Start-up issue with brand new 2019 Macbook Pro 16

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Newbie poster here with a bit of a horror story to share. I just bought two brand new 2019 MacBook Pro 16 laptops directly from the Apple store in Kingston, UK and both of them would not power up for installation & set-up.

Took the first one back to the store yesterday and they immediately gave me a replacement which has now the same issue. Just got off the phone with Apple support who could not diagnose the problem and told me that I have to return to the shop and return the computer. This will now be my third visit. Have to admit I'm not well pleased but I'm trying to stay calm.

Has anyone else had or heard of a similar issue with brand new 2019 models?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Maybe a stupid question - did you plug into mains to charge before trying? They don't come fully charged.

OP
S
Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question - did you plug into mains to charge before trying? They don't come fully charged.

Thanks for the reply badshoehabit.

I spoke to a Mac Genius friend of mine last night who said that the MacBook 's generally come with a 80/90% charge new. Regardless, I did charge both computers overnight so two depleted batteries doesn't appear to be the issue.... :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I find I have to press the power button firmly for several seconds to power up (though I rarely switch off). Did they try it in the Apple store?

OP
S
Reaction score
I find I have to press the power button firmly for several seconds to power up (though I rarely switch off). Did they try it in the Apple store?

Thanks Sue.....Strangely enough, when I took the first one back to the Apple store yesterday, they didn't even look at the computer. They just said OK we will give you a new one. In hindsight I should have asked him to try and start it up, I just assumed that I wouldn't have the issue a second time with a second brand new computer ! lol :smarty

I've tried holding the power button up to 10 seconds but get nothing. I also went through diagnostics on the telephone this morning with Apple support this morning. Nothing. The only sign of life I am getting is a random battery on screen logo on low (red) and a lighting logo showing that the computer appears to be charging....

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The battery icon in red means that the Mac isn't charged enough to be able to start up. It needs to reach a certain amount, say 10% or whatever before it will start up. It then continues to charge while you are plugged into the mains power.

It should take no more than 15 mins for it to reach a level enough to start up, so hit he power button and if it still blinks red, then the Macbook isn't charging.

One of the downsides of going to the USB-C chargers is we lost the nice led from the magsafe chargers that gave you a clear indication of charging. Now you just have to hear the "ding" noise to know it's charging, but you get no other visual indicator.

OP
S
Reaction score
The battery icon in red means that the Mac isn't charged enough to be able to start up. It needs to reach a certain amount, say 10% or whatever before it will start up. It then continues to charge while you are plugged into the mains power.

It should take no more than 15 mins for it to reach a level enough to start up, so hit he power button and if it still blinks red, then the Macbook isn't charging.

One of the downsides of going to the USB-C chargers is we lost the nice led from the magsafe chargers that gave you a clear indication of charging. Now you just have to hear the "ding" noise to know it's charging, but you get no other visual indicator.

Yeah, it appears that both MacBook Pro's are clearly not charging enough despite long overnight charges. I wonder if its due to faulty batteries or external Charging units....

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Ashwin.

Yeah, it appears that both MacBook Pro's are clearly not charging enough despite long overnight charges. I wonder if its due to faulty batteries or external Charging units.... :(

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Ashwin.

Yeah, it appears that both MacBook Pro's are clearly not charging enough despite long overnight charges. I wonder if its due to faulty batteries or external Charging units.... :(

You are using the chargers that came with the MBP, right? It is crazy to think that that many MBP's in a row have bad batteries, Apple's quality control is quite good. While the machines do come with some amount of charge, it all depends on how long it's been sitting on the shelf.

Other than using another charger or machine that is running which will show you the charging state, I'm not sure how to test if the charger/cable is working...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB users have had problems with charging cables. Look and see if there is any obstruction - stray bit of plastic maybe (been there!) - in the charging port. Not that you should have this problem with an expensive machine.

OP
S
Reaction score
MB users have had problems with charging cables. Look and see if there is any obstruction - stray bit of plastic maybe (been there!) - in the charging port. Not that you should have this problem with an expensive machine.

Looks clean as a whistle Sue.... :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_7593.jpg
    IMG_7593.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 27
OP
S
Reaction score
You are using the chargers that came with the MBP, right? It is crazy to think that that many MBP's in a row have bad batteries, Apple's quality control is quite good. While the machines do come with some amount of charge, it all depends on how long it's been sitting on the shelf.

Other than using another charger or machine that is running which will show you the charging state, I'm not sure how to test if the charger/cable is working...

Yes Ashwin. I'm using the brand new chargers provided in the box on both of MBP's. It will be interesting to see if a charger at the Apple store makes any difference. I'm going tomorrow and will let you guys know the outcome.

Really appreciate everyone's comments & assistance on this! (y)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It will be interesting to see if a charger at the Apple store makes any difference. I'm going tomorrow and will let you guys know the outcome.

At least your local Apple Store is open and accepting your walk in calls to the genius bar. Most of our stores here in the US remain closed and returning a defective unit or getting one repaired can be a nightmare.

Please let us know the outcome.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
This is probably another silly suggestion but having eliminated all possible causes we are usually left with the "impossible" and sometimes that turns out to be the solution, so, is the power outlet you are plugging the chargers into actually live? I don't mean to insult you but I once spent 10 min thinking I had a faulty charge cable only to find I had not turned the power board on at the wall socket. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have a 2020 13" MBP. I have found if I do not push the charging cable in tightly it will not charge. I have gotten up in the morning and found the battery did not charge all because I did not push the cable in tight enough. It has to be all the way pushed in before it will charge.

Not sure if that will help but it's just something I have run into.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
This is probably another silly suggestion but having eliminated all possible causes we are usually left with the "impossible" and sometimes that turns out to be the solution, so, is the power outlet you are plugging the chargers into actually live?

That sure wouldn't be the first time that has happened and certainly worth checking!!! :D

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
This has happened to me a couple of times too. It just happened last Friday morning when I woke up.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Guys, just back from the Apple Store with an update! I almost blew a gasket right off the bat when one of the 'Geniuses' told that I wouldn't be a able to see someone without an appointment! I calmly explained that I wanted to see someone immediately as I had just made three trips to the Apple Store over 96 hours to purchase and return two broken MBP 16's ! :mad:

After about 10 minutes I was seen by a member of staff whom I explained my issues. She opened up the MBP and tried to start her up using the charger out of the box and got absolutely Nada,...Dead as a Door Nail. Exactly the same results as I had with two computers at home. I was then offered a third band new MBP (16.0 SL/2.6G 6C/16GB/5300M/512GB) but politely declined and instead asked for a full refund stating that my faith in Apple's Quality Control has been tested and that I'd rather look at my options.

So here I am without a computer and seriously considering what my next move is. Should I look at a Dell XPS 15, a Microsoft Surface Book 2 or roll the dice on a third time MBP 16? :cry

Attachments

• IMG_7598.jpg
    IMG_7598.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7599.jpg
    IMG_7599.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 28

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is very odd indeed. If you do go back for another MBP, you might want to have them just open it up right at the store and ensure that it works before you even leave. Also might be good to hit a different Apple Store to get different inventory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
This is very odd indeed. If you do go back for another MBP, you might want to have them just open it up right at the store and ensure that it works before you even leave. Also might be good to hit a different Apple Store to get different inventory.

+1. Or maybe consider buying one from the Apple refurbished store and save yourself a few bucks at the same time.

I would sure be surprised if one of those didn't work as they have already been gone over by a Pro Apple technician and thoroughly tested.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.