are lots of Karens these days who want everything for free. But the world doesn't revolve around their wishes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.