New User Reputation System

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Graphite said:
:) thats really not necessary to go back in time.. considering some members may have changed since then.. I encourage to keep recent posts rated, and not go back too far.
yea, it was cool, like schweb said, this is a beginning again, starting over, but even starting over, youre right that some peopl may have changed since then . if youre gonna go back, Id say no more than a ewek or 2 tops.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Meyvn said:
Y'know...Thinking on this...I think this new system is like, 'Everybody suck up to Macman' time. Before we switched he was pushing 2200 posts and 20 a day.
No matter who anyone would want to suck up to, it won't work. You can't continuously vote for the same person. The system is setup that you have to spread your different votes out amongst many people before you can vote for the same person again.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iWhat said:
I just did like less than 4 reputation ratings that went back one or two months. But that's all that I'll do for the past. Don't worry, I'm not going to go all reputation rating happy on ya, when it comes to rating outdated stuff.

Question:
What's the max amount of green dots one can receive?
The max is about 20 maybe? I'm not really sure. I know that everyone starts out with 10 points. There are levels setup that go into the 1000's and as you gain points, your level and sometimes your dot count changes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
o, is that what that "Macman or whoever is on a distinguished road"? and it changes after so many points?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Schweb or other Mods,

Do you see, if the reputation rating feature is being used a lot by members or it is to hard to tell? Or is it slowing coming about?

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman: Yep, it will change as your points go up. For example, the first title change is at 50 points.

iWhat: There is really no easy way to tell how much use it's getting. I know there are at least a good group of users taking advantage of it to post positively and negatively rate posts based off of things I've heard or feedback I've received.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea, I figure its in use cause when Ive added to someons rep, lots of people already have moer than the base 10 points.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
Not sure if this has been mentioned but when I click on my little rep button (the one that looks like a check mark and X only a blank little white window opens with nothing in it. This is using Firebird on a PC (sic) [hey, I'm at work].

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
on firefox? try emptying your cache.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I could see new people ignoring the function, and old members noticing the new green dot and wondering what its for. then noticing the new x and clicking on it...

Honestly I can see this being used alot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
schweb said:
No matter who anyone would want to suck up to, it won't work. You can't continuously vote for the same person. The system is setup that you have to spread your different votes out amongst many people before you can vote for the same person again.
Yeah. I was kidding anyway. I actually think this new system's a great idea. It's a much more mature way of handling things than before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
Macman said:
on firefox? try emptying your cache.

No, its Firebird, the predecessor to Firefox.Unfortunately, the IT department where I work has the say-so on if/when we update (to firefox) so that's not an option since Firebird works they are hesitant to change it.

I tried clearing the cache, ran windows cleanup etc but it still only puts a blank white window up.

I don't have the problem at home where I use Safari on my Macs and Opera and Firefox on my PCs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Force yourself to try IE :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Ooooh brownie points!

Cool, I've already got one, thanks iWhat!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im a little curious, how is the rating system working for you guys so far? are you using it? Is it helpful?

Feedback anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Here's my input on it. I think the number of votes you need to get to get another green blob is a bit much at this point. Also what would be even better is if we had the rating system as stars right under the mac specs with radio buttons or a dropdown menu so that it's a reminder.. plus it would show what you rated them or if you have rated them. That could be for version 2.. right at the beginning I was rating, then I just got into the habit of helping people out or just reading the threads.. and thus have forgotten to rate these last many days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ive rated a few people, or added points I mean. I think its going ok, though I notice lots of people that are new dont see it or dont use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree with murlyn, If we had the number lowered for now for number of rates necessary to jump the next level, then raised it as more and more people bracketed higher.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would leave it as is. Making changes now would defeat the purpose, that it was intended for.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Macman said:
I notice lots of people that are new dont see it or dont use it.

Agreed!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.