Should a man even consider new machines or aim for a choice older refurb model these days?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I'll test it, but on the menu, it says that File Vault has encrypted the drive with the user login, no additional key.
Strange thing I know, but that's what I see, let's see with a shutdown.
What menu?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you post a screenshot of this menu? Here is what it looks like in Ventura, but I don't know what you are running.

Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 3.45.04 PM.jpg

As you can see, it's off in my system. I am thinking seriously of turning it on, however.

Reaction score
Can you post a screenshot of this menu? Here is what it looks like in Ventura, but I don't know what you are running.

View attachment 37909

As you can see, it's off in my system. I am thinking seriously of turning it on, however.
I have the same warning, but I have it enabled.

Anyway, I just got confused, basically the master key inside the T2 chip is encrypted by your user passwords, but if you enable FileVault, it will encrypt the entire partition (more than one) with those passwords, so file names can't be seen in case someone takes out the M2, but he also needs the master key, see below.

It's basically impossible even with sophisticated super computers to crack it, plus, you should isolate the master key first, which is not easy to extract, the T2 chip has software and physical security in place, you can't just pull it out...
Even the M2 is soldered, but it should be a bit easier to pull it out, always with the knowledge, skills and expensive tools to do the job.

OP
Toroidal
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023 14" MBP M2 Max 32GB RAM 2TB OS 13.3
Well, since I started this thread, let me put it out there that since my first query I decided to get a new MBP and hopefully will have it in less than 2 weeks. I went with the 14", which is smaller than the 15" I'm used to so the compact size will be nice as opposed to getting something larger in the 16". It is a minimum configuration M2 Max but with 2TB storage, which should be ok as my current 2012 laptop has 2TB and is manageable as I periodically offload data to an external before it gets filled up every few months. I got the space gray color because it looks different and more interesting after all these silver ones over the years.

I currently am using 3 old laptops for different tasks using different software depending on what I need or want to accomplish, so this will be a fourth laptop but the only current one, which will hopefully relieve the 2012 Catalina install from all online related duty.

I'm excited about a newer, larger track pad and the latest iteration of keyboard and display. On the performance front, since my professional software is mostly not compatibility approved for use with M2 Max yet, I'll be exploring the new iMovie render speed and any other features, and possibly looking into Logic Pro as I assume it will run on the newest hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congratulations on the new Mac. Let me suggest that you avoid letting the internal storage get that full. In the new Apple Silicon, the "drive" is not replaceable. It is part of the Unified Storage of the Mx chipset. So, by filling it up, you are going to wear it out sooner, which means the entire logic board will need to be replaced sooner. With 2TB of storage, keep it about 1TB free, 1TB used and the drive will have lots of room for wear-leveling and a longer projected life time.

OP
Toroidal
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, but given the advancements in SSD technology and the high level of SSD quality offered in the Apple computers, I am not worried about it. I've used OWC replacement SSDs for over a decade in high volume work environments and they are still fine despite being significantly lower grade older hardware. It is chilling to think that had I gone with only 1TB I should only use half of it, but if prudent it would only mean that Apple should offer larger storage choices at lower costs for usability. I'm not worried.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 Mini, 2020 MacBook Air
The main problem with a very expensive, very large internal SSD on a M-series Mac is that if it fails, you're pretty much screwed. In the best case scenario, you have Apple Care, and you have no computer until Apple gets a replacement to you. (You don't want to think about the worst case.) I'd much prefer an external drive that can be tossed and replaced in a day if the need arises.
That said, getting double the minimum capacity is a good idea: the Mac is significantly faster with both SSD pads occupied.

Reaction score
The main problem with a very expensive, very large internal SSD on a M-series Mac is that if it fails, you're pretty much screwed. In the best case scenario, you have Apple Care, and you have no computer until Apple gets a replacement to you.

In the best case scenario you have a bootable backup, and if your Mac will be away being repaired for a while you arrange to lease a Macintosh to work on for that period of time. Folks shouldn't be stressing so hard about this.

OP
Toroidal
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only drives I've worried about or seen fail were spinning drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
The only drives I've worried about or seen fail were spinning drives.

You are right. Spinning drives can last a long time - or equally can fail within weeks - rare I admit.

The thing about spinners is that they usually give warnings in advance of their demise. Actions can then be taken to protect your backups and make whatever arrangements are needed to carry on with your Mac.

SSDs on the other hand are rather coy - they keep their slow demise to themselves. When they fail, it's often a sudden event. This is particularly true of the cheaper SSDs; but it can affect the best SSDs on the market too.

As Baden Powell said: Be Prepared.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.