Replacing my Moto G7 Power with an SE phone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I think I'm going to have to replace my Moto G7 Android phone and was thinking of biting the cash bullet and getting an SE. I am one of those strange folk who use their phone to actually make phone calls :eek: and don't use it that much. I also like the idea that the SE is small. I know that the battery life is good for 15 hours of video, but if I were going to spend 15 hours of my precious life watching videos then it would be on a full size haunted fish tank (TV to some people) not a fiddling little screen of any smart phone. But I can't find anywhere that tells me just how long the battery will last when it's sat in my pocket/bumbag/shoulder bag?

So my question is does anyone know just how long the battery will last in a sort of standby mode please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
This website lists it at 165 hours, but real world performance will be different.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
This website lists it at 165 hours,

Indeed it does, Bob. And that is, as Jon requested, the standalone time - meaning you don't actually use it:):)

But this Link from Macrumours may be more relevant to every day use:

Ian

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Thank you for that Bob. I obviously didn't look deep enough, but I do get confused easily :rolleyes:

The reason for the possible change is that I don't trust my Moto G since I changed the battery. I went through the charge/discharge cycles to condition the new battery and it suddenly it wouldn't charge to 100% and now also drops from the high 90s it gets too to about 80% in the first hour telling me there's 7 or so hours left. Then flattens out to show a couple of days.

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 10.38.42.png

I am thinking strongly about the SE. I have also looked at the 13 Mini, but as we don't have the same amount of beer tokens as our Prime Minister it's too expensive. Even if 165 hours is optimistic it's a dammed site better than the Moto G7 has ever been.

Another up is that it would be good to get a bit further away from google.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I think I'm going to have to replace my Moto G7 Android phone and was thinking of biting the cash bullet and getting an SE.

If you would like a suggestion for an alternative, I got fed up with my old iPhone 4 I was using for limited use but it kept doing things I didn't want it doing so I went looking for a good dumb phone and came up with one that I am overly pleased with, Alcatel Go Flip 3 that also uses Google Assist for voice input, large keypad numbers, large text even if the screen isn't the largest, and a standby time of 18 days between charges.

Its price was also just around $100 Canadian. They have released the Alcatel Go Flip 4, but apparently it is much more expensive and has fewer features. I also like the fact that the Alcatel Go Flip 3 is a flip phone and fits easily in my pocket, but I have just started using it on a lanyard around my neck which makes it easier when I am using my four-wheel handicapped stroller-walker.

It's actually designed and made for seniors, and just thought I should mention it cuz I am very satisfied with it, but I don't know if it is available or works in your country or not. Anyway you might want to check it out and I love the fact I don't have to keep charging it every day or so.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
I think iPhone SE can be a great fit for you. It's a powerful little device, and as Bob and Ian have mentioned, it has a pretty decent battery life for standby mode. Plus, it's always nice to have a device that syncs seamlessly with your other Apple products.

Of course, there are other phones on the market with decent battery life but if you're leaning towards an iPhone and want to stick with the Apple ecosystem, you can't go wrong with the SE.

Here's an article from Apple on battery life and performance. Might be worth looking through.

Whatever you choose, enjoy your new phone! Cheers!

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for that suggestion Patrick. I have had a look at it and it seems to doo a lot of the things I need but it won't plug into our Kia and a couple of other things I use occasionally. So I am still thinking along the SE line. It's only slightly larger than the Alcatel and it's a lot slimmer.

I also have an old Nokia slide phone that I produce when anyone asks me if I want to pay by phone and silly things like that. I just look at it and say that I didn't know you could do that sort of thing and look confused. It's a really good phone to boot. Well, it's always good for a giggle init :rolleyes: and I have always found it difficult to take life seriously, it's too short for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I also have an old Nokia slide phone

What's wrong with using it as a mobile cell phone if it still works for making and receiving phone calls, which I understand is all you really want to do with a cell phone.

It's probably paid for as well. ;-)

- Patrick
=======

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you NB. I have had a quick look at that link and it looks very interesting. I know a bit about LiPo and LiOn batteries from my radio control electric/gliders and gliders n general. They both have to be treated properly. I was surprised to find that my Moto G7 has a LiPo battery and it's stuck in the phone and has to be levered out! That makes it unsafe as soon as you deform the thing and is unsafe to use again under any circumstances! Not a good idea in my book.

It's a bit too basic and I do try to keep in touch with my family and the RC glider club with watsapp which doesn't fiyt on it, but I do use it to phone my sister in Aussie as the international calls are cheaper on '1P', the provider, than on my BT sim.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I now have my nice little iPhone SE and apart from it being very different to my Moto G7 it seems to be very good.

However, I plugged the SE into my iMac via the USB cable and my iMac doesn't recognise it being there. I found and followed this from Apple

And when I looked at the system settings I don't have the option 'Allow accessories to connect'

Screenshot 2023-06-03 at 09.16.33.png

The iMac is an M1 24" running Ventura and the publish date for the Apple article is the 6th April 2023, so very new.

Any ideas please folks?

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Jon,

Just a few comments which may turn out to be superfluous, but worth mentioning.

1. When you connect your SE with the Mac - open Finder and see if it is shown in the Sidebar because that is where the "action" takes place nowadays. So, maybe, just maybe, it may be there under "Locations". If so, Click on it and a screen will open, and wait till it populates.

2. Another thought: did you get a notification saying something like the SE needs to update its Firmware before it can be synced with the Mac?

3. Was there any Notification at all; telling you why the two can't be synced?

4. You may need to "Trust" the SE on your Mac and - Trust the Mac on your SE.

I have to admit that I am not familiar with "Allow accessories to connect" - never needed that or came across it before.

Forgive me if you've been through all these suggestions. That's all I can think of at the moment. I shall do some research.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I found and followed this from Apple
That article is only for silicon Mac portables, not silicon Mac desktops. I don't have that option either on my Mac Studio.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Ian and Bob, requiring authority for USB devices to attach is a relatively new security function in macOS. I noticed it for the first time a few weeks ago.

John, what version of Ventura? Are you at the most recent, 13.4?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian and Bob, requiring authority for USB devices to attach is a relatively new security function in macOS. I noticed it for the first time a few weeks ago.

John, what version of Ventura? Are you at the most recent, 13.4?
Correct, but different for desktop or portable. See this from the linked Apple Support Article,

You need to allow new USB or Thunderbolt accessories and SD cards to connect before you can use them with your Mac laptop computer with Apple silicon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
John, when I have connected a new iphone, I get a prompt on the phone on whether to trust the computer or not. Did you get that prompt? The phone won't appear until you trust the computer ON the phone.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now that Jake has explained this new function, these links may help:

Just seen that you had this one already, John. Sorry.

I did get one tiny bit right as I also asked about "Trusting" Devices (y)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro. 16" M1. Monterey 2.1
I think I'm going to have to replace my Moto G7 Android phone and was thinking of biting the cash bullet and getting an SE. I am one of those strange folk who use their phone to actually make phone calls :eek: and don't use it that much. I also like the idea that the SE is small. I know that the battery life is good for 15 hours of video, but if I were going to spend 15 hours of my precious life watching videos then it would be on a full size haunted fish tank (TV to some people) not a fiddling little screen of any smart phone. But I can't find anywhere that tells me just how long the battery will last when it's sat in my pocket/bumbag/shoulder bag?

So my question is does anyone know just how long the battery will last in a sort of standby mode please?
I have the SE but never left it on without using it until the battery expires so not much help I’m afraid. I use it quite a bit and normally charge it once a day (if that’s any help?)
John

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No forgiveness need Ian, just a thank you for your ideas.

I am convinced that this kit is female :confused3 because I have just plugged the SE back in to the USB cable after an hour or so since the first try and there it is in the side bar of Finder!

I hadn't noticed that Bob and even if I had seen it I would probably have assumed that it was the same across all of the sillycone machines? But as they say, we live and we learn. Thank you for the heads up.

All I have to do now is to sort out how to use the thing?

Sorry for the delay folks. I thought that I had posted this reply this morning, but hey-**, that's getting old I suppose. Mind you my average age is only about 53 working on, from the neck up 16, neck down 90, add together and divide by two for the average :unsure: :cheerleader

But back to subject. Yes I did 'trust' the iMac first time, but it still didn't see the SE, so I assume that it was 'looking the other way' for a while and saw it second try?

Forgot again Jake, sorry. It is 13.4.

Last edited:
OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a quick question?

In the tech specs for this SE it says way down

Screenshot 2023-06-03 at 22.54.51.png

Is this actually the case that it has an eSim? If so then where is it and how do I do anything with if I need to?

By the time I catch up with this tech it will have dissapeared in to the far distance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eSIM is not an "it." eSIM is a little bit of memory that can hold the data that would be on a SIM card. The idea behind it is to get away from having to have that stupid little card for your phone to work. Theoretically, your cellular carrier can then let you "create" a SIM for an account with them by simply scanning an appropriate QR code they can email to you. Gets you online immediately instead of having to wait for the physical SIM to arrive in the mail.

One use of an eSIM is that if you travel internationally and want a local number where you go, you can put your "home" account in the eSIM, then get a SIM for whatever country you visit for that local number (probably Pay-As-You-Go, or PAYG).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.