• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New iPods and Apple TV announced by Apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I can understand why the classic exists. And it does have it's fans. But to me it's more of a media storage device then a media playback device. And most people with a classic also bring their notebook computers with them too so experiencing the content is not really an issue.

That's actually partly true. My classic really only serves the purposes of a playback device as I have already described. While I do bring my iBook with me it and the Classic don't interact much other than for the occasional Classic battery charge. The content is either experienced on the Classic or on a TV but not on the iBook.

Chris H[ said:
Then tell me why the iPod Classic exists, besides the fact that it has the largest storage capacity of any other iPod. Hmm?

The Classic is simple. Clickwheel+2.5" screen= classic iPod. A touchscreen would only mar its image as the only "original" iPod left- something that some consumers still want…

The Classic still exists because there is still a market for it, primarily because of it HDD size. Yes it simple but if Steve wanted to he could make a touch device with that HDD inside it. I'm actually not disagreeing with most of your argument, just that fact that consumers of the classic don't want a touch screen on it. Sure it wouldn't be the "Classic" anymore but I think sales would jump just on the drive size alone. As I said, it ain't gonna happen.

lifeisabeach said:
I know the old ATV runs Tiger… that's on standard PC hardware. The new ATV runs the same mobile hardware as the iPhone/iPad, which don't run Tiger. If only Apple had a mobile OS that runs on that mobile hardware

I actually wrote that before I read the rest of the thread. Until someone gets their hands on the new hardware what the new ATV runs is open to speculation, that's really all I'm saying. Other sites "guessing" what it may or may run doesn't prove anything. Frankly though, I don't disagree with you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
Anyone know when the AppleTV will start to ship? I ordered mine on Wednesday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I actually wrote that before I read the rest of the thread. Until someone gets their hands on the new hardware what the new ATV runs is open to speculation, that's really all I'm saying. Other sites "guessing" what it may or may run doesn't prove anything. Frankly though, I don't disagree with you.

Oh it's certainly speculation, but it'd make utterly no sense for Apple to create yet another OS just for the new ATV when iOS obviously would do perfectly well. In fact, having it with an SDK and App Store would really help drive adoption. It's a bit odd they aren't saying one way or another what it's running. Since they have openly stated that the new nano isn't running iOS, their silence on the ATV is pretty ****ing to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
But to me it's more of a media storage device then a media playback device. .

I would agree with you on this one. BUT what a expensive Ext HDD to have just for media........

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
Why have that many movies? You're a digital hoarder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I would agree with you on this one. BUT what a expensive Ext HDD to have just for media........

Cheers

Very expensive. But also very convenient. And some people are willing to pay a lot more for the ease of use/form factor the ipod classic has. Sure for use anywhere with a desk my 500gb Western Digital external hard drive (cost me like $150) is a charm. I like it a lot. But if you don't have a desk like of a plane or a long car trip or some similar non desk experience then you probably don't have the extra power point or stable surface for the external hard drive.

For that end I can see the appeal of the classic as a storage device. But seriously if you can't live without your media for long enough between desks pr between times you have access to a power point then you're a little obsessed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why have that many movies? You're a digital hoarder.

I don't know if that was aimed at me or not. I have so many because:

A) I've been buying DVDs since they were introduced.
B) So has my wife.
C) Streaming them digitally and having them at my fingertips in extremely convenient, and
D) Because I want to.

A "digital hoarder"? Maybe, but HDDs are physically small, take up little space and are cheap. Who cares?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Sure choice is a wonderful thing. But watching/listening to all of that material in one go? Hmmm I'd assume that's months if not years of play time there. No one seriously can experience all of that content on one plane trip or one holiday, no matter how long it is.
True but I don't think anyone wants to listen it all. The convenience of having a large HD is choice. Sure, you can't listen to it all but it's nice to have it all (or a portion of it). I can't tell you how many times I've had my iTouch with me and been disappointed that I don't have something on there because of a lack of space. Having a huge HD helps to alleviate that.

Or, in the case of baggss, less likely that it will happen ;).

Look at my sig line. That is actually about 30,000 songs less than I actually have, not to mention my 800+ movies and 3500+ TV Episodes.
I hope one of those TV shows isn't game 5 of the Western Conference Semi-Finals. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hope one of those TV shows isn't game 5 of the Western Conference Semi-Finals. :p

It is, but it's preceded by Game 4 so that makes up for it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DP 867MHz MDD, 660GB HD Space, 1.5GB RAM, Radeon 9000 PRO, Superdrive
Well..I don't see anything higher than 64GB FS coming to any iPod, anytime soon. At least not for a year or two (one can only hope).

For me and my 177 apps, 1163 songs, 1116 photos, 3 Podcast videos and the remaining junk, I still have about, +/- 7 gigs of space left on my iPod touch.

Of course, you probably have a gigantic library of music and videos. I used to store a lot of podcasts on my iPod touch- and then I figured it isn't worth storing all my podcasts on my iPod touch- mainly because I can watch YouTube videos, or use a computer.

I've been stockpiling those TV series since they were introduced however many years ago. I buy them by the season so I've got plenty of videos. Honestly I've needed to split my itunes library between two computers because my laptop only has a 320GB HD, my desktop has a 500GB HD and my library is around 500GB. I'm not saying I need every single file on my iPod, but it would be nice to fit maybe half of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
philosophically it seems like a waste to me. You'll never watch 99% of any of that ever. I just have some sort of deep psychological disdain for the whole concept.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It is, but it's preceded by Game 4 so that makes up for it!
Touche. That would definitely help.

philosophically it seems like a waste to me. You'll never watch 99% of any of that ever. I just have some sort of deep psychological disdain for the whole concept.
Some people, and I don't necessarily speak for anyone here, may think of it like a collection. You may not necessarily use it all but it's part of a collection. You don't necessarily "use" all of the cards in a sports card set but you nonetheless collect them all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some people, and I don't necessarily speak for anyone here, may think of it like a collection. You may not necessarily use it all but it's part of a collection. You don't necessarily "use" all of the cards in a sports card set but you nonetheless collect them all.

That is exactly how I view it. I suppose that one could consider collecting anything to be "hoarding" though. I have lots of stuff I may never listen to (i've watched nearly all the video I've ripped though) but the resources to keep them are relatively inexpensive and I can afford them. No harm that I see.

Chris111 said:

Ok, so don't do it. I see where you are coming from but that's your taste for your life and there's nothing wrong with it. There's also nothing wrong with me choosing to have a large collection either. I'm not particularly complaining about it in any way, although I DO wish iTunes were better designed to deal with large library files, but that's really my problem.

FYI, my wife's music collection is larger than mine (no, they are not combine), although my video collection far outstrips hers.

Touche. That would definitely help.

Sad part is Detroit actually scored more goals than SJ in that series and still lost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I'm not particularly complaining about it in any way, although I DO wish iTunes were better designed to deal with large library files, but that's really my problem.

No. That is Apple's problem too. As people with excessively large Music or Movie collections like you are also customers of Apple. And Apple should be doing everything it can for all of it's customers to keep them.

I have to agree with the large lists in itunes. I have roughly 5000 songs in my main music list. And it's a real pain to sort through it all. iphoto has events and such to sort through the thousands of photos. And itunes needs something for movies music. I'm sure the one bloke out there with 100 thousand plus items in his itunes list is really begging for this change. Mind you I'm sure we'd all benefit too from such a change. Be it a 100 or a 20 thousand item sized itunes list.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, so don't do it. I see where you are coming from but that's your taste for your life and there's nothing wrong with it. There's also nothing wrong with me choosing to have a large collection either. I'm not particularly complaining about it in any way, although I DO wish iTunes were better designed to deal with large library files, but that's really my problem.
You'd think that a company that can design two efficient operating systems (OS X and iOS) could design a multimedia application that could handle large amounts of data.

I've read various things about why it's slow including the fact that it's written using the Carbon API as opposed to Cocoa and the fact that the list of media is stored in an XML document and not a database (I think the file is ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml if you haven't moved your iTunes library elsewhere). Regardless, I agree with a comment I read on Ars about iTunes 10:
But if this is the kind of stuff Apple wants to stuff in and call it a day on a major version, I think everyone would be fine if iTunes 11 is just a ground-up, blazing fast Cocoa re-write of iTunes, with zero new features.
In other words, do what they did for SL - optimize and fine tune as opposed to cramming new features into iTunes 11.

Sad part is Detroit actually scored more goals than SJ in that series and still lost.
Four of those five games could have gone either way. I was pretty sure that whoever won that series stood a good chance of winning the cup but I'm getting way off topic here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You'd think that a company that can design two efficient operating systems (OS X and iOS) could design a multimedia application that could handle large amounts of data.

In other words, do what they did for SL - optimize and fine tune as opposed to cramming new features into iTunes 11.

I sure wish they would. Yep, it's an XML file and yes that is the likely culprit. I'll give songbird a whirl once I get an Intel machine.

Four of those five games could have gone either way. I was pretty sure that whoever won that series stood a good chance of winning the cup but I'm getting way off topic here.

True, they almost got their butts kicked by Phoenix in round 1 too. Detroit vs Chicago for the east would have been nice but after the season they had getting as far as they did was good enough. Frankly, the extra 4 or 6 weeks off time will do them wonders in the upcoming season I suspect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.