• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Remember the iMac G5?

Reaction score
Greenredfield said:
yes yes, intel mac it is.
i would not buy an intel mac yet because its a rev A. remember all the issues with rev a in the past...fires(burning) melting..batterys..and so on.. you get the point?

OP
ByzantineRemnant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
If you look 2 posts above you will see that I am indeed planning on waiting for the first revision.

OP
ByzantineRemnant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
If you look 2 posts above you will see that I am indeed planning on waiting for the first revision.

D

delboywww

EDIT-XTREEM said:
i would not buy an intel mac yet because its a rev A. remember all the issues with rev a in the past...fires(burning) melting..batterys..and so on.. you get the point?

Sorry to sound thick but what is RevA ?

I had just about made my mind up today to go for the G5 but now I have read last few posts, I am unsure again !!!!!!!

Del :confused:

Reaction score
rev a is the first revision. the intel mac is a rev a. the imac is a rev c (i think)

Reaction score
what is Crucial's site because can someone please correct because it shows me that the RAM costs 140 US per gig? am i looking at the wrong type of RAM or what? because for me it's cheaper to go through apple. If i were looking for a 1gig stick how much would it cost?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
The thing is, the 17" Intel iMac has a significantly more powerful processor, and Universal Binaries are going to be coming out by the truckload soon. Many third party developers have already got releases out, for instance the Mozilla Foundation. And the Intel 17" is 1299, 200 dollars cheaper than the slower, older G5.

OP
ByzantineRemnant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Right now on Apple's site, you can get a Refurbished 20" G5 iMac w/ isight for $1299. Even better deal IMO. does anyone know if these systems are all scratched up or anything? The price is so very tempting...

OP
ByzantineRemnant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
^This refurbished iMac does not include ilife 06'
For students, an additional $100 will get you a new G5 iMac with ilife 06'

Reaction score
Greenredfield said:
^This refurbished iMac does not include ilife 06'
For students, an additional $100 will get you a new G5 iMac with ilife 06'

See there is justification enough for the Intel machine. What i would say is that you cannot treatt he intel imac as a revision A because in theory it is a revision D. The only real difference between the machine and the powerpc is a new motherboard. Apple know how to keep the internals of that form factor cool and there is very little to worry about. My revision A intel imac is silent and has not once caused me any major concern at all. I was so impressed that when my PC at work died i talked my boss into letting me have an Intel imac there too.

I havent looked back. Though it might be worth waiting until the news tomorrow in terms of what Stevie J will pull out of his hat. I might be a nice new sexy home media centre cube so who knows....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
"What i would say is that you cannot treatt he intel imac as a revision A because in theory it is a revision D. The only real difference between the machine and the powerpc is a new motherboard."

New motherboard and processor is a fairly big change...

Reaction score
macanal said:
I would get the intel just because pro Apple apps will be universal in March( apparantly Apple are making great update deals) also photoshop will be good enough on the intel for all but Pro's.

The way i see it is a bit of short term pain for long term gain!!!

by next year most apps will be universal and you will be kicking yourself if you got a G5.
Also think about resale value, by the time your ready to sell you Imac everything will be universal and the intel Imac will hold it value much better then the G5 imac in this situation.

Thats just my opinion

Correct everything will be universal which means it will run on Intel and Power PC models. Your post implies that Universal appas are Intel only.

D

delboywww

Hi All,

Well after a long deliberation I finally have bought an Imac G5 20" before they disappear from the stores. £250 less than an Intel and for what I want it for which is copying DVD's and CD's, Internet, Ipod music etc, and digital images then I think it will be more than sufficient.
Thought about the Intel but kept reading problems with Rosetta etc and thought I do not want to wait for a year until revA is released so took the plunge !
I hope I did the right thing, I have not tried it yet but its got to blow my aging PC away ! Better start learning how to use it as my last Mac was a 6400/200 Performa running OS7.5 I think !
Del
Surrey
England

I

imacdoyou

I just bought my Imac G5 and I love it. I'm not a real multitasker so this fit the bill for me. I usually burn DVDs and browse the internet at the same time, sometimes I have Itunes running, but even then it doesn't slow down my G5. the powerpc processor works great for me. That said, I will upgrade to a dual core setup but I'd like to see what Apple comes up with for the Imac line in like two or three years when my Applecare plan expires!

D

delboywww

I read somewhere that to use dial up for internet on my G5, I would have to get an external modem and I assume that for Broadband I can just use the internal modem, can anyone confirm this or advise please.

Also if anyone in UK could advise which ISP would be best suited to Apple I would appreciate it. I have heard that not all providers support Apple.

Thanks
Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
A) Ethernet is built-in on the iMac, however to dial-in using a 56k connection, you will need a USB to 56k adapter.

B) When your ISP says that they don't support Macs, it usually means either that they have something like free Anti-Virus software (which you don't even need on a Mac), or tech support, sometimes both. If you know what you're doing and the basic steps to keeping up your home network, you should be fine.

D

delboywww

Hi All,
I am using AOL dial up at the moment but want to go to broadband.
Lots of people are telling me not to go with AOL broadband and I must say that I am not all that happy using AOL dial up as I get frequent line disconnections.
My son has a non wireless PC that he wants to use for internet as well as my Imac G5 so I need advice on the best way to do it. Is Airport the way to go bearing in mind my sons PC is not wireless ?.
Also I read that some ISP's do not have wireless option.
Anyone advise on best ISP in UK ?
Any advice appreciated as new to all this new technology !

Thanks
Del

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.