Reverse Switch! OSX > W7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
I just installed Norton 360 on my Windows 7 box. There are many free AV/Spyware/Malware kits out there for windows and some are OK. Anyway - most paid for renewals run ~$60-$80 per year. Don't forget to factor that into the cost of a PC as well.
Actually, some of the free ones are rated higher than paid solutions. Avira and Avast, for example are excellent Anti Viruses. Then couple that with Malwarebytes Anti Malware (free, paid version runs in real time), Spyware Blaster (free), Comodo Firewall (free), Superantispyware (free), etc. Windows PC's don't have to cost a lot. You just need to do your research when buying one and know someone who can give you advice to get you all the good free stuff, if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself.

Then there's so many other free pieces of software it's ridiculous. Open Office, GIMP, Recuva, Trillian, Pidgin, Truecrypt, CPU-Z, GPU-Z, SetFSB, RocketDock, MSE, etc etc.

And as far as crashes with PC's, they're mostly hardware related. If you know what you're doing with your PC, Windows 7 will rarely, if ever crash. Most of it is bad RAM, a HD failure, etc.

Reaction score
The OP said back in Post #22 of this thread that they needed/wanted a laptop for portability/mobility reasons:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/219180-reverse-switch-osx-w7-2.html#post1135010

Whether the reasons are justified or not...I'm not going to be the judge. I can definitely understand the OP's financial position:

- need/want a laptop
- need to sell the iMac to finance the laptop purchase
- don't have enough $$$ from the iMac sale to afford a new Mac laptop

Just seems a bit odd to have been a "happy Mac user" for SEVEN YEARS and all of a sudden decide you really need a notebook and not be patient enough to save for even the low-end MB. And then announce all of this on M-F. I think of this thread as a "cry for help." :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just seems a bit odd to have been a "happy Mac user" for SEVEN YEARS and all of a sudden decide you really need a notebook and not be patient enough to save for even the low-end MB. And then announce all of this on M-F. I think of this thread as a "cry for help." :)

I hear ya...and totally agree!:) I think the OP could find a "creative solution" whereby they could:

- sell their iMac, and purchase a decent used Mac laptop
- sell their iMac, and sell some other items, to scrape enough $$$ together to buy a new Mac laptop
- sell their iMac...and save additional $$$ to buy a new Mac laptop

...and continue to be a "Mac User"....since it does sound like the OP would prefer to continue using Mac's & the Mac OS. :)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Actually, some of the free ones are rated higher than paid solutions. Avira and Avast, for example are excellent Anti Viruses. Then couple that with Malwarebytes Anti Malware (free, paid version runs in real time), Spyware Blaster (free), Comodo Firewall (free), Superantispyware (free), etc. Windows PC's don't have to cost a lot. You just need to do your research when buying one and know someone who can give you advice to get you all the good free stuff, if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself.

Then there's so many other free pieces of software it's ridiculous. Open Office, GIMP, Recuva, Trillian, Pidgin, Truecrypt, CPU-Z, GPU-Z, SetFSB, RocketDock, MSE, etc etc.

And as far as crashes with PC's, they're mostly hardware related. If you know what you're doing with your PC, Windows 7 will rarely, if ever crash. Most of it is bad RAM, a HD failure, etc.

As I said - there are plenty of free AVs out there. I forgot to mention for me personally I am windows in a corporate setting - I was forced to buy an AV to connect to my corporate network - because it had to be supported. Otherwise I would just keep using the free stuff.

There is a time-cost/resource cost associated with AV/Spyware defender software so even though it is free as in beer, it still costs you system resources and CPU cycles.

By the by there is plenty of free stuff on the Mac as well
Open Office, Gimp, trillian, and truecrypt are available free for Mac. There is also Macports, Xcode comes with every Mac, Istats Menu 2, gfxcardstatus, better touch tool, etc, etc.

The OP posted a smoking price on his machine so I don't fault him for getting it. That is one place where Windows laptops are better priced - because there are so many brands out there - they compete in price and you can find some wicked sales. $565 for that laptop is hard to beat.

One other creative solution - buy an iPad and get a remote desktop connection app - like Teamviewer. Then you could use your Mac desktop from your iPad anywhere. Works pretty well for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
If the OP has been a 7 year Mac user then the Windows PC's will be lacking. My suggestion, since he needs the mobility, is sell the iMac and buy a used MacBook and go from there.

A similar experience I had a couple of weeks ago...My wife was needing a replacement computer to replace her old Dell notebook. I shopped around hunting for a used MacBook for her, but everyone seems to be wanting TOP dollar for their old MacBooks. Tried negotiating, but no one would budge on the prices. Since she has very limited experience with my Macs, I just bought her a New Asus 16" notebook and she seems happy with it. I got the Asus for less than a 4 year old MacBook was going for. Granted it may not be as durable as the MacBook, but she is happy with the Asus.

Windows has improved a lot and should meet the OP needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
You might also try using Ubuntu linux on your new laptop - Keep Windows 7 in case you need it, but you could mainly use Ubuntu for basic document creation, web browsing, email, music, chat, etc. It's 100% free, and once you install docky and right click the bottom panel that comes by default and delete it, then you're basically running a free OS X like operating system, that frankly I like a whole lot better than Windows. I use Windows at work all day and it's really ridiculous the hoops it makes me jump through to do some really simple stuff. That said, it's a pretty decent OS, especially compared to past versions of windows. Just know that it's far from as polished as OS X is, and be prepared to run an antivirus again. And perform regular scans.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 2.4 GHz 2gig RAM 320gig HD
I also don't think Windows 7 is *that bad* - I've used it under Parallels, and, once you turn of the ugly Aero effects and giant icons it actually ok to use

Windows 7 is a very good accomplished OS - I love the Aero glass effects and large icons it's one of the things I dislike about OS X i.e. that's it's not the same.

Not sure about buying a Laptop though as I hate them whoever makes them. For me nothing beats a Desktop computer with its own dedicated office.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use Windows at work all day and it's really ridiculous the hoops it makes me jump through to do some really simple stuff. That said, it's a pretty decent OS, especially compared to past versions of windows. Just know that it's far from as polished as OS X is, and be prepared to run an antivirus again. And perform regular scans.

I have no idea which hoops you are referring to and can only assume you are not that familiar with Windows. As for not being as polished as OS X I totally disagree, I think it's every bit as polished and competent. AV! I run MSE, it takes up virtually no system resources and does its own thing, I never have to touch it or worry about it, oh, and it's free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Not sure about buying a Laptop though as I hate them whoever makes them.
You haven't owned the right laptop then ;) Asus and Sager/Clevo make the best laptops available, followed by Alienware and Lenovo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am thinking after using a Mac for 7 years going to Windows will take up some more of
the free time with more maintenance not to mention careful where you surf.

You're obviously not familiar with W7 then?

You haven't owned the right laptop then ;) Asus and Sager/Clevo make the best laptops available, followed by Alienware and Lenovo.

No you don't understand I hate Laptops MBP any form of mobile computing. I have a very nice Laptop which both the wife and I never use. We always argue who is going on the Desktop. I like a nice large screen, proper keyboard, large desk and nice comfy office chair to sit on.

One comparison, with my Snow Leopard, startup from power button to desktop with Safari and Mail opened ready to go--40seconds. With Windows 7, startup from turn-on to desktop with Firefox and Windows Live Mail ready for use takes to 3-4 minutes. You may see the desktop but you can't do anything until Windows 7 stop being busy doing something else, so you sit there and wait... and wait...
Yes but 99.9% of the time you would use sleep which gives a W7 start-up time of 6 seconds. From full boot to IE for me is just over one minute. It seems everything is quicker if you like Windows and slower if you don't - figure that eh?

In my view, computers are basically tools. You use whatever tool does the job best, as you need it done. What works for one, may not work for another, even for the same tasks! Everyone uses their computer differently, and the best way to go, is the way that you feel suits all of your needs combined, better. Personally, I find nothing wrong with Windows at all. Vista, 7, XP, I used them all, a lot. NEVER had a problem with any of them. Nothing off-putting, at least. All the ads and negative hype are nonsense, in my experience, though there again, the way one person uses a tool, may offer a different experience entirely from someone else, even doing the same tasks. It's all relative to the user and how he/she uses it.

Looking after converting pounds to dollars, it seems you could even get an iPad cheaper than the laptop you mentioned. I know it can't do certain things like the Photoshop stuff, and there may be other limitations, I know nothing about them so I can't say, but, have you thought about going that route?

It sounds to me, like you are wanting reasons to stay with the Mac, but also reasons to move to Windows. In my opinion, a really easy way to tell, is which one do you find yourself trying to "convince" yourself of more? If you're literally digging for reasons to go with Windows, then chances are ultimately you'll regret the switch in the end. If you're digging for reasons to stay with your iMac, again, chances are in the end, you'll regret the choice.

Difficult thing to decide no doubt, but it's just one of those things where in my opinion, it's best to listen to the little voice inside, than reasoning it out over and over. Because like I said, if you have to keep convincing yourself of either choice, then it's probably not the right choice.

That's a very wise post and much better than all the silly hysterical BS we get from this type of thread.

Reaction score
Thanks :) I think the Mac vs. PC stuff can sometimes get a little silly. Of course everyone has personal preferences, and similar to what was said a post or two up, if you like something, it seems like the best thing in the world, and nothing can convince you it's bad. If you don't, no matter how good it is, it will seem like crap and nothing can convince you that it's good.

At the end of the day, a person works for their money, and should spend it on the thing that makes them think less "why did I do that?" and more "This is exactly what I needed/wanted"!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
Yes but 99.9% of the time you would use sleep which gives a W7 start-up time of 6 seconds. From full boot to IE for me is just over one minute. It seems everything is quicker if you like Windows and slower if you don't - figure that eh?

I have 3 Windows 7 computers and none will wake from SLEEP in 6 seconds. Most take over a minute before they are finished processing and working correctly. My Mac's wake up very quickly compared to Windows 7 or any version of Windows. Windows 7 is a nice operating system, but I still prefer OS X or it any day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have 3 Windows 7 computers and none will wake from SLEEP in 6 seconds. Most take over a minute before they are finished processing and working correctly. My Mac's wake up very quickly compared to Windows 7 or any version of Windows. Windows 7 is a nice operating system, but I still prefer OS X or it any day.

Actually I have told a lie there as I have run the same test 3 times - one wake up was 4 seconds and the other two were 5 seconds. That's a Quad 6600 with 3 gig of RAM. Even my Laptop wakes from sleep in 8 seconds and that's quite elderly now so I don't know why yours are taking so long. Perhaps the BIOS settings need adjusting for sleep mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
You're obviously not familiar with W7 then?

I am Forced to use it at work and will say its better than any version prior but
no where near OSX imo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The reason W7 takes so long to be able to use is because of all of the unnecessary startup programs it has. OS X has less yes, but if you have a sliver of knowledge, you can disable more than half of them. My old Asus laptop took probably 50 seconds to boot up and be able to use. It's because I disabled the majority of programs. Yes, this laptop takes probably 35 seconds to boot up and be able to use.

People need to understand that Windows takes some knowledge, it's not like OS X where it's easy to use right out of the box. Just take some time to educate yourself and you will be fine.

Reaction score
No you don't understand I hate Laptops MBP any form of mobile computing. I have a very nice Laptop which both the wife and I never use. We always argue who is going on the Desktop. I like a nice large screen, proper keyboard, large desk and nice comfy office chair to sit on.

But with a laptop you can take your work anywhere without having to depend on a cloud-based service, syncing between a desktop and laptop, or carrying around an external HD. Also, you can easily run a laptop in clam shell mode with an external monitor, keyboard, etc. when you're at home if you're that particular. Btw, I prefer my MB's keyboard to any standalone, "proper" keyboard (aside from Apple's which is of the same style) that I've ever used.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 Ghz - 4Gig Ram - iPod 60gig Black - iPhone 3GS Black 32gig
I just installed Norton 360 on my Windows 7 box. There are many free AV/Spyware/Malware kits out there for windows and some are OK. Anyway - most paid for renewals run ~$60-$80 per year. Don't forget to factor that into the cost of a PC as well.

I will be giving Norton a very wide berth - absolutely no need to be paying for any AV software, given that there are plenty of free options - MSSE, Avast, Avira, Comodo, AVG - any of these are as good, if not better than Norton.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 Ghz - 4Gig Ram - iPod 60gig Black - iPhone 3GS Black 32gig
The laptop has arrived - I've spent some time over the weekend setting it up, and I'm pretty sure its going to be ok. First thoughts:

- It looks good (once I removed the stickers that Asus plaster all over it)
- It looks thinner than it is - the wedge design and the silver top, black bottom create an illusion of a much thinner machine. Its about 1 inch thick at the battery end but doesn't look it.
- Build quality is reasonable - its no MBP, but it feels decent enough.
- Keyboard flex is noticable - hoping it won't prove to be an issue.
- There was a lot of 'bloatware' with it - took a good couple of hours to remove it.
- Aero is horrible - the glassy effects are tacky, appear to offer no advantages other than eye candy - the Basic view is fine though.
- The the viewing angle of the screen is very 'narrow' - as someone else pointed out, unless you are directly in front of it colours invert.
- HDMI out is great - plugs straight in to the TV, which detects it as 720p - looks great on the big screen
- Track pad is hit and miss - multi touch scrolling works, but is not always smooth
- Its quick - no noticable lags loading or booting (at least not after I removed the bloatware and made changes to the start up items). iTunes opens in about 7 seconds with a library of about 3000 albums. Coverflow is not as smooth, but I didn't use it anyway.
- Windows Update is annoying - it repeatedly failed to update part of the Windows Live software - in the end I had to remove it - it also failed to complete all updates until at least the third or fourth time it had booted - why??
- Importing my itunes library could have been smoother, but wasn't too bad.
- Importing from iPhoto to Picasa was problematic due to the way iPhoto creates folders based on import date. Worked round it by exporting into Month by Month folders.
- WebCam is not great - noticabley worse than the mac.

So all in all, its pretty much as I expected considering this is undoubtably a downgrade.

If the imac is an 'A', then the Asus is probably a reasonable 'B' for me so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am Forced to use it at work and will say its better than any version prior but
no where near OSX imo.

As you say IYO. For me W7 is the better option IMO. It is perhaps your reluctance at using it that is preventing you from knowing its full potential.

But with a laptop you can take your work anywhere without having to depend on a cloud-based service, syncing between a desktop and laptop, or carrying around an external HD. Also, you can easily run a laptop in clam shell mode with an external monitor, keyboard, etc. when you're at home if you're that particular. Btw, I prefer my MB's keyboard to any standalone, "proper" keyboard (aside from Apple's which is of the same style) that I've ever used.

You still misunderstand - I hate the form factor and have no wish or need to work from anywhere else. I know you can use a Laptop with external peripherals but its hardly elegant is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.