Restoring Photos from Trash

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
I already had some items in my Trash (documents, PDFs, etc.) that I had not yet deleted/emptied. Then I accidently trashed some photos that I want to get back. When I highlighted all the items in the Trash and used the Put Back feature, everything went to All My Files. I thought my photos would go back to my Photos Library.

How do I get my photos (.jpg files) to restore from my Trash back to my Photos Library? Or if that can't be done, how to I move my photos from All My Files folder to my Photos Library? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I am using El Capitan because my iMac is circa 2009. I do use Time Machine, but I can't seem to use that successfully in restoring my photos to the Library.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
In theory, although I've never done it, if you can see the Photos window in Time Machine that displays the photos you want then restoring it should put them back but it's more difficult with a media browser like Photos.
If they are restored to All My Files you simply need to select them all and drag them to the Photos icon on your dock. If they are not all togeather in one column you could drag them to your desktop first, select all and drag to the Photos icon.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I've one or two comments that might help.

You imply, if not actually state, that you are using Apple's Photos app.

If so:

1.When you delete a picture in the Photos app, it firstly puts them into Photos' Trash. And they will stay there for at least 30 days, possibly for ever.

2. To check if some/all are still there, Open Photos and on the Left Sidebar, under Library, look for "Recently Deleted" and click on that.

3. If you knew this and, in fact, consciously deleted them, then they are gone - they do not go into Mac's Trash. (Maybe they did in El Capitan - can't recall, but certainly not in any recent Operating Systems)

Thus, I am confused by your use of the word "Trash" - the confusion is mine, not your fault. I'm trying to understand which "Trash" you are referring to; because in Photos' Trash, it offers to "Recover" or "Delete" whereas in the Mac's Trash, you have to Right Click on the items and then it comes up with "Put Back" as one of the options. But the pictures shouldn't be in the Mac's Trash, as I stated above.

My confusion may simply be that things have changed since El Capitan. Or it could be that the pictures you deleted were not in the Photos app, but filed elsewhere - and ended up in the Mac's Trash??

If none of the above is of help, through my misunderstanding, then Rod's advice will surely restore your pictures back to your Photos app from wherever they are.

For my own peace of mind & understanding, it would be great if you could find the time to reply.

Ian

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5

If so:

1.When you delete a picture in the Photos app, it firstly puts them into Photos' Trash. And they will stay there for at least 30 days, possibly for ever.

2. To check if some/all are still there, Open Photos and on the Left Sidebar, under Library, look for "Recently Deleted" and click on that.

3. If you knew this and, in fact, consciously deleted them, then they are gone - they do not go into Mac's Trash. (Maybe they did in El Capitan - can't recall, but certainly not in any recent Operating Systems)

Thus, I am confused by your use of the word "Trash" - the confusion is mine, not your fault. I'm trying to understand which "Trash" you are referring to; because in Photos' Trash, it offers to "Recover" or "Delete" whereas in the Mac's Trash, you have to Right Click on the items and then it comes up with "Put Back" as one of the options. But the pictures shouldn't be in the Mac's Trash, as I stated above.

My confusion may simply be that things have changed since El Capitan. Or it could be that the pictures you deleted were not in the Photos app, but filed elsewhere - and ended up in the Mac's Trash??

If none of the above is of help, through my misunderstanding, then Rod's advice will surely restore your pictures back to your Photos app from wherever they are.

For my own peace of mind & understanding, it would be great if you could find the time to reply.

Ian
Thanks for your reply. I will attempt a detailed response as soon as possible. I am sorta new to the iMac (it was my brother's before he passed), so am still in the learning/struggling stage. It is a tad different from my Windows 10 computer, lol.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In theory, although I've never done it, if you can see the Photos window in Time Machine that displays the photos you want then restoring it should put them back but it's more difficult with a media browser like Photos.
If they are restored to All My Files you simply need to select them all and drag them to the Photos icon on your dock. If they are not all togeather in one column you could drag them to your desktop first, select all and drag to the Photos icon.
Thanks for your reply. I could never find the Photos window in my Time Machine. Probably an operator error, as I haven't used the iMac in years and am still rather new to it. I have not tried to restore them from All My Files, but will try later today and respond.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@durango

In view of your comments -

" I could never find the Photos window in my Time Machine." AND -

"I am sorta new to the iMac (it was my brother's before he passed), so am still in the learning/struggling stage. It is a tad different from my Windows 10 computer, lol." -

I would strongly advise you to leave Time Machine alone for the moment. Why? Because it is a wonderful and clever means of backing up all your data; but also a very complex app that requires that you understand exactly how to use it.

I am concerned about your intention to interrogate Time Machine to find what you call the "Photos window".

I would rather that we learnt more about what exactly you did in the process of deleting the lost pictures. As I mentioned above, I got the impression that your pictures had landed up in the Mac's Trash rather than in the Photos app's Trash.

Ian

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rod, when I got my wits about me, I followed your advice and simply drug all my photos from my Trash to the Photos icon on my dock. Worked like a charm, and I was able to put back 982 photos. For now, I am also leaving all these photos in the All My Files folder.

I still don't know how all those photos ended up in my Trash, but henceforth I will be a little more careful with my keyboard and mouse.

Thanks again for your advice.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My responses to your comments and questions are shown below in red.
Yes, that is true.
If so:

I see that now, as I experimented and deleted a photo. It went into a Photos folder entitled "Recently Deleted".
Yes, as stated above, I did exactly that. When I clicked on Recently Deleted. the photo was there and it said that it would remain for 40 days.
In my case, initially there was no "Recently Deleted" folder....all my photos were in the Mac Trash. Still not sure how I did this, but henceforth I will be more careful with the keyboard and mouse.
My photos accidently went into the Mac trash, not the Photos trash. I tried the "Put Back" option on a few photos, but these then went into some Shared Folder that I could never find (again, I'm not yet totally familiar with the iMac). So I ended up dragging all my photos from the Trash to my Photos icon on the Dock.

This could have happened, as I'm going through a learning process. I haven't used my iMac since my brother passed away about 10 years ago. All I remember is that when I opened Photos from the dock, all my photos were missing except for a few very old ones located in the iPhotos folder. That's when I discovered that about 950 of my photos were in the Mac Trash.
Your dialog was very helpful as part of my learning process, and I sincerely appreciate your efforts. I did end up dragging the photos from Trash to my Photos app as Rod suggested.

Again, thanks to you and Rod for your responses.

No problem - I had a doctor's appointment this morning, that's why the delay in my reply.
Ian

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@durango

In view of your comments -

" I could never find the Photos window in my Time Machine." AND -

"I am sorta new to the iMac (it was my brother's before he passed), so am still in the learning/struggling stage. It is a tad different from my Windows 10 computer, lol." -

I would strongly advise you to leave Time Machine alone for the moment. Why? Because it is a wonderful and clever means of backing up all your data; but also a very complex app that requires that you understand exactly how to use it.
Although I am backing up via Time Machine, I have never yet tried to restore anything....must study up first.
I am concerned about your intention to interrogate Time Machine to find what you call the "Photos window".
Point well taken. I gave up on that approach.
I would rather that we learnt more about what exactly you did in the process of deleting the lost pictures. As I mentioned above, I got the impression that your pictures had landed up in the Mac's Trash rather than in the Photos app's Trash.
Yes, as delineated in my other reply, my photos ended up in the MAC Trash....I don't know how nor why. But they have now been recovered, so all is well.
Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bravo, durango. Firstly, a good result thanks to Rod and secondly, many thanks from me for responding to all my questions.

Stay tuned to these forums :)

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well done Durango. I'm glad my suggestion worked. You have probably noticed there a several ways of doing the same tasks on a Mac. Depending on your workflow one method may be more appropriate than another. Applications and their functions may vary from one version of the Operating System (macOS) to another but the basic architecture remains much the same.
The Finder and its window is at the core of macOS no matter if you are using El Capitan or the latest macOS Big Sur so if you get a handle on that you'll understand where stuff is and why. I hope I'm not talking down to you here, I have no idea what your level of knowledge about macOS is, it's not my intention to do that. Here is Apple's page on the Finder, Get to know the Finder on your Mac
It's pretty basic as you can see but even this may have some handy hints to get you started.
So, if you have any questions, there are no stupid questions, get back to us and we'll be happy to help.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well done Durango. I'm glad my suggestion worked. You have probably noticed there a several ways of doing the same tasks on a Mac. Depending on your workflow one method may be more appropriate than another. Applications and their functions may vary from one version of the Operating System (macOS) to another but the basic architecture remains much the same.
The Finder and its window is at the core of macOS no matter if you are using El Capitan or the latest macOS Big Sur so if you get a handle on that you'll understand where stuff is and why. I hope I'm not talking down to you here, I have no idea what your level of knowledge about macOS is, it's not my intention to do that. Here is Apple's page on the Finder, Get to know the Finder on your Mac
It's pretty basic as you can see but even this may have some handy hints to get you started.
So, if you have any questions, there are no stupid questions, get back to us and we'll be happy to help.
I have become fairly familiar with Finder and have used it extensively to find my way around my iMac, which by the way uses El Capitan because that's the highest one I can use due to the age of my iMac (2009).

In using Finder earlier this evening, I stumbled across something that now has me confused again. So I have another question that I hope you or someone could help me with. I first need to give you a little history.

When I first got my iMac, I downloaded a multitude of photos (in excess of 900). These photos were organized into folders according to the subject matter, e.g., Family, Cars, Dogs, Fishing Trips, etc. These folders and photos are what I accidently trashed from Photos. But earlier today when I drug all the photos from Trash to Photos, I lost the folder organization. So I simply ended up with 900+ photos contained in Photos without any organization.

What I stumbled across this evening was a folder called Pictures (original).....I did this via Finder>Go>Home. And there in this Pictures (original) folder were all my 900+ photos neatly organized in the original subject matter folders.

So my question is this...how do I get this Pictures (original) folder to go into the Photos icon on my Dock? Dragging doesn't seem to work in this case. I can drag one folder into Photos, but when I go back and drag a second folder, the first folder disappears.

There must be a way to do this, but I can't figure it out. Thanks in advance for any advice you might offer.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Under the Finder menu in the menu bar open Preferences, (this is the same for almost all apps) and choose the Home folder (your name usually) as the "New Finder Windows Show" option. That way every time you open Finder you will see all of your Folders. I find this the best setting but by all means experiment. Also look under Sidebar and look at the list of folders displayed, tick any extra folders you might like to see in the Home view, I pretty much tick them all. Below is how mine looks when I open Finder or a new Finder window (in dark mode). PS. you can have multiple Finder windows open. Finder > Edit > New Finder Window.
Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 1.28.07 pm.png Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 1.30.42 pm.png
Now about your question. If you open the Photos app you should have a sidebar like the Finder window on the left. It may be a little different as mine is a later version but the principal is the same.
You will see on my screen shot below there is a Heading called My Albums. You should be able to drag the folders from the Pictures folder to the My Albums list in Photos. At this point the Photos app should detect that you are loading duplicates. It will give you the option to do this anyway, choose that.

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 1.35.13 pm.png

This leaves you with a problem, how to get rid of the duplicates now in the "main" album and keep the ones in your My Albums folders.

I can think of only one solution to that. Use a third party app to find all duplicates and remove them according to the preferences you set.
My wife and I use PhotoSweeper, there is a Lite version on the app store for AU$1.49. Over the years it's the best i've found.

PS. you might want to put all of the albums you mention in the Pictures Folder into one enclosing folder with a name of your choice. This way when using PhotoSweeper or which ever you decide you will easily be able to distinguish between the ones you want to keep and the duplicates to delete.

Last edited:
OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rod, thanks much for your detailed reply. I have already printed it out to have nearby when I start the process. However, before I take the chance of having to delete 900+ photos, I would like to ask you another question.

As mentioned earlier, I use Time Machine (TM). Although I have been cautioned by Ian to be careful how I use this program, I do wonder if the correct Photos folder can't be restored from TM? I started actively using TM about a month ago, and my photos were accidently deleted about a week ago. If TM is as advertised, I'm thinking that might be a way to recover my photos in their organizational folders?

If you think TM might be a solution, could you or Ian give me the restore steps to follow. Or provide me with a good reference.

BTW, as I mentioned earlier, I don't know how I accidently trashed all my photos.....I've been around computers long enough to know to be careful. So I'm wondering if my recent upgrade from Yosemite to El Capitan might have been the cause? Per chance?

BTW again, also as I mentioned earlier, I've been using Windows computers going on 40 years. During this time, I located several technical forums where I could seek sage advice when the need arose. Now thanks to members like you and Ian, I think I have found my 'salvation' regarding my iMac and Mac OS X here on Mac-Forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
One thing that has not been mentioned is that there are two ways to import images to the Photos application. In one way, the file for the image is actually copied into the Photos database and stored there. The second way is to leave the image file where it was at the time of import, in which case Photos only stores information about the location of the file and any edits made to the image. The user can decide which way is to be used in Photos Preferences (Launch Photos, click on the "Photos" name in the upper left corner of the screen, then "Preferences" in the drop down menu.) On the "General" tab is a line "Copy items to the Photos library" and a tick box. If the box is ticked, the images are being copied into the Photos library. If it is NOT ticked, they are left wherever they were at import time. In that latter case, it is critical that you NOT move the images because Photos will only look for them where they were at the time of import. For that reason, and because I use iCloud as a backup storage location, I have the box ticked. In that situation, the images are actually imported into the database as objects, then copied up to my iCloud account and shared across my iDevices (iPhone, iPad) automatically. Another good think about having the box ticked is that once the files are imported to the database (and the database backed up), you can delete the source image files to recover the space on the drive.

As for TM, the reason for the cautions about dabbling with it for a "rookie" is that what LOOKS like files in Finder when you go poking in the TM drive are not actually files, for the most part, but hard links from one version of the backup to the next. Those links can be for files or even whole folders. The way TM works is that on the first backup it copies EVERYTHING it backs up to the backup drive. Then on the next backup, it examines the files/folders and only copies over what has changed since the previous backup, but creates a link to the unchanged backup files to save space. For the third backup the process is repeated, but the link to the unchanged files are linked to the link of any file also unchanged in the previous backup. Basically, there are chains of links being created for static files. The process is then repeated over and over as each backup is made. So a file that is unchanging may well be in the original backup and not ever copied over again, just linked to and linked to and linked to.

OK, so along comes the rookie, opens Finder, goes to the TM drive and sees, let's say, a file that is needed and starts to work with it. But the "file" isn't a file, it is a link, and if the user does anything to write to that file, what is written is a FILE, not a link, and the chain is broken. At that point, unless the user is very lucky, the entire backup is corrupted and unusable. The next time TM tries to build the display for recovery, it will break at the time of the corrupted link and any file in any preceding backup may well be lost. And that is not just for the file in question, it's ANY file in ANY backup before the broken link. So, our advice is not to muck about with the TM backup except in TM itself because it knows how to keep the links secure.

Sorry for the lecture. Wanted you to have a bit more than "don't do that."

One last thing, as a Windows user, you may be tempted to be putting files all over the place. Don't do that. All of your files should be inside your User folder, the one with your name on it. Unlike Windows, macOS is a true multi-user system and protects one user from another by the security and protections on the user folders. But that means that you should not put anything outside YOUR home folder, as it is called, because out there anything can (and probably will) happen to it because it's unprotected.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jake, thanks for your reply. I don't at all mind the 'lecture'.....I've received quite a few of them in my lifetime and I have benefited from most of those, including yours. But I have to ask...for a rookie, what is the benefit of Time Machine? One of the advertised purposes of TM is to provide a backup of your data files, thereby allowing you to recover files that were deleted.

That's my situation here.....my photos were accidently deleted and now I want to recover these deleted files. I thought TM was the answer, but now everyone is advising me, as a rookie (which I am), to not use TM to recover my photos. Then I have to ask....if TM can't help me in my situation or is to complicated for me to restore from, why am I using it? Don't at all mean to be sarcastic here, as that is a serious question in my mind.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, theoretically you should be able to restore the Photos Library via Time Machine to its state prior to the removal of those 900+ pictures but because you don't know how that happened and adding in the fact that you upgraded macOS about the time you think it happened I cannot be sure it would work.

It is possible that the upgrade to a newer version of Photos may have caused a problem with the library.

It's bedtime here now so I'll do some research tomorrow and get back to you. Ian might have more thoughts on the topic, he's closer to your time zone I think.đź‘Ť

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Jake, thanks for your reply. I don't at all mind the 'lecture'.....I've received quite a few of them in my lifetime and I have benefited from most of those, including yours. But I have to ask...for a rookie, what is the benefit of Time Machine? One of the advertised purposes of TM is to provide a backup of your data files, thereby allowing you to recover files that were deleted.

That's my situation here.....my photos were accidently deleted and now I want to recover these deleted files. I thought TM was the answer, but now everyone is advising me, as a rookie (which I am), to not use TM to recover my photos. Then I have to ask....if TM can't help me in my situation or is to complicated for me to restore from, why am I using it? Don't at all mean to be sarcastic here, as that is a serious question in my mind.
OK, brace yourself, another lecture.

TM is a very complex piece of software. There is a brief primer here on it: Do You Have A Backup - #5: Manual and Time Machine Backups - Mac-Forums Blog

And if you search here - The Eclectic Light Company - there is a long series on the inner workings of TM through all the versions. It's a bit eye-watering, but it's where I learned most of what I know about TM.

The simple answer to the questions you posed is that you COULD have recovered from TM, probably. Where rookies go wrong is, as I said, in thinking that what they see on the TM drive is real, that is, that the files listed are actually files and not just links. And it's perfectly safe to copy a file, even from a link, because as you copy it from the TM drive to a different location, Finder will go searching down the chain to where the "real" file is actually located and copy from there. Where things get squirrelly is when a user overwrites the chain of links, usually accidentally. Or if the user MOVES the link instead of COPYing it. (Easy to do.) For example, let's say you want a Word document from TM. You open Word and navigate to the TM drive and see the "file" you want and open it in Word. Your intent is good, you just want to edit it a bit and then plan to save it to the internal drive. But Word (and many other apps) has an autosave function that every so often saves the file as it is edited, so it's writing to the TM drive in the background as you edit. If you forget that you opened it from the TM drive and just click on "Save" in Word, you just overwrote the link and broke the backup. But if you had been smarter about it, you could have used Finder to copy that old file from the TM drive to your home folder and opened it in Word from there and nothing would have happened to the TM backup at all. So the cautions given to you were because you, as a rookie, might not have known how the TM application uses links and reached into the TM backups carelessly and broken it, in which case the files you wanted to restore may have been lost because the integrity of the backup chains was destroyed.

So, what use is TM? It is a backup system, it works, and it's free. Actually, it works pretty well, as long as you don't muck with it much outside of TM, but use the interface to do what you need to do. It sits in the background and by default makes a backup of what has changed every hour. Then it purges to keep a daily copy for a while, then a weekly version as long as there is space on the backup drive. If, when, you need to recover a file, you invoke TM, a Finder-like window opens, you scroll backwards in time to the backup that has the file version you want, you select it and click Restore and TM puts that file back for you. You can also use TM to recover an entire account if your hard drive has a major issue and has to be replaced or reformatted to recover. And once turned on TM just does its thing, quietly, in the background.

Now, a couple of considerations on TM: It does backup Photos library and can be used to restore the Photos: library: Restore a library from Time Machine in Photos on Mac However, if the Photos library is on an external drive, there are issues with TM and external drives. In this article - Back up the library in Photos on Mac - Apple says:
WARNING: If a Photos library is located on an external drive, don’t use Time Machine to store a backup on that external drive. The permissions for your Photos library may conflict with those for the Time Machine backup.
At this point there is not a lot of clarity on why Apple would say that as there is nothing in Photos or TM that should cause a conflict. However, it's generally a good idea not to store anything else on a TM drive, although it can be done. It is good practice to let TM control the entire drive so it can do the file juggling it has to do to perform the magic it does in keeping the chains intact.

Now, one other thing to consider is that if you click that "Copy..." box in Photos preferences and actually copy the file into the Photos database, and then if you synchronize Photos through iCloud, then your images are also stored in iCloud, and if you sync to any other iDevice, they will be there as well. As I said, I have an iPad and iPhone and I have iCloud set to sync my Photos with the tick in the "Copy.." box, so my Photos database is in iCloud and on both iDevices. If I do something extraordinarily stupid and realize it fast enough, I can disconnect my iDevices from iCloud and know that the images are preserved on them. Or if the mistake was made on an iDevice, I can disconnect my Mac and know the images there are preserved. And if I back up using TM, I know that even if the mistake has propagated through the iCloud I have an archived copy I can restore. And I can go back pretty far in time if it takes a while for the mistake to manifest itself.

Ok, thus endeth the lecture. Hope that helped some.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I never knew that restoring from Time Machine would be that complicated for a rookie. Apple makes it sound so easy. I guess I will just keep backing up with TM and hope that I never have to restore anything. BTW, I did read all your references except for the Light Company. In fact, I had already seen and printed the website for Restoring a Library from TM in Photos on Mac, and I planned on trying those instructions. I assume that is something you recommend I try since you included it as a reference. If I am careful, do you think it will work in my case?

I am a firm believer in backups. On my two Windows 10 computers, I do weekly backups to several different external hard drives using three different programs (Acronis, Macrium, and the standard Window backup). All my backups are automated. The few times I have had to restore, I never had a problem. And now Windows has a program called File History that is somewhat similar to TM. File History regularly backs up versions of all my data files, so I can easily do a restore of any file or folder.

And then there is Time Machine on my iMac, where everyone cautions me, as a rookie, to stay away from when it is time to restore, lol. Thanks again for educating me.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think Jske may have posted while I was writing my reply #17 but I agree with his cautions and great explanation of TM function in post #15.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.