Not receiving email notifications from Mac-Forums

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm getting some, but not all. I did not get another announcement about this thread, but I did for one other. It's hit or miss.

Thanks Jake. Which proves how hard it is for us to track down when emails are not being received.

krs

Reaction score
I wonder if everybody understands how email notifications work.
One has to log into the forum and actually bring up the thread the notification is about before one can get another email notification from that thread.
Since the email notification is not just a notification but includes the complete reply as well, I have caught myself thinking I had read the reply on the forum but in fact only read it in my email.
In that case I would not get any more email notifications from that thread no matter how many replies were posted.

What I remember from last time we went through exactly the same issue is that there was no equivalent to the "sent" folder in Apple Mail for instance to check if a notification was actually sent out.
Is there any way to test any of this?
It's also possible that emails get delayed - I see that on a regular basis becauseI have my emails sorted by date, most current at the top, and occasionally I see an email pop uo half way down the list.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I wonder if everybody understands how email notifications work.
One has to log into the forum and actually bring up the thread the notification is about before one can get another email notification from that thread.

Great reminder. We sometimes forget that.

Since the email notification is not just a notification but includes the complete reply as well, I have caught myself thinking I had read the reply on the forum but in fact only read it in my email.
In that case I would not get any more email notifications from that thread no matter how many replies were posted.

It's easy to forget that we have to log back in to read the reply and answer if we wish to receive another notification.

What I remember from last time we went through exactly the same issue is that there was no equivalent to the "sent" folder in Apple Mail for instance to check if a notification was actually sent out.
Is there any way to test any of this?

The only indication we have of knowing whether an email notification was sent is by checking the member's profile to see that the option is selected. And, unfortunately that does not tell us if the notifications were sent but that only it was selected as an option.

We only know things are amiss when they're reported to us by the membership.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
And I got yours this time Ian but not the one before.
Obviously this is really intermittent, I wonder how many others are affected. It's pretty easy to miss if you don't know there has been a new post.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I posted to this thread on my iPhone at 0623 but it's not here. It shows as sent on my iPhone and it was on WiFi at the time, the same network as I'm using on my MBP at the moment.
Anyway, it will probably turn up.
The good news is I'm now receiving email notifications of new posts all of a sudden. Three from yesterday, five from this morning.

There is a sort of way to check if notifications have been sent though, if I understand it correctly. The Bell icon top right has all "Alerts" listed and I think they should correspond to email notifications received. Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 8.40.33 am.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I'm still not getting them. And yes, I know the difference between reading the email and actually going to the forum to read the post. We'll see if I get an update from this thread at the next post.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, I got an email notification of your post #26 above and suddenly as of this morning all seems to be working again. I really think this is more likely to be a web site function issue rather than an email provider but really difficult to locate an intermittent problem I know.
I checked all my email notifications against my alerts on the MF's site and I got them all so thats a good way to cross check.
Lets see if you get a notification for this post?

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's one from left field. This evening I got this notification;

70A29348-AFA7-4287-94DB-49653B805667.png

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The odd thing about it is the thread is closed and there is no sign of the post by logmod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The odd thing about it is the thread is closed and there is no sign of the post by logmod.

Yup, something seems a bit strange with the thread and where did you see that it was "Closed"???

I see no such sign or notice and the other strange thing about the member and their supposed post. according to the member information for member "logmod":
[QUOTE]logmod:
Joined Yesterday at 3:05 PM
Last seen Yesterday at 3:08 PM
Messages 0

[/QUOTE]

I think maybe a few extra bits and bytes got a bit confused somewhere somehow... ;)

- Patrick
=======

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The thread was moderated and closed which is why you received that message.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right, fair enough. I guess I got the notification before it was closed maybe? Anyhow I didnt have a reply, just checking my notifications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
Well, I got this one as well as the one from Ian and others,
No others seem to be messing.

FWIW: I and some others had this same email thread notification problem several months ago I believe it was, but it got fixed somehow.

- Patrick
=======
I have not posted on forum in a while but recently logged on to look for something and see there were replies. some of my posts and some related to topics.

for some reason I have stopped receiving reply email notifications on MF... I get the newsletter but not any replies from members to my posts.

these are my settings, see image. are they correct?

Attachments

• macforum email.png
    macforum email.png
    143.9 KB · Views: 17

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have not posted on forum in a while but recently logged on to look for something and see there were replies. some of my posts and some related to topics.

for some reason I have stopped receiving reply email notifications on MF... I get the newsletter but not any replies from members to my posts.

these are my settings, see image. are they correct?

Settings look fine to me.:)

It should be mentioned that email notifications for watched threads only happens once (for the same thread). If a thread being watching has a new reply on let's say January 15th...then you should get an new thread reply email notification on January 15th.

If you don't revisit the site or that thread for a while...and there are 15 new replies to that thread between January 15th & February 16th (today)...you still only get a single email notification for each watched thread (the one from January 15th).

This makes a lot of sense...since if we got an email notification for every new reply in all of the threads we watch...our email Inbox's would get crammed full with new thread reply emails (if someone was watching a lot of threads).

The way it's suppose to work is...if you don't visit Mac-Forums for 2 weeks...you're watching 10 different discussion threads...and all 10 of those watched threads receive at least one new reply...you should only receive 10 different new thread reply emails.

In actuality during those 2 weeks...the 10 watched threads could have received 50 (or more) new thread replies (in total)...which would have resulted in 50+ new thread reply emails (if the site were to send an email for each & every new thread reply). But the site only sends one new thread reply (for each watched thread)...until a member revisits the site/thread.

Hope that helps,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
well oddly enough I received an email notification of your reply. so I guess I am ok... will watch for next occurrence of this!
thnx

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
well oddly enough I received an email notification of your reply. so I guess I am ok... will watch for next occurrence of this!
thnx

Cool...that's the way it's supposed to work.?

Since you already revisited the site & this thread today...you should get another new thread reply email for this post.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.