• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Public betas of iOS 9 and El Capitan released today

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That I can't explain. Perhaps it was flaky yesterday or perhaps this is just a coincidence. Either way, I might just blame you. :p

Perhaps you could mention that to your contacts in Cupertino? I'll take the blame in exchange for appropriate compensation. I'm thinking lifetime supply of Apple gear would be appropriate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MackBook Pro, 2.53 GHz i7, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD MacOS 10.14.6
Just a question on Mail.

Has anyone had issues with Smart Folders and the Search function not working? I installed the Public Beta over a cloned backup of my production machine on an external HD and when starting Mail it said it was updating the database then it croaked and said it had an error. It then said that the index was messed up so to quit the application. When I restarted it, it said it was importing the mail and all seemed ok on the surface. Problem is that Smart Folders and the Search function don't work at all. Both come up with zero entries. I suspect it is related to a messed up index, but the folders are all ok and the rules put things in the right places. I don't see anywhere to force a reindexing? Ideas?

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like Public Beta 2 of El Capitan was released today. Anyone download it yet? I'm about to download it as soon as I boot to my beta hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 iMac 20", 2013 iMac 24". 2007 Mini
Looks like Public Beta 2 of El Capitan was released today. Anyone download it yet? I'm about to download it as soon as I boot to my beta hard drive.
I d/l & installed earlier today and my hard drive went crazy... making noise like it was failing.
Am currently trying it again, and this time it is taking a lot longer to download.

(Later)... download done. Hard drive no longer trying to do the funky chicken. Gonna go see if I can conjure up some more good or bad about the update...

Last edited:
C

chas_m

I am pleased to report that iOS 9 pb2 resolved the very weird bug I mentioned earlier in this thread about BT keyboards not being able to do the "greater than" character. It now works perfectly.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
This morning expecting the rush may have subsided i fired up my El Capitan drive to obtain the OSX El Capitan Public Beta 2 Update.
I completed the download and was informed a restart was required, nothing unusual about that.
After the restart I was informed that there was a further update would I like to download and restart. I clicked yes. The same process repeated three times such that my updates look like the attached image.
Am I stuck in a loop here?
Is this the same update each time? If so why hasn't it installed and disappeared from the updates list?

Screen Shot 2015-07-26 at 13.26.52.png

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
So I have rebooted this time and the number of available updates remains the same the current update is downloading 296Mb of 1.94Gb and a dialogue box (see below) and as with the other updates I am asked to confirm "Download and Restart" which is what I did in the previous cases but the laptop did not restart as promised in the last case I had to do it manually after waiting 10 minutes for it to do it itself.:Confused:

Screen Shot 2015-07-26 at 13.57.41.png

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am pleased to report that iOS 9 pb2 resolved the very weird bug I mentioned earlier in this thread about BT keyboards not being able to do the "greater than" character. It now works perfectly.

Thanks. I haven't gotten around to downloading it yet. They've already squashed a bug or two I noticed in El Capitan sho this one has promise.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Something's odd here Rob. I only have one copy of that update. Installation and restart were as expected. No problems.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I feared as much, it is possible that the update has not completed successfully but there is no way to actually check that. It's also a bit strange that the recent updates show that it has completed. I guess I can only try again.:)

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now after receiving a Notification that my computer needed to restart to complete installation and allowing it to count down I receive this text; Screen Shot 2015-07-26 at 15.24.49.png

And now I have 5 downloads of the update showing in recent downloads.
Think I might try this again tomorrow. By the way clicking Show Details did nothing.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way has everybody seen the NEW Disk Utility?
I thought I would see if any repairs were needed while waiting for the download to complete and this is what I saw;

No more Repair Permissions???

Screen Shot 2015-07-26 at 15.38.06.png

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah. I got a look at it the other day to do a restore of something. Took me a few minutes to get used to it. BTW I misread one of the dialogs in the restore operation a time or two before I caught on to what the dialog says.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Disk Utility Reborn

After so many years of Disk Utility looking pretty much the same it was quite a surprise to open it today in 10.11. I even tried running First Aid just to see what would happen.
There does not appear to be any way to Verify Permissions or repair them or to verify Mac HD just run and fix.
I'm trying to work out the implications of this. There have been times where I just wanted to Verify if there was a HD problem prior to repair, I assume we can still do this up to the point where it would suggest restarting from the RP.
What about permissions, I have definitely seen improvements after running Repair Permissions in some cases, does First Aid check both? If not why not?
I think I may be using Onyx a little more in future.;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hadn't noticed that Rod. I just checked and you're right it doesn't seem to be there. Verify/repair permissions doesn't seem to even be listed in the details. If the final release doesn't have the ability to verify permissions they better explain that otherwise there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Last edited:
OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Verifying and repairing permissions is overrated anyway. For some folks, it's like a pacifier (sorry Rod) but honestly, if there is a permissions problem it can be handled one on one or by using a third party utility such as OnyX. In all the years I've been using OS X, I've never had to use repair permissions to solve a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Now after receiving a Notification that my computer needed to restart to complete installation and allowing it to count down I receive this text; View attachment 22546

And now I have 5 downloads of the update showing in recent downloads.
Think I might try this again tomorrow. By the way clicking Show Details did nothing.

Not to sidetrack your thread too much Rod Sprague, but my Software Update had some similar problems last month, but that was just for some HP printer update, 99.9% of which I didn't even need, as per Screen Shot 2015-06-26 at 1.38.49 PM.png below:

PS: BTW, there were no differences between the HP downloaded updates at all. :(

Screen Shot 2015-06-26 at 1.38.49 PM.png

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Has anyone else had difficulty with Mail filtering in the beta? I've had a problem since Yosemite, and perhaps before, where some things I want to receive go into the junk mailbox. Under Yosemite it usually affected some, but not all, Mac-Forums mail, Cult of Mac Weekender newsletter, and a few other more trivial things.

Until recently it was never consistent enough to make me consider retraining Mail's spam filter. I've noticed with El Capitan, especially since beta 2, Mac-Forums, Cult of Mac and Amazon e-mails seem to always end in the junk box.

Edit: Beta 2 fixed an issue for me where the Open With dialog did not function properly. When the dialog sheet appeared to choose the new app to open with no icons would appear. This was true even for common filetypes where I have several possible choices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.