• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Public betas of iOS 9 and El Capitan released today

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Thanks Dennis!

I read the article then tried Split Screen out. I am not impressed. First, if you are using it with two apps, they both need to be open because the dock and top menu bars are gone. What is with that?

I purchased Better Snap Tool for my Mac Pro and it is much nicer. Better Snap acts just like Windows 7 does for multi windows. You just grab the top of the app and move it. Better Snap offers a white outline that changes as you move from half screen to a quarter screen. When you get what you want you let it go.

IMO Split Screen just seems awkward.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MackBook Pro, 2.53 GHz i7, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD MacOS 10.14.6
Isn't split screen meant for full screen apps so by definition no menu bar or dock?

Cliff

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Isn't split screen meant for full screen apps so by definition no menu bar or dock?

Cliff

yes, you are correct.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Cliff

Well, not in Windows and not using Better Snap. I want the dock and menu bar. I just don't see why that has to be - at least make it an option.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MackBook Pro, 2.53 GHz i7, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD MacOS 10.14.6
I would definitely agree with that!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Well, not in Windows and not using Better Snap. I want the dock and menu bar. I just don't see why that has to be - at least make it an option.

Lisa

What I was saying above is that is the way Apple has made the split window work in El Capitan. Maybe it will change more like you want it before it releases, but for now that is the default behavior. I don't mind it as I have never really used the Bump or whatever it's called in Windows 7 so I am not used to another way of doing it.

C

chas_m

On another aspect, this time of the iOS 9 beta, I'm wondering if any Mac-Forums folks can help me confirm an issue I appear to have discovered.

If you have an iOS device with iOS 9 public beta on it, and a Bluetooth keyboard, can you test this for me?

1. Pair the bluetooth keyboard to the iOS device.
2. Press the button for period (.) and it should work as you'd expect.
3. Now press the shift key on either side and the period button, and see if it will product the "greater than" sign as it should (>). In my testing on multiple keyboards, this one keypress does not register.

Let me know what you find, and what equipment you used. Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I just tried this with my Logitech keyboard. You're right. The comma key works as expected. The period key works until you press the SHIFT key. Right or left shift doesn't matter.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried it with Notes. Will be turning in a bug report later today after I check to see if the same thing happens in other programs.

I was playing with finger drawing in Notes. It took me a while to figure out erasing things. It doesn't quite look enough like a pencil eraser to me. I suggested it look a bit more like the gum eraser type icon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I sent my observations on split screen to apple. I find it difficult (or not intuitive) to get out of it. I also fail to see why the three little balls have to disappear. Just my opinion but if it does not change I will stick with Better Snap Tool for Mac.

Lisa

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Found new Bug. I made my normal folders and Rules in Mail. Every time I quit Mail and restart it the rules are all gone with just the one default rule.

Just reported it to Apple.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Think I found one in the Maps function on the IOS 9 Beta.

We were out pf town earlier today and I had the opportunity to use Maps for the first time since installing the beta. Here's a list of the problems I encountered:
1. While at home I got a message that directions for the route I wanted were not available.
2. In the car I finally pulled up directions and started turn by turn notification I got a repeated rerouting message on screen even though we were on the route.
3. After restarting the app things worked normally.
4. On the return trip I got the same " directions not available message" despite the fact that we were essentially retraining the steps.

At that point I pulled out the wife's iPhone 6+ which was receiving the same level of signal and got the directions immediately while my phone was still reporting directions not available. Same phones, same carrier and signal level. I'm running the beta she is not.

Anyone else see this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
… … ...
Anyone else see this?

Any chance you've ever watched some of those youtube type complications of those navigating by some device and associated software…???

And you're expecting some beta software to work perfectly?? Wow.

But I can arrange for an ideal island to be available I can sell to you. :Smirk:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any chance you've ever watched some of those youtube type complications of those navigating by some device and associated software…???

And you're expecting some beta software to work perfectly?? Wow.

But I can arrange for an ideal island to be available I can sell to you. :Smirk:

No i have not watched those videos. My life works so much better when I spend as little time as possible on youtube and similar sites.

I assure you I am not naive enough to expect beta software to work perfectly. I don't even expect final release software to work perfectly. I was merely wondering out loud if anyone else, who uses Maps more than I do, had experienced the same problem.

I'll trade a few bags of magic beans for that island.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I was just joking Slydude which I'm sure you gathered, but now that you mention it, what kind of magic beans do you have there???

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I kinda figured you were. As for the magic beans well I think I'll keep that a secret fro now.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

We were out pf town earlier today and I had the opportunity to use Maps for the first time since installing the beta. Here's a list of the problems I encountered:
1. While at home I got a message that directions for the route I wanted were not available.
2. In the car I finally pulled up directions and started turn by turn notification I got a repeated rerouting message on screen even though we were on the route.
3. After restarting the app things worked normally.
4. On the return trip I got the same " directions not available message" despite the fact that we were essentially retraining the steps.

At that point I pulled out the wife's iPhone 6+ which was receiving the same level of signal and got the directions immediately while my phone was still reporting directions not available. Same phones, same carrier and signal level. I'm running the beta she is not.

Anyone else see this?
I wonder if this was more a navigation server error - I gave Maps a try yesterday (iOS 8.4) and it failed to find a route for me midday. Maybe that was the issue and not iOS 9?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That specific possibility didn't occur to me but the possibility that there could be other factors involved did. That wouldn't explain why here phone could connect at the exact same time mine couldn't would it?

I think I will be trying a few more test routes before turning in a bug report to Apple.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That I can't explain. Perhaps it was flaky yesterday or perhaps this is just a coincidence. Either way, I might just blame you. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.