Quicksilver?

Reaction score
Have you checked out any of the online tutorials? CTRL & SPACE launches the program. From there you just start typing a program, folder name, file, contact, etc. Absolutely anything!

For example, say I have a file on my desktop that I'd like NeoOffice to open. I would do the following:

CTRL-SPACE
Type the name of the file - File pops up
TAB - begin typing Open With - the Command Open With is active
TAB - Begin typing NeoOffice - NeoOffice is selected
ENTER

Each tab action brings me to another part of the 'sentence.'

NeoOffice launches the file and you're done. You can do the same with a file and Mail. You can have Quicksilver attach the file to a new message. You can have Quicksilver play a song in iTunes. You can have Quicksilver open a contact from your address book and email them.

Reaction score
Also check out 43folders.com

They are big on Quicksilver, and, as such, have many useful tutorials, blogs, tips, etc.

Reaction score
I love that app. Would't know what to do without it! Send emails, control iTunes, launch apps,... The possibilities are almost endless :)

I put it on apple+W in order to get it's little window and it's alos completely hidden (not in the dock, not in the applications switcher and not in the menu bar). Launching apps via quicksilver saves you room in your dock. When I boot up my mac I only have 3 icons in there - I simply don't need more since I start everything I need via quicksilver

Reaction score
You have to learn for yourself. It can do a huge amount of different things. Think about how you work and you might be able to find ways of making use of it. For example, if I think of something I need to remind myself about I hit f2 and type, then hit return, and that text is automatically appended to my To-Do file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
CTRL-SPACE
Type the name of the file - File pops up
TAB - begin typing Open With - the Command Open With is active
TAB - Begin typing NeoOffice - NeoOffice is selected
ENTER

Each tab action brings me to another part of the 'sentence.'

NeoOffice launches the file and you're done. You can do the same with a file and Mail. You can have Quicksilver attach the file to a new message. You can have Quicksilver play a song in iTunes. You can have Quicksilver open a contact from your address book and email them.

That sounds like a load of work to me! LOL

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just really checkin it out myself.
Found this at appleblog
Scroll down to the Apr 27 video, has a whole video, just on getting the preferences set up, you can pause it and follow along. Then has multiple other videos for different tasks.

Reaction score
That sounds like a load of work to me! LOL

Typed out, yes. But, when you perform the actions, using the keyboard, I guarantee you that I will beat anyone that performs those actions using a mouse or trackpad.

Usually, someone would need to click on NeoOffice, then click on open, then wait for the document to load.

Using Quicksilver, NeoOffice loads the document from the start. It saves some time and it becomes a part of you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.