• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Romney to kill Big Bird

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
If it is important enough then we should be able to keep it going with voluntary contribution.

I could name many things that would not work through contributions alone, even though they're "important enough."

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I could name many things that would not work through contributions alone, even though they're "important enough."

So can I but that is not the way this argument is usually presented. Mention cutting/changing any program in the federal budget and someone will appear implying that you are a horrible person who must hate the people affected by that program.

This kind of discussion would be almost funny if it were not for the fact that the budgets for many programs have virtually automatic increases in them annually that exceed the rate of inflation.
The Deficit Control Act of 1985 provided the first legal definition of baseline. For the most part, the act defined the baseline in conformity with previous usage. If appropriations had not been enacted for the upcoming fiscal year, the baseline was to assume the previous year's level without any adjustment for inflation. In 1987, however, the Congress amended the definition of the baseline so that discretionary appropriations would be adjusted to keep pace with inflation. Other technical changes, annual increase of now approximately 3% plus inflation, to the definition of the baseline were enacted in 1990, 1993, and 1997. Presently, the [automatic annual] Baseline Budgeting increase is about 7%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseline_(budgeting)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've been there so I know exactly what you are talking about. That points out one of my other frustrations with many programs: There is a huge bureaucracy in place with a myriad of rules and restrictions in the hopes of catching those few folks who are gaming the system.

There are two downsides to this situation. First a significant portion of the budget for these programs must go to supporting the bureaucracy rather than benefits for those who need them. Secondly, some of the rules put recipients in a position that discourages potentially productive behavior. In some cases for example, managing to save even a small amount for emergencies/future expenses means this money is now an asset and will lower the amount of benefits even if the money saved is temporary.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I do not know about others. However, I personally do not have any skills. Social Security Disability Income is allowing me to live on my own because in real life, I cannot get along with others. I do have to present my psychiatrist's doctor confirmation though. So, in my situation it has to be verified. I have tried to work while on Social Security Disability Income and they do verify it. I was not able to perform my job anyways. So as you can see, I try to help out where I can online. I do realize the money comes from tax payer's money so I am grateful to all you hard workers. I try to spend my time each day praying, reading The Holy Bible, and just simply staying out of trouble. I do have to say it is an easy life, however, I just have to stay out of trouble.

Seems you know how to type, are there not any data entry or transcription jobs available to you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
If PBS is worth it, someone will step in and fill the cash void left by the lost federal funding. Let the free market work.

OP
louishen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Apple could afford to fund PBS, and they could justify it with product placement, with Bert and Ernie using iPads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I don't recall "Big Bird" being mentioned in the debate, although PBS was.

Romney said, "Hey, I love Big Bird." It was a parenthetical thought. The topic was funding PBS. The kicker is that Sesame Street gets very little from the PBS "general fund". Ok, maybe he didn't say "Hey".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Romney said, "Hey, I love Big Bird." It was a parenthetical thought. The topic was funding PBS. The kicker is that Sesame Street gets very little from the PBS "general fund". Ok, maybe he didn't say "Hey".

Read my last post....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Let's look at one of the "investments" in job creation made by the outgoing administration.

Ironically, the outgoing administration has helped create a ton of work for people in the firearms and ammunition industry. They can hardly keep up with demand! I've personally pumped thousands of dollars into it over the past 4 years. If they stick around another few years, I may be sitting on a small fortune. ;)

C

chas_m

Again, missing the point.

Romney was asked what he would do to reduce the deficit. The only thing he could come up with is something that costs each taxpayer ... $1.50.

Do YOU think that will balance the budget? Hands up everyone who thinks hurting PBS will balance the budget.

Reaction score
We keep borrowing money from China to pay for nonessentials.

This is a fiscal crisis.

After about 2-3 years maximum with Obama still in place, we'll be like Europe.

We may last longer with Romney but still collapse.

Other countries will take us on in many ways.

The good the US does around the world will cease.

Bye big bird. You can stay on if those who love you care to pay your way.

If you'd prefer a fast collapse vote for Obama.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

And I'm sure you have credentials and/or facts to back up that statement. But, I'm going to guess I'm wrong assuming that.
Problems amongst US and Europe are entirely different.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I seem to remember another president/congress running up the national debt into the trillions sometime in the 80's, and yet the country didn't collapse or cease to exist.

OP
louishen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Oh dear, you don't want that.....

.... higher taxes, smaller cars, everybody speaks a different language and lower gun ownership

but you do get healthcare, good beer, decent cheeses and high speed rail ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The answer is easy for me if being honest about it no I am not better off than I was 3 years ago .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Big Bird has weighed in on the matter...

190307_4704891511271_20907566_n.jpg

Reaction score
Hey if you think things have been moving in the right direction, keep Obama in place.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey if you think things have been moving in the right direction, keep Obama in place.

I think few of us are perfectly content with the current administration, though I find myself faced with a "lesser of two evils" decision yet again in this election.

So far, Romney has not struck me as a man of conviction, nor has his track record as a businessman left me with the impression that he has a better plan or philosophy. I have a feeling that most of us in the undecided/politically independent category feel the same way.

Unfortunately, with the two-party monopoly of the political system in this country, I find myself apathetic toward the coming election. Once again, a vote for a third party would simply mean a vote taken away from one of the two dominant parties - only serving to the betterment of the opposite party, whose candidate I equally detest. I find that a bitter pill to swallow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.