Preview.app, but no preview function

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
Preview .app is in my applications folder listed at 36(?) or so Meg (version 8). It is not in my dock. When I click on Preview.app all i see is the logo. Nothing happens

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Double click on the Preview app icon to open it from the applications folder. Or drag the Preview icon from the Applications folder down into a spot on your Dock.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Double clicking in applications folder or after putting it in my dock gets the same response, nothing.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Maybe some crucial file got deleted or moved by accident...making the Preview app not operate the way it's supposed to. If this is true...you may need to reinstall the OS to get it operating again (I'm not sure if the Preview app) can be downloaded separately.

Another idea. You could try running Onyx...and see if it's routines can straighten things out in case things got "confused".

- Nick

C

chas_m

Preview .app is in my applications folder listed at 36(?) or so Meg (version 8). It is not in my dock. When I click on Preview.app all i see is the logo. Nothing happens

I do not understand what you mean by "the logo." There is no logo.

If by chance you mean the name of the app appears next to the Apple menu, then you might try File --> Open and open a picture file or PDF, or simply drag such a file into the icon for Preview on the dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
As chas_m says, check the Menubar. Does it say Preview next to the Apple? The (probable)reason that nothing appears to happen is that the Application doesn't have blank documents, like Pages or Word. It's a viewer for various types of files, so you just get the Menubar giving you the option of using the File menu to open a file.

Feel free to rubbish the above. :) :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Double clicking in applications folder or after putting it in my dock gets the same response, nothing.

Well, agree w/ the others - I use Preview constantly and do so by clicking the image I want to edit - always opens w/ that image (or if multiple images are selected and one clicked, each will open in a separate Preview window).

When I click the app itself, an icon is placed in the Dock and the Preview menu bar appears at the top - going to File -> Open or Open Recent will then put an image into the Preview window. Dave :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Meant to say the icon, not logo. Not sure how to reload OS X as I don't have a copy. Believe I can just go to the app store and download it again. I want to download the complete OSX not just the upgrade to Yosemite.
I do have Preview next to the Apple. The icon is in my dock. But again, clicking or double clicking does nothing except show it next to the apple.
Dpn't know what ONYX is. I'll look it up.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Noticed the Preview icon disappears from my dock. The size, 36.1M, next to the icon is lite grey meaning, I believe, it is not present. Will check on reloading OS X.

Reaction score
Reread some of the above posts.
Try this...right-click on a .jpg and select "Open with". Select "Preview". What happens?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right click shows Preview as my default and .jpg opens.
But clicking on icon does nothing.
Under Applications, Preview, General, shows size: 36,145,489 bytes (44.2MB on disk). Does that mean that is on my HD?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Right click shows Preview as my default and .jpg opens.
But clicking on icon does nothing.
Under Applications, Preview, General, shows size: 36,145,489 bytes (44.2MB on disk). Does that me that is on my HD?

.jpg opens = Preview works.
Clicking on the Preview icon opens the app but because you haven't opened anything there is no window.
You have to open something to get a window.
Double click the app and try using the File menu to open something.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Clicking on the Preview icon opens the app but because you haven't opened anything there is no window.
You have to open something to get a window.
This was my thinking. OP, Preview doesn't have a default/empty window view - no windows will show without content. In other words, if you open Preview without content, you won't see a thing except for Preview's hijacking of the menubar (which, like every other app, it's supposed to do).

Reaction score
Just repeating what a couple other posts said. Maybe if he sees it enough times...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just repeating what a couple other posts said. Maybe if he sees it enough times...

Hi Craig - LOL! - I've been 'Bus&* * My B**^' - in the other thread posted by him trying to explain how to use Preview - left plenty of posts & screen captures w/o even a single reputation increase - ready to just give up! Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hi Craig - LOL! - I've been 'Bus&* * My B**^' - in the other thread posted by him trying to explain how to use Preview - left plenty of posts & screen captures w/o even a single reputation increase - ready to just give up! Dave :)

I've never ever expected any reward or reputation from any Mac forum, but I see already that RadDave a glorious beacon of light. What's next…??? :Blushing:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never ever expected any reward or reputation from any Mac forum, but I see already that RadDave a glorious beacon of light. What's next…??? :Blushing:

Hey Pm-r - LOL! :) Yep, that seems to be @ the moment, but I've been really spending a LOT of time trying to help - I'm a retired academic professor of radiology and expect a few 'pats on the back' even after numerous efforts - sorry, may just be my vanity? ;) Dave - thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hey Pm-r - LOL! :) Yep, that seems to be @ the moment, but I've been really spending a LOT of time trying to help - I'm a retired academic professor of radiology and expect a few 'pats on the back' even after numerous efforts - sorry, may just be my vanity? ;) Dave - thanks.

I can't say I don't appreciate proper feedback and some thankyous RD, and I guess many haven't clicked my button to increase the reputation of the poster and so I'm stuck until than as just a jewel in the rough. ;)

But not to worry, I've been referred to as worse. :eek:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.