• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New MacBook Pros released

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Argh!!! :(...you buy an apple product because you are blown away and not a year later you get blown away by a newer version of that product...and...well...AHHH...gimmie gimmie gimmie...I've been waiting for mac to do LEDs...hopefully the new iMacs will have LEDs so I can finally replace my Desktop PC with my handy dandy college discount this summer.

Smeshy

I'm sure they call their marketing people Geniuses too ;P It's the same deal with cars...you'll love this year's model, but there will be a few tweaks on next year's model designed to make yours look old, outdated, and dumb. Don't look back! Enjoy what you have! lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
the videocard is kick butt from what I can tell. and up to 4gb ram? crazy................

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Pretty cool, I really wanted a nividia cards. But I am going to wait until the next big jump in memory size before I will consider buying one.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Anyone wanna buy a 5 month old MBP?

And kaidomac, just get a new enclosure for the hard drive and switch to FW. Makes a big speed difference, but you do have to carry the power adapter for it.

8600M GT - DirectX 10 but no HDCP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 GB at 7200rpms 4GB ram...iPhone 3G
This is what i've been waiting for! Yes these machines are so sick! Getting mine in 57 days!

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Anyone wanna buy a 5 month old MBP?

And kaidomac, just get a new enclosure for the hard drive and switch to FW. Makes a big speed difference, but you do have to carry the power adapter for it.

8600M GT - DirectX 10 but no HDCP

Yeah that's the only issue, power. I'm not always around a power outlet. I've got a handful of laptop drives in external enclosures already...it seems only the smaller, slower ones work on a single USB port (like 80gb 5400rpm). It also seems to depend on the case as well as on the USB port...some computers don't have enough juice on the front ports of the desktop case to let you run them with just one USB cable. Same with some laptops...my previous Gateway laptop could power them from the rear ports, but not from the side ports.

Reaction score
Can someone explain or is there a site that shows the difference between the old screen and the new screens?

I just don't get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 GB at 7200rpms 4GB ram...iPhone 3G
Yea are the screens worth it for the 100 + dollar upgrade to the new resolution?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Can someone explain or is there a site that shows the difference between the old screen and the new screens?

I just don't get it.

LED backlighting was done to save energy, reduce heat, and help the environment. Supposedly there's no difference in brightness or viewing angle, but people have been saying that the black levels are much better on the new screens. There's some pics in this thread:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=128137&page=4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
LED backlighting was done to save energy, reduce heat, and help the environment. Supposedly there's no difference in brightness or viewing angle, but people have been saying that the black levels are much better on the new screens. There's some pics in this thread:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=128137&page=4

I don't have any experience with the previous MBP's. But I can tell you, I just watched a few minutes of Sin City on my new MBP (I use it to adjust contrast on LCD's and plasmas because of the use of black and white) and it was impressive to say the least.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Just discovered that MCE Tech is offering a second hard drive bay for the MacBook Pros. The kit includes an enclosure for the SuperDrive so that you can use it externally. Dual 300gb 4200rpm, 250gb 5400rpm, or 200gb 7200rpm drives...awesome!

http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/

Edit: They said that the MB/MBP uses a non-standard 9.5mm optical drive for which no enclosures are available yet, but they give you the option of an external portable or desktop burner if you want it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Holy moly...hackable MBP...who woulda thunk it :p

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Holy moly...hackable MBP...who woulda thunk it :p

Same deal with the Mini. I'm surprised that MCE Tech has that adapter...my friend and I hacked the optical bay in the Mini last year to support two full-sized IDE drives, but we had to hunt down a company in China that made specialty adapters for laptops. It's like the only company in the world that makes a JAE 50-pin to IDE 44-pin adapter. Nice to see another company using it, I'm considering doing dual drives with an external portable Firewire burner now...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB RAM, 22" Samsung WS monitor, Apple Bluetooth KB & Mighty Mouse, Airport Extreme BS
In contrast, the 13" MacBook feels a bit chunky to me. If they could slim it down a bit and maybe lost half a pound it would be much more "portable".

Huh!? How much more slimmer do you want? It is only an inch thick now! Being lighter would be nice. To compare with 13" Sony Vaio (from CND Sony store):

MacBook = 5.1 lbs.
VGNSZ420NB = 4.1 lbs.
VGNSZ450NC = 3.72 lbs.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Huh!? How much more slimmer do you want? It is only an inch thick now! Being lighter would be nice. To compare with 13" Sony Vaio (from CND Sony store):

MacBook = 5.1 lbs.
VGNSZ420NB = 4.1 lbs.
VGNSZ450NC = 3.72 lbs.

That's why I said slim it down "a bit" ;) The real issue is the weight. It looks much lighter than it feels lol. When you pick it up you realize it's a nice-looking brick...a lot more hefty that the design lets on!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
someone had mentioned the price on memory being a bit high. If you look really really hard (coughblogcough) you might find some decently priced memory for MPBs. Buying the upgrade from Apple directly isn't for the likes of users here, y'all can do your own memory upgrade for more than half of the price they're asking. From almost ANY memory vendor. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
As a person who loves less bezel, more screen, one of the things I didn't like about the MBP's was the way they had to increase the size of the bezel at the top to accommodate the iSight. As one who doesn't use it, I found the disproportionate size of the bezel from the side to the top very unattractive.

I noticed on this recent upgrade they've made the top bezel a bit thinner and it's much more appealing IMHO. I suppose that's a very minor difference, but noticeable to me.

Are there any other minor physical differences?

Reaction score
I am now really glad I held out and waited for the new MBP's to come out, now I am just wondering I cant decide by the Matte or Glossy screen, I was going to go with the glossy but I sit next to a window would I get bad reflections and potentially make the screen unviewable?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.