Run out of application memory

OP
S
Reaction score
Slydude - if you mean verify disk - yes I did and the report was nothing is wrong with my HD.
So that is why I think a reinstall of OS 10.9.5 would be a possible fix. Can you give me the correct procedure to accomplish this task?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
pm-r you have been following along - what is your take on this problem

As I said previously, I'd download and run the OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 Update (Combo)

You can download it from here:
https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1760?locale=en_CA

With prior OS X versions it was a common fix to download and run the appropriate COMBO after an upgrade that didn't always work properly, if fact it was almost the de facto standard method and it sure won't hurt.

OP
S
Reaction score
Update - " You have run out of Application Memory" problem solved. I didn't have to make any changes to the operating system. I went back to the Activity Monitor - memory - opened the app that said "InstallerT not responding" then I force quit that and it disappeared from the list in activity. Now everything is running fine. A week of time trying to find a 2 minute fix - at least I learned a few things about software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
In my Activity Monitor there is one thing that seems odd to me - highlighted in red type it says installer not responding ( with the icon of the open box/ package) Otherwise I don't see any activity that is using increasing amounts of memory but maybe I just don't know how to read this Activity Monitor

Does this seem odd to anyone? What installer is running?? Could this be something that is reloading and trying to install and creating the memory error?

Just wondering.

Lisa

Edit: I wrote this before you posted your fix. Glad to see you got it solved!

Reaction score
Question is, what started Installer? What was it trying to install? Will it reload after a restart?
Did Installer show in Dock? If no, why not?
Sounds fishy, kinda like malware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have been pondering that very thing myself. I guess we will not know unless the OP drops back in and tells us. I "suspicions" there could be malware a foot!

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A quick Google search on "InstallerT" sure get some hits that reinforces the idea of malware being involved and in place, and seemingly often from the same old malware gang of so called Mac helper apps.

Also additional comment from one poster:
"After you solve this, AVOID ALL GRAB-BAG WEBSITES, such as Softonic, Softpedia, Soft32, download-for-mac, and CNET. …"

That sounds familiar and a repeat of some posters here. ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad you got that sorted out. Nice bit of persistence there. If this thing is/was responding after restarts it certainly sounds like something fishy.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
+1.

And an OT note to Rod Sprague, are you sure you have enough versions of "Google Chrome Helper" running according to your screen shot…??? ;) :D

Ah,so someone noticed that eh? Well I wondered about that myself sometime ago so i started force quitting tham just to see what would happen.
Answer; one was for DuckDuckGo search option, one was for Video Downloader Pro, one was for All Downloader and the other was for APB. Apparently there is one for each active extension.
Ya learn something new everyday;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah,so someone noticed that eh? Well I wondered about that myself sometime ago so i started force quitting tham just to see what would happen.
Answer; one was for DuckDuckGo search option, one was for Video Downloader Pro, one was for All Downloader and the other was for APB. Apparently there is one for each active extension.
Ya learn something new everyday;P

Thanks, and interesting info as well.

I've noticed similar type of duplications, but not to that extreme, but haven't bothered looking into them — yet.

One would think they could get all their sh*t together and use a single resource, that is if Apple and their protected OS would even allow that. ;)

Anyway and a Happy Easter to all.

OP
S
Reaction score
"You have run out of application memory" problem not solved. InstallerT is back - It shows in Activity monitor and I have to go in and force quit it or else my computer will crash. I keep Activity Monitor showing on my screen all the time to keep an eye out for this demon. It shows up in red saying "InstallerT not responding". When I see it I kill it but it keeps coming back.

OP
S
Reaction score
My easiest quick fix is to force quit this "InstallerT" and resume normal activity, however I also created another user account which resolves this problem but has the down side of not having all my Bookmarks

Reaction score
Ok, one step at a time...
Look in ~/Library/LaunchAgents for anything suspicious. Better yet just list whatever is there here.
Look in /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons.
Note: Two different Libraries. ~/ is in your Home folder, / is at the root of your drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
There is an app called Find Any File, you could locate the offending file and remove it that way but my concern is it may only be a part of a "set" of files and could be re created. Try ClamXav to see if you have any other malware and Adware Medic may help as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is an app called Find Any File, you could locate the offending file and remove it that way but my concern is it may only be a part of a "set" of files and could be re created. Try ClamXav to see if you have any other malware and Adware Medic may help as well.

It's still useful for such "bundles".

Using the Finder's Get Info on one part the developer will often be shown, and then use FAF to look for any files or folders that contain the associated name. i.e.: for MacKeeper stuff, the developer is ZeoBIT and then just enter it and search and destroy away.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep that has worked for me in the past.

OP
S
Reaction score
pm-r I ran AdwareMedic and it found and removed Spigot and Genio. Now I'll watch and see if "You have run out of application memory" problem returns again but I am very optimistic that the demon has been found.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.