• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New MacBook Pros released

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB
Hello I am new to the forums, I have been reading them for a while though. I plan on buying my first MBP soon. After this update it is set in stone now.

One problem I have with it though is that they only offer the LED backlight on the 15-inch... I kinda expected that but still ya know I thought Apple would be well Apple haha and do the amazing. I'm wondering if anyone knows whether or not there will be the LED option for the 17 inch models any time soon.

Also is the LED really that big of a deal? I know it saves on battery power, but exactly how much of a difference will there be? and does it do anything else?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Hello I am new to the forums, I have been reading them for a while though. I plan on buying my first MBP soon. After this update it is set in stone now.

One problem I have with it though is that they only offer the LED backlight on the 15-inch... I kinda expected that but still ya know I thought Apple would be well Apple haha and do the amazing. I'm wondering if anyone knows whether or not there will be the LED option for the 17 inch models any time soon.

Also is the LED really that big of a deal? I know it saves on battery power, but exactly how much of a difference will there be? and does it do anything else?

The 17" has LED backlighting. I just confirmed it with an online Apple Store rep. So, what are you waiting for? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
really? hmmm then their website is a bit misleading... it says:

More than beautiful

The new 15-inch MacBook Pro is better for the environment, thanks to its new mercury-free display. Backlit by light emitting diodes (LEDs), the display weighs less and is more power efficient than the cold cathode fluorescent lamps (CCFLs) which most notebooks employ, and provides full brightness immediately after the system is turned on.

but if their rep said that I wonder which is right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
Dangit! I need to live on the east coast so i'm not asleep while updates like this are announced! I'll post my opinions on the YourMacStore Blog this morning before I take off. (I'm going to be out this afternoon...like y'all care ;) )

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Interesting, even though the new FSB is 800mhz, the RAM is still PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 memory. OWC sells a 3gb MacBook upgrade kit that includes a 2gb sodimm plus a 1gb sodimm for $166.97. That means you could get two kits to get two 2gb sodimms for $333.94, which is over $400 cheaper than Apple sells it for. Then you could sell off the two 1gb sticks for at least $50. Hmm...:D

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/53IM2DDR3GBK/

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I should also point out that Hitachi's new 200gb 7200rpm drive will become available to consumers this summer for around $250. You can already buy them in Dell and Alienware laptops according to Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/10/hitachis-2-5-inch-travelstar-7k200-200gb-7-200-rpm-bulk-encr/

4gb for $334 + 200gb 7200rpm hard drive for $250...I'd save over $300 and get an extra 40 gigs of hard drive space if I do the upgrades myself. Hmm...the ram upgrade is easy but the hard drive upgrade is a real pain in the neck. It took me well over an hour the last time I upgraded the hard drive in a MacBook Pro (that was mainly just getting the case to fit back together!).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 17" has LED backlighting. I just confirmed it with an online Apple Store rep. So, what are you waiting for? :)

Just for your info... I don't know who is right now. lol this guy says a rep told him the 17" has the LED backlight while the website says it doesn't and well this also tells me it doesn't....

storecz7.jpg

not sure who to believe now... I really don't think that the 17" has it but oh well...

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Just for your info... I don't know who is right now. lol this guy says a rep told him the 17" has the LED backlight while the website says it doesn't and well this also tells me it doesn't....

not sure who to believe now... I really don't think that the 17" has it but oh well...

Hah, that's funny. The guy I spoke with online said they definitely had LED backlighting. I'd hold off until it's confirmed. The wording on the website is kind of weird:

A great video processor powers a great display. The new MacBook Pro is available in 15-inch models with a new mercury-free, power-efficient LED-backlit display and a 17-inch model with an optional 1920-by-1200 pixel display.

I wonder if the "millions of colors" issue is also going to be addressed ;)

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
One little thing bugs me...only 2 USB ports on the 15" model?? This a $2,000 laptop and they couldn't put more than two? Oye...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
One little thing bugs me...only 2 USB ports on the 15" model?? This a $2,000 laptop and they couldn't put more than two? Oye...

hubs aren't that expensive ;)

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
hubs aren't that expensive ;)

Yeah, but I don't want to carry a hub with me, especially a powered hub. I prefer to use a wireless mouse with my laptop, so there's one USB port. I also carry around a USB memory stick that I use. Plus a 2.5" USB hard drive, which typically requires 2 USB ports (data & power). Plus anything else I'd happen to have in my bag.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube

Engadget article

* All 15-inch MBPs now use LED-backlit displays standard; 17-inchers still use CCFL (cold cathode fluorescent)
* Apple claims users can see a battery-life benefit of between 30 mins - 1 hour (depending on use). They did not have stats on exact efficiencies between LED and CCFL backlit displays.
* The new LED backlight is the same brightness: 300 vs 300 nits of the previous gen's CCFL
* The viewing angle is also the same as before
* In other words, besides faster time from fully-off to full-brightness and an increase in battery life, Apple claims users should notice absolutely no perceivable difference between last-gen displays and the new LED-backlit ones.

Apparently the MBP is also .02-pounds lighter :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Yeah, but I don't want to carry a hub with me, especially a powered hub. I prefer to use a wireless mouse with my laptop, so there's one USB port. I also carry around a USB memory stick that I use. Plus a 2.5" USB hard drive, which typically requires 2 USB ports (data & power). Plus anything else I'd happen to have in my bag.

I don't know if you care for them or not, but the Mighty Mouse is Bluetooth and works great! Plus it's low profile design makes it great for portability. If you don't like the MM, there are other great BT mice on the market.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.