Ok, here's a problem with Yosemite I haven't read about yet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
After a huge meltdown, and the guys at the apple store restoring both my computer and faith in humanity, the computer is running great, as well or better than ever, except for one nagging issue.

Every time the computer goes to sleep, when I wake it up, it tells me that the "computer shut down because of an error" and it reboots. Is this a fairly common glitch? Has anyone else experienced it, and if so, were they able to remedy it, or do I live with it and wait for 10.10.1?

The upgrade was performed after a clean install of Mavericks in case that matters.

MacBook Pro (mid 2012)
2.5 GHz i5
4 gig ram

ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
IMHO th best advice for MB and MBP is always a clean install rather than an upgrade. That is each and every time, make a USB thumb drive with the operating system, format and clean install after backing up of course.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
I agree, however, as odd as it sounds, the Apple Store only HAD full installs up to Mavericks. Clean installs of Yosemite, at least as of a couple of days ago are only from the factory.

I was just happy they got it running. Given the meltdown the computer had, this is a pretty minor aggravation. An aggravation none the less.

k

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
What is the Error?

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The error says, "your computer was shut down improperly" when it comes out of sleep mode. There is nothing attached to the machine, and to make sure there was not a program causing the error, I quit ALL applications except Finder. I tried sleep via the drop down menu, as well as just closing the computer top.

M

MacInWin

It is not a fix, but you can change the settings to Never sleep for the CPU, but have the screen go black after a time. The CPU will idle, taking slightly more power than sleep, but it will most likely NOT complain about being shut down because it isn't shut down.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. Sometimes, the simplest things are the best.

I would be curious if anyone else has the same issue. This was the first glitch I noticed before the wheels came off last time, so although I'm not totally paranoid, I am a little bit nervous.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, that didn't work. I have the CPU and display set to "never".

Close the top, come back a few minutes later, the same problem.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, for whatever reason, it has stopped having the error/reboot issue. I hate problems that go away on their own, no sense of closure. If it begins to recur, I'll be sure to complain about it.

In the mean time, I'd LOVE to hear if anyone else had the same issue and what they did (if anything) to resolve it.

ken

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
GRRRRRRRRR ........ It's BAAAAAACK !

Close computer, open back up, same error. "computer shut down because of an error" and then reboots on it's own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you do a clean install by any chance yet? And that rebooting may well indicte a srious hardware problem.

M

MacInWin

Try booting in Safe Mode and then closing the lid to see what happens. If it doesn't throw the error, then it's something that is running in your machine, maybe as part of your bouts process.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
This may seem like a stupid question but I should have asked before are you having this problem on both AC power and on battery or just one?
Also what are your Energy Saver settings? Do you have "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" ticked?

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem occurs both with the battery or A/C power.

It happens regardless of the energy saving settings. I ran it for a day with "computer sleep" and "display sleep" both set to never. I reset to the original setting of 3 hours for the computer, and 1 hour for the display, still get the same error. It also occurs whether or not I close it. It was random, maybe 1 time out of 5, but now does it nearly every time.

I have quit ALL applications except finder. There are no applications other than the normal stuff on the top bar on start-up. There is no excessive CPU activity, it runs cool, no excessive heat.

Although the computer is a year old, I doubt it has more than 2 or 3 hundred hours of use on it. After the huge meltdown I had when upgrading to Yosemite, the Geniuses at the Apple store wiped the hard drive, restored from my time machine back up and then performed the upgrade as well as running their diagnostics on both the HD and the Back-up.

As far as I can tell, this is the ONLY problem. It IS however a bit of a pain, and I AM a little paranoid that it's indicative of another issue. The machine runs significantly faster with Yosemite than it did with Mavericks. Everything else seems to run fine.

ken

M

MacInWin

Is anything in the crash report? Open Console (In Applications/Utilities folder) and look for files recently named *****.crash. They should tell you what application may have crashed the machine. They should be under User Diagnostic Reports section.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't see anything labeled .crash

There is nothing with a current date indicating a crash of any time in the User Diagnostic report, or the System diagnostic report.

In the diagnostic and user messages section there are a WHOLE lot of things happening when I tried starting the system this morning.

10/25/14 6:01:01.111 AM DumpPanic[28]: com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.crashreporter.writereport.panic
com.apple.message.signature: Kernel
com.apple.message.signature2: UNBUNDLED ||| ((null))
com.apple.message.signature3: UNKNOWN
com.apple.message.result: noop
com.apple.message.summarize: YES
SenderMachUUID: 839227B8-4247-3355-AFCD-6A390FB8FE3A

10/25/14 6:01:05.459 AM powerd[26]: SCPreferences(Power Management configd plugin:com.apple.PowerManagement.xml) lock held for 2.027 seconds
com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.SystemConfiguration.SCPreferencesUnlock
com.apple.message.signature: Power Management configd plugin
com.apple.message.signature2: com.apple.PowerManagement.xml
com.apple.message.value: 2.027
SenderMachUUID: 1F97CC0A-F1D6-3A56-BA08-E644AD7CCF82

10/25/14 6:01:05.488 AM powerd[26]: com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.wake.failure
com.apple.message.signature: Drivers Failure
com.apple.message.signature2: IGPU(AppleIntelFramebuffer AppleIntelFramebuffer AppleIntelFramebuffer AppleIntelFramebuffer),HDEF(AppleHDAController),RP01(BCM5701Enet AppleSDXC),RP02(AirPort_Brcm4360),EHC1(AppleUSBEHCI),SATA(AppleIntelPchSeriesAHCI)
com.apple.message.summarize: YES
SenderMachUUID: 1F97CC0A-F1D6-3A56-BA08-E644AD7CCF82

It might as well be written in Mandarin, although I DO see the words "panic" and "driver failure"

M

MacInWin

Yeah, I don't speak Mandarin either, but I see the driver failure in the GPU (graphics processing unit) that drives your screen. It could be a hardware problem with your GPU chip. Is the machine under AppleCare?

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, not under apple care, but it's reasonably well documented that the initial failure was the day BEFORE the warranty ran out.

I guess another trip to the apple store is in order. <<<<SIGH>>>>

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@hempomatic:

I agree with Jake. Looks like a hardware glitch. Be sure to copy down the kernel panic dump and take it along with you to show to the genius bar.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.