New User Reputation System

Reaction score
It shows that I received reputation, but I am still at 10, it doesn't show who gave it.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It's listed if you hit the "Profile" link at the top. If someone did rate you, their rating may not count yet if they haven't been here long enough or haven't posted enough.

As for making it easier to find the "rating" button, etc, I can definitely look into that if there is an option.

As for changing the point levels, I don't know if that's a good idea, especially if we make it easier to find how to vote. Simply because we have such a large, active user base that if would move people too quickly, especially if more people are using it more often.

However, if we can't make it more visible, then I would agree that lowering the levels for now might be appropriate.

Reaction score
Wow this whole User Rep thing is confusing... know that i think of it, i think we should have the post count back.... and the rep system !

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I think someone tried to sabotage my reputation. I was unjustly given a negative rating. *wimpering*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
That is a very notable weak point in this thing

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well there are safeguards built in the system so even if they rate you negatively, they can only do so once every so many people they rate so they can't continually be rating you and purposefully ruin your score.

Now if you notice a pattern of someone abusing the system, send me a PM with what you feel is wrong and I can investigate and remove the rating if necessary.

iWhat: I just checked and I didn't see anyone give you a negative rating. I think you're getting confused by the colors....
  • Green: Positive Rating
  • Red: Negative Rating
  • Gray: The member did not meet the minimum criteria to have their vote count yet. For example, they may not have been here long enough or maybe have posted the minimum amount first before their vote counted.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks schweb, well that's good to know. I only thought that because I noticed someone else had one silver point in their profile, and I hovered over the mouse over "Gray" rating and it said something kind of negative. So I automatically thought that "Gray" was the negative rating. But I'm glad to hear that you will be investigating any foul play on the forums involving the reputation system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
perhaps we should make commenting manditory? if people can just rate with out reasoning it seems people would take it less seriously.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reputation System Updates

There have been a few updates to the User Reputation System:

• Levels adjusted to make it easier to move to a new level
  • Changed number of posts necessary before your votes count

For more information on the system, see this thread.

Please be sure to rate posts. The more the system is used, the more accurate it will become!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
cool. I have a question, in the original user rep thread, you mentioned being able to see who voted for you, how? also, I had points taken away? Id like to know a. how, and b. for what?

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can see your last 5 votes received by clicking on the "Profile" link at the top of the page.

As for having points taken away, someone must have voted negatively on one of your posts. As for why, it depends on what they may have said in their comments on the vote.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and if there is no comment? I checked, I only have good comments, though not all that have voted have made a comment.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If there are no comments, there's no way to know. You could always PM the member that voted and ask them.

Also remember, the colored dots mean different things:

• Green is a positive vote
  • Red is a negative vote
  • Gray are votes by users who have not reached the minimum post count to have their votes count towards your reputation total

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
o, ok. I know what thread its in, but I dont see a username saying who voted. sorry if I'm bothering you, or anything.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Certainly no bother. It's a new system, there will be lots of questions :)

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I can't see who voted for me either. Maybe mods can only view, who voted for who, possibly.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
K

Kokopelli

What I think we are trying to say is that while we can see what the last five votes were and whether they were positive, negative, or neutral. We can not tell who voted for us though. I figured it was on purpose to prevent ill will, but if it is intended that we see who did the voting that is not the case.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are three columns: Thread, Date, and Posted By when you're looking at the "Latest Reputation Received" list. The Posted By column is the person that voted for you.

If you're asking something else, try telling me again and maybe my thick skull will process it correctly this time ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mine only says thread, date, and comment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.