Start-up issue with brand new 2019 Macbook Pro 16

krs

Reaction score
This is very odd indeed. If you do go back for another MBP, you might want to have them just open it up right at the store and ensure that it works before you even leave. Also might be good to hit a different Apple Store to get different inventory.
That's what I would have done as well.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So here I am without a computer and seriously considering what my next move is. Should I look at a Dell XPS 15, a Microsoft Surface Book 2 or roll the dice on a third time MBP 16? :cry

The Dell XPS 15 is a very nice machine except for one thing.... it runs Windows 10. Stay away from all MS Surface Book machines as they have a very poor track record. My choice would be another MBP 16 or as one suggestion indicated, buy it from the Apple Refurbished Store and save a few ££ while you're at it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
What a terrible advertisement for Apple products. A few years ago I almost lost faith (MPB 2011 motherboard issues then difficulties with 2016 (free) replacement, all documented in threads here) but felt I couldn't go back to Windows.

Agree a refurbished model, which gives the same warranty and access to Apple Care may be the way to go - or get a new one from the shop (make them switch it on) and ask for a free peripheral or Apple Care as compensation for the hassle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
and ask for a free peripheral or Apple Care as compensation for the hassle.

That certainly seems like a reasonable idea and should certainly be offered.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
We have two of the MBP 16" here at work. Both work perfectly. If you decide to try getting another 16" have them boot it up in the store. And I love the idea of free AppleCare+ for all your trouble.

So sorry you have had such a horrible experience.

Lisa

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks again to everyone who commented on my thread with advice.

Well after returning both the MBP's to the Aple Store and thinking about my options I finally decided to pull the trigger on a Custom order MBP 16 w/ upgraded AMD Radeon Pro 5500M (8GB of GDDR6 memory). Hopefully it will be third time lucky! I'll let you know how I get on....

I wrote a pretty bad review of my experiences in reply to the Apple Questionnaire you get via email after visiting the Apple Store, but I didn't ask for free Apple Care or a Peripheral.... Hoping they would have replied with some sort of compensation but nothing yet :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Let us know how it goes. Hopefully this will be the final time and it will be awesome!

Lis

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I wrote a pretty bad review of my experiences in reply to the Apple Questionnaire you get via email after visiting the Apple Store, but I didn't ask for free Apple Care or a Peripheral.... Hoping they would have replied with some sort of compensation but nothing yet :confused:

Maybe add a note if you can and include the suggestion as a suttle or bold hint.

Some need a good smack or hit on the head to get the appropriate brain cells working.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Retina (2019) & Macbook Pro Retina both on osMac 12, iMac 27' on os Mac 10.15.7
Hi Guys, Newbie poster here with a bit of a horror story to share. I just bought two brand new 2019 MacBook Pro 16 laptops directly from the Apple store in Kingston, UK and both of them would not power up for installation & set-up.

Took the first one back to the store yesterday and they immediately gave me a replacement which has now the same issue. Just got off the phone with Apple support who could not diagnose the problem and told me that I have to return to the shop and return the computer. This will now be my third visit. Have to admit I'm not well pleased but I'm trying to stay calm.

Has anyone else had or heard of a similar issue with brand new 2019 models?

I find the Tech Support by Apple in the UK to be useless. I have a problem I posted on here several weeks ago with my Mac mail, incoming mail never goes into my inbox, it can be in the trash, quarantine, junk etc.
Several experienced members gave me advice, but to no avail. I've now switched to mail.com which is browser based and I can now get mail I send to go into the right folder. I contacted Apple UK at least 3 times, but they couldn't fix it whilst on the 'phone. Promised to email me with instructions, that was 3 weeks ago and still heard nothing. As a Mac user for 27 years I thought I could fix it myself, but no luck. This only happened when I upgraded to Catalina ? Now on osMac 11.1 so I cannot erase my dash cams to MS DOS (Fat) as only have choice of various versions of APFS.

Kind regards to all for Christmas with this Covid 19. My wife and I are still sheilding voluntarily so best wishes to all and keep safe.

Jim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Now on osMac 11.1 so I cannot erase my dash cams to MS DOS (Fat) as only have choice of various versions of APFS.
Can you explain this a bit, please? I'm on Big Sur (11.1) and I get all kinds of options when I format cards or USB thumb drives. Not sure what you mean by "erase my dash cams" but I'm presuming that is you have cards in your dash cams you want to erase/reformat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I thought the cameras offered the option to erase/format/wipe the cards before use.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I can only say that in my case a 16GB flash drive I just tested in macOS Big Sur 11.1 gives me a bunch of formatting options which include MSDOS (FAT) which is the equivalent of FAT32.
Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 10.35.30 am.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.