• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Remember the iMac G5?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would not go with AOL for Broadband. I really do not like AOL. Just go with normal DSL or Cable depending what is in your area.

Wireless is handy as you do not need wires all over the place. I use Wires for my main systems but wireless for my laptops so I can carry them around the house or even outside. I prefer wired though for my fixed systems as for network transfer of large files between my systems, it's faster. For just Internet though WiFi is fine and you don't have to try to run Cat-5 all over the place. You can get a Wireless router and plug DSL or Cable into it and your Airport will work great with it. Get your son a WiFi card for his PC and all will work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
The iMac G5 is the best computer I have ever owned. I havent had one problem with it at all and I have owned it for over a year and it is still running like the first day I got it.

D

delboywww

Thanks for that John, its good to hear and puts my mind at rest !
My first impressions are good, especially the speed with which it transfers music to my Ipod !
Thinking about an ibook now ! whats your views on them ?

Regards
Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmmm

The iBook is a great laptop for general computer usuage...I bought my sister one for this past x-mas and she loves it and uses it all the time. If portability isnt really necessary for you I would go with the iMac but if it is an issue then an iBook isnt out of the question. You may even be able to get a great deal on a powerbook since they are on their way out but in my opinion if you are really into your computer and need a good amount of horsepower then I wouldnt go lower then a G5 processor. If you do decide to go for an iBook or Powerbook then make sure you get a good deal of RAM.

I have 1GB of RAM in my 1.8Ghz 20" iMac and it runs like a dream. I have owned sooo many PCs over the years and I would never buy another windows system again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
Greenredfield said:
So what would one do? Buy the G5 or wait for an intel?

I use a 17inch intel imac. It works wonderfully with everything I use it for. Granted I don't do much final cut work or anything that isn't unviersal. Those applications should be universal soon enough though. So I would actually opt for an intel imac. It's better suited towards the future. I am planning on using mine for as long as I can before it eventually is completely outdated.

But the decision is really up to you. Good luck with it.

Oh, by the way, I heard the g5's tend to be much louder than their intel counter-parts. My fan rarely goes on, even when I'm runnning a game or have a ton of windows open.

Well thats my opinion. Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
Jammers said:
Correct everything will be universal which means it will run on Intel and Power PC models. Your post implies that Universal appas are Intel only.

No I believes his post intends to say that the intel's will have a much greater speed advantage over the g5's because they will support the intel processors... Some of which are duel core depending on model and configurations.

D

delboywww

Thanks John,

I have already got the G5 and was just thinking of having a laptop too !
and the ibook looks tempting. Thanks for your input.

ARichards, thanks for your views. I really opted for the G5 as it was £250 cheaper and does the same job. The slight speed difference won't make any difference for what I am going to use it for and after what I have been using up to now, would not notice anyway.
If I was a proffessional using it for work then I probably would have waited for the revA Intel.
I just hope that Apple will support the older models after the warranty has run out.

After my old PC running on Windows 98se its like driving a Rolls Royce in comparison !.
Cheers
Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
delboywww said:
Thanks John,

I have already got the G5 and was just thinking of having a laptop too !
and the ibook looks tempting. Thanks for your input.

ARichards, thanks for your views. I really opted for the G5 as it was £250 cheaper and does the same job. The slight speed difference won't make any difference for what I am going to use it for and after what I have been using up to now, would not notice anyway.
If I was a proffessional using it for work then I probably would have waited for the revA Intel.
I just hope that Apple will support the older models after the warranty has run out.

After my old PC running on Windows 98se its like driving a Rolls Royce in comparison !.
Cheers
Del

Your welcome brother...if you have any other questions feel free to send me a pm. Yea I used to run windows 98...ugh....

D

delboywww

digital john said:
Your welcome brother...if you have any other questions feel free to send me a pm. Yea I used to run windows 98...ugh....

Much appreciated John. I am sure I will need some more advice along the way getting back into Apple !

Regards
Del

OP
ByzantineRemnant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Now the new iMac is 64bit, just like our old friend the G5...
Pretty strange really...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iMac G5 has 64bit processing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
All the G5's were 64bit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow how did I not know that....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.