SMART Utility says drive is failing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
Dear all,
I've just run SMART utility on my girlfriends Mid 2009 Macbook Pro, Core 2 Duo 2.8ghz laptop. See screen shot for info.

I wonder if i could get some clarification on this. It states no errors but 4 bad reallocated sectors.

Do I really need to replace the HD now? Or could it wait a bit. It's funning fine for now, but a bit slow.
I just erase the disk and ran a pass of zero's over it to wipe out bad blocks, then added a clone of my girlfriends mac to it.

Any ideas?
I can't replace the HD for about a month.

Screenshot 2014-10-11 23.17.41.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It could be a one-time thing, or it could be a sign that the drive is failing and you will continue to have more bad sectors pop up. The fact that it's "running slow" doesn't make me feel confident that it's a one-time thing. This WILL lead to data loss if it keeps losing sectors. Right now, it has only re-allocated 4 sectors, so that may also be a good sign. I would replace it ASAP and make sure she has a safe backup just in case in the interim. Keep an eye on the SMART status, and if it loses more sectors, stop using it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Any ideas?
I can't replace the HD for about a month.

Back up everything up if it isn't already.:)

You may not be able to replace the HD for about a month…but the HD will fail when it wants to (which in theory could be tomorrow).

So just keep backups…and all of the data will be safe just in case the HD does fail.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
SMARTReporter tells no lies. It is on its way OUT!!!

OP
Simbad54
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
Dear all, thanks for the replies.
Sorry, but I forgot to subscribe to my own thread, so didn't see you had replied.
I will get on it asap.
Sadly, my OWN mac has just died, but I'm going to post about that separately.
Sorry days!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.