• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Santa Rosa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
also anyone have the answer to my question? just stick with core 2 duo or wait for rosa for faster speed, or is speed even an issue, because i love it when i can have 20 diff windows open (*exaggeration*) and have them run smoothly

If you need it, buy it. If you don't need it, wait.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | Black | 2.16gHz | 2gb ram | 160 HDD
Eve of Release

On its eve of release, anyone have any predictions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
Reaction score
Wishing for a black Imac with the Santa Rosa chipset. :Blushing:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
Well, for naysayers there are a couple of good reasons to hold out for Santa Rosa and the new Intel architectures.

1 - Leopard

2 - DDR3. Not so much because DDR3 will be faster, but so you don't invest a big wad of cash on DDR2 a year before it becomes passe.

If a new box is not a need but a luxury, probably best to wait another 6 months so you get the most out of your money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Well I bought mine and I'm happy. I plan on just buying Leopard when it comes out since software can always be installed (i.e. doesn't have to come on the original system). However hardware can cause problems since upgrading hardware is a whole different ballgame.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
2 - DDR3. Not so much because DDR3 will be faster, but so you don't invest a big wad of cash on DDR2 a year before it becomes passe.

Dance Dance Revolution 3!!!1 sweet!!

Reaction score
Well, for naysayers there are a couple of good reasons to hold out for Santa Rosa and the new Intel architectures.

1 - Leopard

If a new box is not a need but a luxury, probably best to wait another 6 months so you get the most out of your money.

Wait wouldn't waiting for DDR3 (which probably won't be a big difference between DDR2) just waist even more money knowing its going to cost an arm and a leg because its "new" and the price of DDR2 will probably be cheaper. Thats were people fall into the trap of lusting for new technology.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook. 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM :D
If you are worried about spending big money on something that might superceded soon, why not do what I did and go second hand? When I bought mine, I made sure that the model I was looking at was the latest version hardware-wise. For MB this was models made after Nov06 (or so I believed). This way, a big part of depreciation is already done when you buy it and you're still getting the current latest model.

I got my Macbook in black with 2GB for £770, which is about £300 less than it would have cost me new from Apple Store, AND it came with lots of accessories like cases and monitor connectors. It was in overall excellent condition, the keyboard and trackpad had some shiny patches from use, but I believe that would have happened after a while anyway, and I plan to keep this for a while.

Reaction score
I'm not worried. I bought mine because I needed it and don't see any problem with a newer model coming out. Mine will still work with Leopard when it's released. I'm happy and love my MBP. Now, if they release a black anodized MBP, I might have to upgrade haha. :x

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Our initial testing of these systems showed modest gains in performance and battery life over similar non-Santa Rosa models. For now, we think that while the new Centrino platform is not a huge leap forward, it's good enough to quickly become the default choice for many consumers. As we test more new Centrino Pro and Centrino Duo systems, we'll get a better picture of the performance advantages to be found in the Santa Rosa platform."

- Cnet.com
- Dan Ackerman, Senior Editor
- May 08, 2007,

that about sums it up. I mean if they release the rosa in a few weeks i'll get it, but if its any later, screw it im stickign with the current models.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15' 2.33Ghz C2D MBP, 3GB RAM, 200GB HDD
I don't understand what is so great about the Santa Rosa platform and how it will exactly benefit the Macbook Pro. I can see the transition from the Core Duo to the Core 2 Duo as a step up in technology, but when I look and read at what Intel and other component manufacturers are cooking, it doesn't seem like any significant leap in technology that would warrant such a wait. Granted, I do believe the regular Macbook will benefit from Santa Rosa as the integrated graphics solution on the Santa Rosa chipset will be upgraded from what it is currently. Santa Rosa seems nothing more than a small incremental upgrade to an already great line of mobile processors. The current line of MBPs are incredible machines that won't age anytime soon.

Reaction score
I don't understand what is so great about the Santa Rosa platform and how it will exactly benefit the Macbook Pro. I can see the transition from the Core Duo to the Core 2 Duo as a step up in technology, but when I look and read at what Intel and other component manufacturers are cooking, it doesn't seem like any significant leap in technology that would warrant such a wait. Granted, I do believe the regular Macbook will benefit from Santa Rosa as the integrated graphics solution on the Santa Rosa chipset will be upgraded from what it is currently. Santa Rosa seems nothing more than a small incremental upgrade to an already great line of mobile processors. The current line of MBPs are incredible machines that won't age anytime soon.

I totally agree. That's why I had no reservations about buying mine when I did. :D Been almost 2 weeks and I'm still loving it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
I totally agree. That's why I had no reservations about buying mine when I did. :D Been almost 2 weeks and I'm still loving it.

Well... this thread just kinda died out, so lemme revive it. I've been playing with a Sony FZ series notebook with the new T7100 processor (and LED's might I add) at work lately. Man does that thing fly. Blazing start ups, extremely fast at accessing hard drive info (ie. opening programs, transferring data). I can't wait till the MBP's get this upgrade!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats pretty cool, but why is it that my pc has slowed down over time? does teh same apply to the mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
kooBcaM 13"
Wait wouldn't waiting for DDR3 (which probably won't be a big difference between DDR2) just waist even more money knowing its going to cost an arm and a leg because its "new" and the price of DDR2 will probably be cheaper. Thats were people fall into the trap of lusting for new technology.

DDR2 memory may not be cheaper once DDR3 is released, the reason I say this is that right now youll pay more for the older DDR than the DDR2 chips.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 GB at 7200rpms 4GB ram...iPhone 3G
K lets say apple does "unveil" the santa rosa chipset at the WWDC. When do you think they would be integrated into the machines? Within a month or 2? or later in the year.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Why would Apple unveil an Intel chipset, at a developers conference? I find thsat to be strange. I would think the developers would be more interested in OS X 10.5 than the latest chipset.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
Why would Apple unveil an Intel chipset, at a developers conference? I find thsat to be strange. I would think the developers would be more interested in OS X 10.5 than the latest chipset.

Why not? It's a great time to do it. It gives Apple and Jobs the chance to showcase new technology in front of a crowd, regardless of what they're actually there for. Although, I think any kind of "unveiling" might be more in the lines of LED integration as that would definitely be something worth presenting, and then adding Santa Rosa in the mix. Unless there's something else up Jobs sleeve, Leopard and the iPhone doesn't give him all that much to talk about...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.