New MacBook Air, need printer recommendations please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
17 years!
That's pretty impressive, especially considering all the mechanical parts in a printer.
I'm lucky if I get 5 years out of a printer now-a-days

It seems like they don't make them as they used to. :Smirk:

I still have a workable HP 4ML Laserjet Mac serial printer that was released in May 1993 that I still use for some large B&W jobs, but I have to fire up an older Mac with OS 10.5.x installed as the printer needs AppleTalk which apple removed in Snow Leopard, and an AsanteTalk adapter looks after the Mac serial port that that model
of printer needs and uses.

So I guess I don't have too much room for complaint after 27 years of fairly faithful use. And the last toner cartridge I needed only cost me $50 several years ago, and it printed many pages and still has many more to go!!!

None of the more recent inkjet printers I seem to have inherited have worked even a fraction of that time, but here's hoping the recommended Canon MX 922 Pixma printer I bought last year works better, and one of the reasons I purchased that model was because I had several sets of ink cartridges I had recently purchased for an earlier Canon Pixma that started printing goofy double lines, that used the same kind of ink cartridges.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
It seems like they don't make them as they used to.

No, they don't. On the other hand, the laser printers from 20-some years ago that were built like tanks cost thousands of dollars even back then. You can get an excellent modern high-end personal laser printer for under $200, and there are low-end models that go for well under $100.

Interestingly, you can still purchase an HP laser printer that is built like a tank and which goes for thousands of dollars (if that's what you want):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FVQZKS/?tag=macforums0e4-20

But the fact is that even modern personal laser printers still can last a long time. I had several Brother HL-1440's that lasted in my office for 14 years. And even then, I didn't retire them because they broke (they didn't), I retired them because I was ready for something newer, faster, and which could print at a higher resolution. I'd say that I got my money's worth out of them. ;)

My experience with inkjet printers is that you can expect them to last about 4 to 6 years. That's not a bad deal considering the fact that if you wait for a good deal on one (assuming that the price isn't driven up by a pandemic), you can get an excellent one for well under $100. I got my Canon MX922 multi-function on-sale for $70. That price is pretty amazing considering that if I had purchased a stand-alone sheet feed scanner all by itself it would have been over $300, and the MX922 includes one, along with a number of other functions and a stunning color printer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, I got the HP working again after doing some cleaning on the main roller and removing the static from the paper I'm using.

One thing I found out.... I buy cheap copy paper from Staples or Kroger and it's packaged very tightly and may even be recycled. It seems that type of paper causes more jams than the better paper that's sold and labeled by HP, Canon, Brother, etc. The problem is that labeled paper is generally 2 to 3 times the cost of the cheap stuff.

I also buy and use 3 hole paper for the binders we make. That paper is more expensive but a lot less likely to cause jams.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got my Canon MX922 multi-function on-sale for $70.

Wow...!!! I think that is about $100 less then what I paid for my Canon Pixma MX922 following your's and some other's recommendations, and after discovering I could use the same ink cartridge I had just purchased for the previous Canon printer that went goofy. And even at that price, it had been well reduced and I got it for an excellent sale price in comparison to its regular selling price.

Now there aren't any available regardless of price as it has been discontinued, but neither is the replacement model available at any of the local stores.

And speaking of specifications and models, I found it really annoying with Cannon and most other printer manufacturers was their lack of descriptions for what their particular model printers could do or the cartridges used etc. and what determined the particular model number. A comparison list would have been greatly appreciated.

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
With everyone staying at home lately and nothing better to do but play around with their computer and printing whatever, good printers are in scarce supply. The Canon TR-8520 is very difficult to find and usually out of stock.

Reaction score
17 years!
That's pretty impressive, especially considering all the mechanical parts in a printer.
I'm lucky if I get 5 years out of a printer now-a-days
Mine won't work with the M1 MacBook, but my husband's identical one works with his new Intel iMac. The 1012 was a great printer. I used it for about 15 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine won't work with the M1 MacBook, but my husband's identical one works with his new Intel iMac. The 1012 was a great printer. I used it for about 15 years.

Are both Mac models running the same OS operating system version???

EDIT:
BTW, I wonder if what they say about Mac compatability is really true for their HP LaserJet 1012 Printer???

HP Laserjet 1012 (Q2461A) Driver Download Link
HP printer 1012 laserjet driver for Mac OS X – Download (11.3 MB) / Download (8.7MB)
Supported OS: Mac OS X v10.9 Only.
File: lj1150_1010serieshbmac9.sit

Really...??? "Supported OS: Mac OS X v10.9 Only"

I find that hard to believe...

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They both are using Big Sur.

OK.
See my edit post above that I just added before yours. But something doesn't make sense.

And I must say, the hp site is almost impossible to get some accurate information from, especially if one is using an older mac os version they don't even list as I am doing!!!

I would try downloading and using Gutenprint software as it apparently supports the hp 1020 when running Big Sur.

EDIT (2:57pm PST):

[QUOTE]vn268

User level:Level 1
(19 points)
Answer:A:
Gutenprint works for the LaserJet 1012 on Big Sur. I had the same problem after upgrading, and love the 1012 printer - have no interest in getting a new printer.
Download from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-print/
Install, and then delete your printer in the Printers and Scanners preferences and re-add it. Under "Use:" in the Add Printer dialog, click the drop down menu and instead of selecting the HP driver (chosen by default), pick the Gutenprint 1012 driver. Click accept to the warning that appears (noting that it is not a manufacturer provided driver).
Print a test page to confirm and you'll find it works perfectly.
Posted on Dec 1, 2020 8:37 PM[/QUOTE]

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm currently using the Gutenprint driver in lieu of the HP driver and it works great with the LaserJet 1012. The HP driver that is included with the Apple HP driver package likewise works.

Don't believe what you read on the HP site. That site has been out of date and behind for years. HP really only supports their very latest printers and has always given priority to Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't believe what you read on the HP site. That site has been out of date and behind for years. HP really only supports their very latest printers and has always given priority to Windows.

Man, is that ever a huge understatement from what I just experienced visiting their site!!! ?

They seem to have gone a long way down the slippery slope since I was last there, and it was bad enough back then.

Too bad as they seem to have some good products, just not very well supported for the Mac world users.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
If color printing is nice to have...color laser printers have a higher cost/page than inkjet color printers.

If your relative is in Real Estate...color printing is probably almost necessary if they would be printing their own sales documents for homes they're showing. I know if I was looking to purchase a home...I would want color sales documents rather than black & white (at least color photos of the inside & outside of the home).

Generally speaking...inkjet printers have ink that will smudge or run when exposed to water/rain...although I think I have seen waterproof ink for inkjet printers. As you probably know...Real Estate agents show homes in all sorts of weather (including rain & snow)...thus not good to hand out color documents to buyers if the ink may run in the rain.

I think if it were me (and I was a Real Estate agent printing my own documents)...I'd be seriously thinking about a color laser printer. Of course someone could also go to a Fed Ex or UPS store that has color printing.

- Nick
I would suggest having multiple printer heights to choose from (2 or 3 different height versions).

My prints are never higher than 2cm.

Would be great if I could choose to buy, for example, a 10 cm or 15 cm lower printer than the current ones, which would take less vertical space, therefore I could put more printers one above the other on a shelf.
I also think that the printer would then be even more rigid, and the price for it could also be some €uros lower (less frame material, shorter lead screws etc.)
And if anything - upgrade kits (motors with longer lead screws, frame material, rods) could also be sold, if anyone decides to have a higher printer afterall.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm confused "jsteave".;)

The post you quoted focus's on how inkjet ink can smudge/run when exposed to water/rain...compared to laser printer ink which does not run/smudge when wet.

Your post seems to focus on physical "printer height".

I'm not seeing the connection between the post you quoted & your post. Maybe you can clarify.:)

Nick

Reaction score
Randy is right about the TR8520, it's very difficult to find one somewhere in stock. I was lucky and grabbed one when B&H in NY got them in stock. What I did was tell them to notify me when they came in stock. When they sent me the email, I ordered it the same day.

Now however, it appears my HP LaserJet 1012 has finally given out on me after 17 years of use. Paper is jamming and very likely the rollers need replacing. Too much work trying to locate parts and repairing it myself. Time to replace it. :(
I love the 1012 and finally got it to work with the M1 iMac. If you find a replacement for you please share what you chose. I had bought a newer HP which absolutely would not work with the silicon Mac and then a Brother which did...most of the time.. and which I hated. After I played with the 1012 enough to get it to work 90% of the time I exiled the Brother to the garage. It is easier to resolve issues with the old HP. But I recognize that is likely to give out before I do!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It describes the issue and a simple solution.

I'm sure those Mac users affected will appreciate there seems to be a workaround, but it seems to be very involved and complicated for some and completely unnecessary, just because HP cannot update their site and software properly.

That's unfortunate as they used to make some excellent printers for Macs, and fairly easy to set up.

I guess things just don't work like that these days. Very unfortunate and sloppy...

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
... HP cannot update their site and software properly

I've been begging any Macintosh users who will listen to avoid HP products for many years now.

Just before Steve Jobs returned to Apple, Apple and HP had worked out a tentative deal for Apple to OEM HP's printers, similar to how the original LaserWriters and StyleWriters were actually Canon printers with Apple's logo on them. When Steve returned to Apple as their CEO, he didn't like the deal that was agreed to, and he had a big fight with the HP folks, and the entire deal was called off.

Ever since then, Macintosh users have been treated like second class citizens by HP. Of all the printer manufacturers, HP has consistently been the LAST one to offer updated Macintosh drivers when they are necessary. HP has also been known to orphan fairly recent hardware by choosing to not update their drivers for the Macintosh AT ALL for some models.

It's possible, as a Macintosh user, to call up HP for support and have a good experience. But, unfortunately, it's also too common to hear from a Macintosh user who has been treated very poorly by HP support just because they have a Macintosh.

Given that there are plenty of other printer manufacturers, and several of them do a fantastic job of catering to Macintosh users, I very much recommend avoiding HP products. I tend to recommend Brother for laser-based products, and Canon for inkjet-based products. (But not all models of either, just certain models. If you are reading this and looking for a new printer, start a new thread and I can recommend specific models for your needs.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ever since then, Macintosh users have been treated like second class citizens by HP.

It does seems quite amazing and non-business like that such animosity towards Mac users still seems to carry on and certainly nothing like a good CEO should be doing to increase their business sales.

But it does seem as if the old grudge just carries on. Maybe somewhat politely but the proof is in the apparent lack of HP printer Mac support.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I find the HP bashing interesting. I have always had good success and good support for HP inkjet printers on my Macs. They run well, connect easily and do a good job printing. I must just be lucky in that. And when I had to contact HP (I did need to do that once) I got good support. Again, I must be lucky, I guess.

On the other hand, my one-and-only time with a Canon printer was an absolute disaster. It would not print more than 10 pages before it went into a "cleaning" cycle. As a result, I never got more than 100 pages from the ink cartridges. I took it to a Canon repair center but they said that was "normal" for Canon printers. I carried that printer from the repair center to the recycling center and ditched it, stopped on the way home to get an HP and never looked back.

Never tried a Brother, but I've heard some nice things about them. We had Brother printers in my office, back in the day, and they seemed to work well as network printers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.