Replacing my Moto G7 Power with an SE phone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Is this actually the case that it has an eSim? If so then where is it and how do I do anything with if I need to?

Good grief, does Apple not even include any instructions with the new iPhone SE these days or even a setup diagram???

And what does your cell phone access company suggest you use or can you not just use the SIM from your old cell phone?

And surely there must be some sort of diagram provided to show how one installs such a SIM card.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Calm down, Patrick. John can use his old nano SIM in the phyiscal tray for it, and just ignore the eSIM. Or he can have is cell provider move the data frorm the physical SIM to the eSIM. His call.

And Apple quit providing documentation with devices when Steve threw the manuals in the trash 20 years ago. The link you gave had a link to this article:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
And Apple quit providing documentation with devices when Steve threw the manuals in the trash 20 years ago. The link you gave had a link to this article:

Being new to Apple in general over the last few years, the whole experience has been learning curve, however, it is not just Apple, but most electronics only come with a "quick start guide" enough to turn the device on, everything elese being on line, some easier to find than others.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I have found the esim bit, but there's no mention of cellular anything. It comes under Mobile Data on this side of the Pond by the looks of it?

Then Add eSIM. There's the instructions from there on.

Jimmy, I have had Macs for about 13 years and STILL learning mate. This is my first iPhone it it ain't so much as a learning slope as a bl00dy cliff!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Pond has nothing to do with it, John. The link in post #22 shows the steps to take to set up an eSIM. But if you don't have a service that uses eSIM, there is no reason to go that path. If you have a SIM card and are happy with it, just use that.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I think that I will try to get the esim so that I can do as you said earlier Jake. Use PAYG sim as and when we get to go on holiday abroad again. So ta for that idea (y)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you want to do that, John, contact your UK provider about moving the SIM to the eSIM. Different providers have different procedures. Then remove the card from the iphone and put it aside. When you travel, get the PAYG SIM and pop it into the tray. Then go to Settings/Cellular and turn ON the PAYG account and turn OFF the UK provider. If you want to have both, you can leave both ON, but be aware of which line you are using for data/messages/talk so that you don't get roaming charges on the UK line.

Unfortunately, my US iPhone doesn't have a SIM tray any more, just two eSIMs. And I haven't yet found a UK provider that will let me use the eSIM for a PAYG account. So I use my T-Mobile US service when I travel to UK, which works, but which is also a pain, sometimes.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would think that the PAYG esim will be there soon Jake? If there is enough demand.

BT is my provider and I will see about giving them a yell sometime tomorrow?

Once again, thank you all for the gen. One day, when I catch with the tech it will have moved on by 10 years or so :unsure:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would think that the PAYG esim will be there soon Jake? If there is enough demand.
I don't know, John. I had a SIM from EE that I had been using for 5 years or so, but when my new iPhone came without a SIM tray, I found that EE doesn't have an eSIM PAYG plan. They do have a month-by-month plan with an eSIM, but when I tried to convert my SIM to that, they couldn't make it work because they didn't accept my US credit card for payment. That was despite using the same card for PAYG with the physical SIM. I don't think there is a large demand for PAYG. Or maybe the goal is to end PAYG and get people on a contract somehow.

Bottom line: No eSIM PAYG for now in the UK.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry Jake, I seem to have got it wrong the way I meant it. My thought was to have the esim as my BT sim and a physical PAYG sim as and when we go abroad.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
You're OK in the UK, John :)

Quote:

"If you purchased an iPhone 14 model in the United States, your iPhone doesn't have a SIM tray. Find out how to set up an eSIM instead."

Taken from Apple site (USA).

Whereas in the UK:

"SIM tray (available on models purchased outside the U.S.)", taken from:

And:

Find the SIM tray on the right-hand side:
  • iPhone SE (1st, 2nd and 3rd) Taken from:

Ian

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@ian, exactly! I have a US iPhone, no SIM tray and no UK provider I could find offers eSIM PAYG plans. But my T-Mobile had good service for me in UK last month, so maybe I don't really need a "local" number so much. The beauty of a local number was that I could give it to my friends there and they would not have to make an "international" call to get to me whilst visiting.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I do believe that I have cracked some of the secrets of the SE?

Scan 44.jpeg

It's even written for old sods like me and they printed it slowly because I'm not a very fast reader :cool:

Reaction score
I have found the esim bit, but there's no mention of cellular anything. It comes under Mobile Data on this side of the Pond by the looks of it?

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Firstly FrauK, welcome to the forum. I had a quick look at the esim on mobile data and I think that I will leave it where it is as it looks complicated. At the moment I don't do complicated as far as phones and things are concerned :unsure: but thank you for the info.

You say "this side of the pond". Which side would that be per chance?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Just going back to your original question for a minute. I have an iPhone SE 2 (2020). It has an Apple installed newish battery about a year old. My experience is that at home all day on WiFi the phone is removed from its Qi charger at around 0630 with "normal" use by 2000 it is down to arond 30%.
That's only 13.5 hrs.

Yes, brightness and usage will effect this but it still falls way short of the advertised 59Hrs in the article attached to ferrarr's post #3.

As a comparison I have a Samsung Galaxy A03s which with the same usage will last up to 2 days without a charge.

I don't see this as a problem because usually around 2000 we retire to watch the news and maybe something else after that so I pop the phone back on the charger next to the bed.

When we are out I always carry a power pack capable of a full recharge.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I have, at last, sorted out my iPhone SE 3 problems.

I now have a Moto g52 and am going to see about selling the SE. It's only 6 month old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I have, at last, sorted out my iPhone SE 3 problems.

I now have a Moto g52 and am going to see about selling the SE. It's only 6 month old.

It seems that quite a few people agree with your choice:

And it also seems like I had similar problems plus others with an older iPhone 4 and finally got that resolved by replacing it with an Accutel 3 Flip phone that suits and works much better for my use and was also a fraction of even the price of the old iPhone 4 several years ago.

Basically, the Accutel 3 Flip phone is a Smart "DumbPhone and it just works better than the iPhone for my minimal use. It even includes voice input which works very well.

- Patrick
=======

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, they don't seem to have learned because mine is the gen 3 2022 model.

I also have a Nokia C2 slide phone and when anyone asks if I have this app or that app I just produce it and as thick as a brick ask them if they could show me how/what/when and errr, I didn't know it could do that?

Which as we all know, it can't :question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also have a Nokia C2 slide phone and when anyone asks if I have this app or that app I just produce it and as thick as a brick ask them if they could show me how/what/when and errr, I didn't know it could do that?

Which as we all know, it can't :question

There are certainly a lots of various apps available for those particular cell phones for those who do or might want to install or use them: Their choice.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.