• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Santa Rosa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
yes... still great computers... but everyone knows that we all want the next step up... even though within months of everybody buying the "santa rosa" or whatever the next upgrade is... something new will come out...

we wait for the next upgrade .. then something else comes out... we wait for two upgrades and something else comes out...

it doesnt matter when you buy... within 6 months something else will come out thats a little better... sometimes unnoticeable

Well, it doesnt matter anyways since the MacBooks, MacBook Pros, iMac, and Mac Minis are based on the Intel Core Platform (Core Solo, Core Duo, Core 2 Duo) and not the Centrino platform, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
I appreciate everyone's concern about being stuck in a cycle, and if you are that type of person then most certainly waiting would be a bad thing. But researching a purchase is something that everyone should do, especially if you are going to be spending $2000+ and expect to have it for a few years. If waiting a week means that it may last me an extra few months in the long run, then why wouldn't you wait? On the other hand, if you wait a week and all they announce is they're coming out with an even more glossy screen, then all you've done is wasted as week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I appreciate everyone's concern about being stuck in a cycle, and if you are that type of person then most certainly waiting would be a bad thing. But researching a purchase is something that everyone should do, especially if you are going to be spending $2000+ and expect to have it for a few years. If waiting a week means that it may last me an extra few months in the long run, then why wouldn't you wait? On the other hand, if you wait a week and all they announce is they're coming out with an even more glossy screen, then all you've done is wasted as week.

Yes, but the thing about Apple's products is that they never reveal a definitive date, if any at all. So the ones who continually ask "Should i wait for Leopard?, or Santa Rosa? or any new technology that will be out" are going to hold back on their purchase based purely on speculation. Honestly, what's the point of holding back your Mac purchase just in casesomething new will come out on a date you dont know? If you want a Mac now, buy it now! I promise you wont regret it, even if the processors of the new computers ARE 0.15ghz FASTER!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Yes, but the thing about Apple's products is that they never reveal a definitive date, if any at all. So the ones who continually ask "Should i wait for Leopard?, or Santa Rosa? or any new technology that will be out" are going to hold back on their purchase based purely on speculation. Honestly, what's the point of holding back your Mac purchase because something new will come out on a date you dont know? If you want a Mac now, buy it now! I promise you wont regret it, even if the processors of the new computers are 0.15ghz faster!

I agree, and come Friday I'll be picking up my MBP. My point was more that it's not a bad thing to read up on rumors and articles to try and determine when a good time is to buy. There does come a point where you need to buy, and if you can't pull yourself out of the 'over-analyzing mode', then you really need to not do it in the first place. I, on the other hand, have been driving my wife nuts with all my talk about getting my Mac for my birthday so I'm not waiting any longer than I need. I was simply hoping to hear about what the new release may finally be to see if it was anything worth waiting for or not.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | Black | 2.16gHz | 2gb ram | 160 HDD
the reason i want it is for the speed. its front bus memory is gonna be ramped up to 800Mhz and mbp can expect max processing power at 2.44 Ghz

Reaction score
I know loads of you hate dealing with these question BUT it's usually new switchers, so give them a break!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i agree with most of you, because for me its about making the smart purchase, and for me its perfect, because im not getting mine any sooner than May 25 (graduation), so even tho the wait is gruelsome, i think in the end i'll be even happier with my purchase. And im one of those ppl that gets killed inside when a big release like a chipset gets put on the market right after i purchase the older model

p.s. Im sorta paranoid with this thign cause i bought an xbox during xmas and right after they announced the elite..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
p.s. Im sorta paranoid with this thign cause i bought an xbox during xmas and right after they announced the elite..

Don't worry, they already announced smaller chip sizes available for the GPU (I think it was) for the xbox, so late this year or earlier next year they'll probably be refining the xbox design anyways, at which point the elites (as they are now) will probably come down in price and be more reasonable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16ghz c2d BlacBook 160gbHD 1gbRAM
all my talk about getting my Mac for my birthday

Hahahha I've been driving people I know nuts with this...I'm going to wait just a little bit more, and probably buy around the end of the month or in june...it's been tough holdin out though :Smirk:

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it's been tough holdin out though :Smirk:

god i know how you feel.

do you think this increase in speed will really change my experience on the mac, or should i just get the core 2 duo

Reaction score
im getting a macbook soon but still waiting maybe a new hardware will come out soon. good thing i dont have money yet so i cant buy one now, but as soon as money is available, will get one. probably 2 weeks from now or june. im not waiting for leopard because you can always upgrade the OS once it comes out.

do you think they will announce any new hardware on the WWDC? i know its all about software development but maybe they will give us a clue about hardware.

cheers! :)

Reaction score

Lol I was in the exact same boat you are in right now. I was going to hold out on buying my first mac (MBP) until Leopard came out and maybe a new line of Macs but it got delayed and theres no sign of new macs so I took the bite. It wont even matter in the long run because Macs have a great resell value and I couldn't wait any longer to get my mac. I remember it took me over a year to build to get the parts for my gaming PC (and I don't even game anymore) because a new video card and I couldn't make up my mind even though I didn't need the best but it was just something about having the best of the best but I'm over it now because thats how technology is and thats how cell phone, computer, graphic card, TV, anything technological manufactures make so much money just don't let it consume you and keeping u from delaying your purchase. I can tell you this is probably the best thing and investment I have ever made in my life it was worth every single c-note.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Lol I was in the exact same boat you are in right now. I was going to hold out on buying my first mac (MBP) until Leopard came out and maybe a new line of Macs but it got delayed and theres no sign of new macs so I took the bite. It wont even matter in the long run because Macs have a great resell value and I couldn't wait any longer to get my mac. I remember it took me over a year to build to get the parts for my gaming PC (and I don't even game anymore) because a new video card and I couldn't make up my mind even though I didn't need the best but it was just something about having the best of the best but I'm over it now because thats how technology is and thats how cell phone, computer, graphic card, TV, anything technological manufactures make so much money just don't let it consume you and keeping u from delaying your purchase. I can tell you this is probably the best thing and investment I have ever made in my life it was worth every single c-note.

Indeed. And today is the day for me. I'll be picking up mine tonight with great anticipation.

I'm not too concerned about resell value, since I'd probably just keep it (like my many PCs laying around being unused), or give it to my wife to use for her to check mail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Indeed. And today is the day for me. I'll be picking up mine tonight with great anticipation.

I'm not too concerned about resell value, since I'd probably just keep it (like my many PCs laying around being unused), or give it to my wife to use for her to check mail.

Congrats, Thyamine! Will this be your first Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Congrats, Thyamine! Will this be your first Mac?

Thank you. Yes it will be. Way back when in high school I used them a few times, but otherwise I've been a PC/Windows guy for 15 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you. Yes it will be. Way back when in high school I used them a few times, but otherwise I've been a PC/Windows guy for 15 years.

Same here, My MacBook Pro is my first Mac. the last time I used macs were when I was in 4th grade, My school purchased a batch when the iMacs first came out, it was either 1998 or 1999, and they ran OS 8.

It only took me an hour or two after receiving my MacBook Pro for me to fall in love with OS X! After using it, and learning about all of it's features, youll then notice how much better it is than Windows. And when it comes to apple's harware, you will see how much more superior they are in comparison to their competitors

Reaction score
Same here, My MacBook Pro is my first Mac. the last time I used macs were when I was in 4th grade, My school purchased a batch when the iMacs first came out, it was either 1998 or 1999, and they ran OS 8.

It only took me an hour or two after receiving my MacBook Pro for me to fall in love with OS X! After using it, and learning about all of it's features, youll then notice how much better it is than Windows. And when it comes to apple's harware, you will see how much more superior they are in comparison to their competitors

The exact same thing happened to me pretty much word for word. MPB is by far the best computer and OS I have ever used and I probably won't need to upgrade for awhile.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
even though macs use the same parts as pc, how are they so much faster than windows? i mean os 10 looks so intricate and complicated too and seems like it'd easily crash or slow down with all the stuff that it does.

also anyone have the answer to my question? just stick with core 2 duo or wait for rosa for faster speed, or is speed even an issue, because i love it when i can have 20 diff windows open (*exaggeration*) and have them run smoothly

Reaction score
even though macs use the same parts as pc, how are they so much faster than windows? i mean os 10 looks so intricate and complicated too and seems like it'd easily crash or slow down with all the stuff that it does.

also anyone have the answer to my question? just stick with core 2 duo or wait for rosa for faster speed, or is speed even an issue, because i love it when i can have 20 diff windows open (*exaggeration*) and have them run smoothly

Its probably because Mac programs don't take a whole lot of resources. If you noticed its very easy to install and uninstall programs and it doesn't save that crap to a registry. Don't buy into the hype, theres always going to be another processor waiting to be released even when the super cool new one comes out maybe when quantum core or something that can read your mind comes out you should hold off until it comes out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.