Newer Macbook Air boot up problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5K iMac, i7 Turbo, 512 SSD, Radeon R9 M295X, 24GB Ram
I just purchased a used Macbook Air from a friend. The machine is only 1 year old. But now when I boot it up all I get is a white screen with a folder blinking on the screen. The folder has a question mark on it.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can do or try? Thanks..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Usually that white screen with a blinking folder means it can not find the boot drive.

You can try a few things. Try resetting the pram and smc: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3604

Now try starting by pressing the power button and holding down the Option key. This should bring up the startup manager and show your SSD/hard drive. Select your drive and see if it will boot.

If not see if it will start in safe mode: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

If none of that works you could be looking at a SSD (hard drive) issue

Lisa

OP
Sharkz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Lisa! I'll try that first thing in morning. Heading out the door right now. Hopefully I can rescue this machine.

OP
Sharkz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I decided to stick around and give that a try and it did work. All good now. Thank you for the quick response Lisa. I tried to Rep you but received a notice that I have to spread the love around ;-)

Thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Excellent! glad it worked!

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.