Reverse Switch! OSX > W7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Copy - paste - delete is different and whether or not it is wrong or right is an opinion. There is a facility to move files - open 2 finder windows - one with the file you want, one where you want to put it -> cmd-drag the file and it will move the file. In essence the functionality is there - I don't know why you can't put that into a menu item and be able to use 1 finder window.

Cut/Paste of a file is a passionate debate among members here. I for one like the functionality and it is one of the reasons I bought Pathfinder.
Path Finder 5 by Cocoatech

Windows 7 is a fine OS and has a much better security model than XP and prior versions. What I don't like is the mousing interface - as mentioned in a previous post. I always found myself wanting to use an external mouse with my Windows Laptop. With the Mac and Multitouch I always use the trackpad and love it.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 Ghz - 4Gig Ram - iPod 60gig Black - iPhone 3GS Black 32gig
Thanks for the input guys - interesting to read ovbg's experiences as all of the online reviews I've seen are mainly positive. I've ordered the machine first, with a view to getting rid of the mac later, so if it doesn't work out I just get rid of the Asus and I'm back where I started.

The reasons for switching are that I need a portable laptop, as I don't have the space to dedicate to a Desktop. (1 year old Babies have lots of stuff and I'm basically using a whole room as a 'computer room' at the moment).

Secondly a laptop will be more useful to me if I can use it in different locations, in and out of the house - my iMac is under-used due to being 'upstairs'.

The third reason is that I can sell the imac for more than the Laptop will cost - I don't have the extra cash to update to an MBP. (CrimsonRequiem you say a price of £440, but ebay suggests £600+ should be possible).

There's no burning desire to switch to W7, but from what I've seen and used under Parallels, there doesn't seem to be anything from a software point of view that my Mac does that I can't do on W7. I also use XP all day at work too so I know my way around.

An ipad is no good for me, as it still requires a computer to sync with, has limited storage, no way to get photos from my Camera (Compact Flash Card), no way to sync my phone, no skype etc.

I do take the point about cheap laptops and build quality - something that most of the reviews don't pick up on, seeing a most of them seem to focus on how to open the **** box rather that what its like to use. I did see some complaints about creaky plastic and bouncy keyboards which could indicate issues further down the line.

I should be collecting it today - I should know by Monday whether or not I'll be keeping it - I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised, going in with reasonable expectations. Not looking forward to spending hours removing bloatware and 'trial' software though....

Pigoo - saving space is a pretty big issue - a 20 in iMac needs a desk, a desk needs a room - and I need the room for something else.

the8thark - I think its a bit of a myth about the cost of ownership - all of the software I need will be available for free (Chrome, Comodo, Firefox, Picasa, iTunes, Open Office, Paint.net, Handbrake, Spotify, Skype etc). There wont be any upgrades or servicing any more than my iMac.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
...The third reason is that I can sell the imac for more than the Laptop will cost - I don't have the extra cash to update to an MBP. (CrimsonRequiem you say a price of £440, but ebay suggests £600+ should be possible).

If you can £600+ that's even better. Get a MB or MBA. >_>"

Reaction score
Kind of what I was thinking as well.

To the OP...Don't explain why...JUST DO IT!

- Nick

Message boards are here to promote discussion.

He is promoting discussion.

It seems like he really is one the fence about this switch and is looking for opinions from his fellow Mac community so he's not going into this situation blinded by his own bias.

He listed reasons on why he was thinking of switching back to Windows and asked the community to give their opinions/thought about it.

As for the OP, I wouldn't do it. You should never downgrade a computer if you absolutely don't have to. That cheap laptop is not going to give you the experience or peace of mind that the iMac currently does.

If you do switch back, I'd definitely look into a different machine than that Asus.

However, you said it yourself -- you're a 'happy' Mac owner of 7 years. There must be a reason why you came to the OSX platform to begin with, no?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Copy - paste - delete is different and whether or not it is wrong or right is an opinion.

Actually it is right. Apples design specification for OSX GUI never intended for there to be a cut and paste, not opinion, fact. You may not like it, you may feel it should be there, but it is in accordance with it's design specification so therefore it's not wrong. It works as designed and intended. Period.

Now should the design spec should have included it? That is open for debate but there is still no real wrong per-se.

As I said, it is simply differentness.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like Ivan DID say though, if you Command+Drag to another drive, it WILL move the file and you do not have to delete it. It's not refereed to as CUT but it's doing the same thing. It's in the OSX Help.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac23 - I guess the reasons I switched in the first place were because I was using an old Dell machine that was nothing but trouble, and around that time we got a G3 iMac and later a G4 Mini at work which I was using and getting in to. I think we are talking 10.2 / 10.3 - XP was pre Service Pack 2 and worms and email viruses were common - IE6 was the most popular browser. I had the money and space (and time) to use a Mac, and I have to admit, once I bought my own one I had the old 'why didn't I do this earlier!' revelation. PC's were still big ugly square noisy boxes, Macs were compact and beautiful.

Reaction score
New to Macs

Hello everyone,

I've recently purchased my first mac, a 13 inch MBP. I've been a life long Windows user, and still have a Dell Latitude. Personally, the only reason why I'll still have to use Windows would be for programming. I understand, that cost is an issue for you going to a Windows based machine and I believe Asus to be a good PC manufacturer. I have a friend that owns one, and he loves it. Although, his is a large gaming laptop. I agree with another poster, that Win 7 is a good OS. For what's it worth, I've been using my MBP for about 2 weeks now, and don't miss anything. I think the "experience" on the mac to be worth a few extra bucks, but I admit it may just be a "newness" thing, with me. In the end, I'd go with your gut. I've had a Sony laptop that the video card died on me, after only 14 months and on the other hand, I've had a Dell Inspiron that lasted me 8 years, and even then it was only the HD that died. I'm sure you know, that macs are built well, but some PC's are also built pretty good too. I'm not sure if any of this actually helps, but as an IT person, it's always hard to answer the question of "what computer should I get", since people value different things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually it is right. Apples design specification for OSX GUI never intended for there to be a cut and paste, not opinion, fact. You may not like it, you may feel it should be there, but it is in accordance with it's design specification so therefore it's not wrong. It works as designed and intended. Period.

Now should the design spec should have included it? That is open for debate but there is still no real wrong per-se.

I agree - copy/paste/delete works as per the Apple specification. Cmd-drag also works per the Apple specification. I never claimed that it didn't.

The opinion comes in when you discuss whether or not it should be available as a short cut key, or in a context menu. You have agreed with my post with everything you said.

Anyway - everything in your post agrees with mine so I don't know why you are being emphatic about the design specifications, it says what it says and the debate comes in on whether what the specifcation says is right.

Reaction score

That maybe so, and believe you me, I'm not knocking OSX. My overall experience is very positive and I have no desire to go back.

But just being a design feature, omitting an alternative choice, doesn't mean it's "right". Window's, for all it's good and bad designs, also has the same drag and drop "design feature" as OSX, but, it also offers the option to cut and paste from the right-click menu. Since the drag and drop has been with Windows possibly since day dot, and since virtually everyone has stopped using it in favour of right clicking for cut/copy and paste, it would pretty much suggest that the drag and drop method was seen more as a gimmick rather than something practical. It simply is easier to cut and paste. Not a great deal easier, it's not like drag and dropping is terribly hard, but like many keyboard short cuts are easier than clicking, so is cut/copy and paste from the cursor menu.

It simply wouldn't hurt to have it as an option. After all, Copy and Paste from the menu is ;O)

Just because Microsoft have an option that Apple doesn't, doesn't mean it's wrong, just like the other way around. Did Apple always have the right click or did they introduce it because many people wanted that option?

Reaction score
Sounds to me that the OP has a textbook case of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)--the felt need to have something "new" and "different," which to the majority of us with less-than-endless resources means buying/selling/trading to get it.

Read my lips: :Angry:DON'T DO IT!:Angry: Especially if it means switching your OS.

Unless, of course, it is a necessity of untold importance, which in this case it isn't.

Learn to be content with those things you have. I have learned this lesson the hard way one too many times.

P.S. If portability is the main issue (which is what I got from your post), then why not just be patient and save up for a MB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
That maybe so, and believe you me, I'm not knocking OSX. My overall experience is very positive and I have no desire to go back.

But just being a design feature, omitting an alternative choice, doesn't mean it's "right". Window's, for all it's good and bad designs, also has the same drag and drop "design feature" as OSX, but, it also offers the option to cut and paste from the right-click menu. Since the drag and drop has been with Windows possibly since day dot, and since virtually everyone has stopped using it in favour of right clicking for cut/copy and paste, it would pretty much suggest that the drag and drop method was seen more as a gimmick rather than something practical. It simply is easier to cut and paste. Not a great deal easier, it's not like drag and dropping is terribly hard, but like many keyboard short cuts are easier than clicking, so is cut/copy and paste from the cursor menu.

It simply wouldn't hurt to have it as an option. After all, Copy and Paste from the menu is ;O)

Just because Microsoft have an option that Apple doesn't, doesn't mean it's wrong, just like the other way around. Did Apple always have the right click or did they introduce it because many people wanted that option?

Wether the alternative choice was an "omission" or a specific decision is an unknown factor. The fact still remains, it's not wrong. Yes, the method you describe may be easier (that IS open for debate) but that is subjective at best.

I never said MSs option was wrong, I simply stated that saying that Apple was wrong is not correct. Apple introduced the right click with OSX (there was a limited capbility in OS9 as well) for whatever reason but it was an initial design feature from the beginning. Sure they could add cut/paste, but the demand is probably not as great as one would imagine. Sure you might want to see it and maybe they'll do it eventually, but the lack of it still doesn't make it "wrong".

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds to me that the OP has a textbook case of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)--the felt need to have something "new" and "different," which to the majority of us with less-than-endless resources means buying/selling/trading to get it.

P.S. If portability is the main issue (which is what I got from your post), then why not just be patient and save up for a MB?

Unfortuately I AM having to sell my iMac to make the switch, and I simply can't afford a MBP, which would cost my 3 times as much as this.

Reaction score
Unfortuately I AM having to sell my iMac to make the switch

But you don't HAVE to make the switch, which was my point. Going to a cheap Windows 7 laptop just so you can load photos from downstairs? Come on. The iMac doesn't need an entire room. All you need is a small table and a wall socket. Why not move IT downstairs?

and I simply can't afford a MBP, which would cost my 3 times as much as this.

I said MB, not MBP.

I'm just telling you . . . I've done something similar to what you are wanting to do in the past and I sorely regretted it after the initial, short-lived fascination period.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I am thinking after using a Mac for 7 years going to Windows will take up some more of
the free time with more maintenance not to mention careful where you surf.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But you don't HAVE to make the switch, which was my point. Going to a cheap Windows 7 laptop just so you can load photos from downstairs? Come on. The iMac doesn't need an entire room. All you need is a small table and a wall socket. Why not move IT downstairs?

The OP's situation is they need a notebook computer for it's mobility/portability. That's why the OP needs to sell their iMac...and purchase a notebook computer. It sounds like the OP feels that they won't be able to sell this iMac for enough $$$ to purchase a new Macbook or Macbook Pro...and that's why the OP is forced to purchase a less expensive Windows notebook computer.

To the OP...All of this makes sense now that you provided the extra details. But one thing you haven't considered is purchasing a used Macintosh notebook computer...rather than buying a new one. I relatively recently purchased two Macbooks for $350 & $400 each. These were 2 to 2.5 year-old Macbooks...and both work great! I'm not saying these deals are available all the time...but between $550 to $650 is usually pretty common on Craig's List.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
The OP's situation is they need a notebook computer for it's mobility/portability. That's why the OP needs to sell their iMac...and purchase a notebook computer. It sounds like the OP feels that they won't be able to sell this iMac for enough $$$ to purchase a new Macbook or Macbook Pro...and that's why the OP is forced to purchase a less expensive Windows notebook computer.

There's no "forcing" here. It's the OP's personal choice, yet they are coming here asking to be convinced otherwise. I didn't see anything they posted that necessitated a notebook. I'm still blaming Gear Acquisition Syndrome ;)

And I also suggested the MB over the Win 7 laptop if the OP remains determined to get a notebook, but, yes, good point about looking for a used one--starting with Apple's online refurbished store for peace of mind.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There's no "forcing" here. It's the OP's personal choice, yet they are coming here asking to be convinced otherwise. I didn't see anything they posted that necessitated a notebook.

The OP said back in Post #22 of this thread that they needed/wanted a laptop for portability/mobility reasons:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/219180-reverse-switch-osx-w7-2.html#post1135010

Whether the reasons are justified or not...I'm not going to be the judge. I can definitely understand the OP's financial position:

- need/want a laptop
- need to sell the iMac to finance the laptop purchase
- don't have enough $$$ from the iMac sale to afford a new Mac laptop

...thus that's why I suggested buying a used Mac laptop/notebook.

Personally I wouldn't sell an iMac to switch back to Windows (if I really liked using Mac's & the Mac OS) just to be able to buy a Windows laptop...but that's just me.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just installed Norton 360 on my Windows 7 box. There are many free AV/Spyware/Malware kits out there for windows and some are OK. Anyway - most paid for renewals run ~$60-$80 per year. Don't forget to factor that into the cost of a PC as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.