• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New iPods and Apple TV announced by Apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I still do not consider the new nano UI to be iOS. When something says it is "for iOS" whatever they are talking about will not work on the nano... Just because has the same visual style doesn't make it the same. when an update is released for iOS, I'm sure it won't apply to the nano. calling the nano iOS is like calling windows phone 7 windows 7, or calling a gameboy NES.

And the apple TV runs it's own software, similar to front row, but with more features this time around.

LOL! That's very amusing. Ok ok, I'll have to grant you the one on the iPod nano (see below), but not the ATV. Look… Front Row is not an OS. I don't believe Apple ever actually acknowledged it, but the old Apple TV runs on Mac OS 10.4. Tiger. Yes… Tiger. Apple hid a lot of the booting process and made it jump straight into Front Row, but running 10.4 most certainly is what it does. The new Apple TV most certainly isn't running 10.4 (or 10.5 or 10.6). Not with that hardware. It's gotta be running iOS, booting straight into Front Row. I would certainly expect them to release an SDK for the new ATV that takes into account the fact that the ATV does not have a touch screen UI, but bottom line… it's gotta be running iOS. Apple won't say if it is or isn't, but Macworld sees it my way too.
Apple TV: What you need to know | Networked Players | Playlist | Macworld

Apple: Touchscreen iPod Nano Does Not Run iOS | Cult of Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" & iPod Touch
I would love to get the new ipod touch to replace my 1e gen ipod touch. Too bad they did not copy the iphone4 design and the cam on the back is a bit less then the one on the iphone4. I also like the nano and the iTV is not bad mediasteamer...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I already said my thoughts on the whole keynote and the products released in the "
September 1 Event Stream" topic.

And I must say creating a ping profile was a complete pain in the butt for me. Mind you I explained every reason why I felt this to Apple as itunes feedback. Basically in short "you can not go to your music list to listen to music to help you choose the 10 songs for your ping profile while creating a ping profile". Pretty silly I think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
And if the Apple TV isn't running iOS, then what is it running?

ATV has been running a modified version of OSX. The new one is open to speculation so it may or may not be an iOS variant.

Wait until it's out "in the wild" for a bit. Someone will figure it out for certain. Until then, it's all just a guess.

Reaction score
I already said my thoughts on the whole keynote and the products released in the "
September 1 Event Stream" topic.

And I must say creating a ping profile was a complete pain in the butt for me. Mind you I explained every reason why I felt this to Apple as itunes feedback. Basically in short "you can not go to your music list to listen to music to help you choose the 10 songs for your ping profile while creating a ping profile". Pretty silly I think.

All it took was five minutes for me to set it up. I mean, there's only a few artists that are using it right now (a couple of my favs are on there), and my friends know absolutely nothing about iTunes :| or what was introduced yesterday. So I wrote an article about everything. Now my friends get it.

But I do agree- the music thing during sign up needs work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro

I also found the process of choosing your 10 songs/artists to be really dumb and annoying. It needs some serious polishing. Also search features/functions could be improved. A sortable list of available artists would be sooooo useful! I found it tedious and tiresome repeatedly typing artists names with no results. Just show me who IS available!

Reaction score
With ping, can you create multiple accounts from one mac account or not?

The new apple tv looks quite cool, not sure if I'll ever get one or not. I am a little disappointed with the ipod nano and shuffles though. Not much new with the shuffle, though only $50 is pretty good. The multi-touch screen on the nano is cool, but it's small and no longer has a video camera or can play video, so I'll definitely be sticking with my 5th generation. Of course that's the point of the ipod touch and the nano is now just something different and much smaller.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DP 867MHz MDD, 660GB HD Space, 1.5GB RAM, Radeon 9000 PRO, Superdrive
Anyone notice that they didn't update the iPod Classic despite the fact that on the keynote presentation Jobs said ALL iPods were being updated. It's still for sale, forget how to count Jobs? I could use 250GB or so to fit all of those fancy movies I bought from your app store...Guess I'm waiting until next year, although they may decide to discontinue it if they no longer consider it an iPod anymore :(

Reaction score
LOL! That's very amusing. Ok ok, I'll have to grant you the one on the iPod nano (see below), but not the ATV. Look… Front Row is not an OS. I don't believe Apple ever actually acknowledged it, but the old Apple TV runs on Mac OS 10.4. Tiger. Yes… Tiger. Apple hid a lot of the booting process and made it jump straight into Front Row, but running 10.4 most certainly is what it does. The new Apple TV most certainly isn't running 10.4 (or 10.5 or 10.6). Not with that hardware. It's gotta be running iOS, booting straight into Front Row. I would certainly expect them to release an SDK for the new ATV that takes into account the fact that the ATV does not have a touch screen UI, but bottom line… it's gotta be running iOS. Apple won't say if it is or isn't, but Macworld sees it my way too.
Apple TV: What you need to know | Networked Players | Playlist | Macworld

Apple: Touchscreen iPod Nano Does Not Run iOS | Cult of Mac

Interesting! I didn't know that the old apple tv ran tiger! Learn something new every day.

Reaction score
With ping, can you create multiple accounts from one mac account or not?

All you have to do is sign in with your Apple ID on another computer and you'll still have access to your Ping.

The new apple tv looks quite cool, not sure if I'll ever get one or not. I am a little disappointed with the ipod nano and shuffles though. Not much new with the shuffle, though only $50 is pretty good. The multi-touch screen on the nano is cool, but it's small and no longer has a video camera or can play video, so I'll definitely be sticking with my 5th generation. Of course that's the point of the ipod touch and the nano is now just something different and much smaller.

The Shuffle is meant to be a frills-no-thrills iPod. It is for those that don't want the complexity of other things in the mix, like photos, videos, apps etc. I've played around with a Shuffle before, and I'll tell you, I much prefer seeing what I'm listening to. But I think Apple's Voice Over is a Job-send.

As for the nano...:Oops: That is a TINY screen…and no accelerometer. It is unique in its own way however..I don't see anything on the market coming close to this. Most nano users balked at the video camera…me owning a third-gen nano though..I loved having the ability to play video from my first iPod- a 30GB video, black. Wasn't quite into the fourth-gen nano and thus got my iPod touch. The bigger screen (and the App Store and email and Safari) were big deal makers for me. Now I want the new one :D

Reaction score
Anyone notice that they didn't update the iPod Classic despite the fact that on the keynote presentation Jobs said ALL iPods were being updated. It's still for sale, forget how to count Jobs? I could use 250GB or so to fit all of those fancy movies I bought from your app store...Guess I'm waiting until next year, although they may decide to discontinue it if they no longer consider it an iPod anymore :(

The iPod Classic is for consumers who don't want a touchscreen, or no screen at all. Simple. And besides, you can (but I don't recommend) put in a larger 1.5 (?) hard drive in the device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DP 867MHz MDD, 660GB HD Space, 1.5GB RAM, Radeon 9000 PRO, Superdrive
The iPod Classic is for consumers who don't want a touchscreen, or no screen at all. Simple. And besides, you can (but I don't recommend) put in a larger 1.5 (?) hard drive in the device.

Well I love the iPod touch but they only have a 64GB version and that's an additional $150. Once they cone out with a 256GB touch then you can say that's the point of the classic, but I prefer having my movie library with me. I agree the screen is too small to comfortably watch movies but it's the best choice. If you don't want a screen or features I think the shuffle is a good choice.
Remember the classic was created for those who wanted their entire library in their pockets.

Reaction score
Remember the classic was created for those who wanted their entire library in their pockets.

That's a no-brainer my friend. ;D

That was my point- put in a large capacity HDD in the iPod DIY. They do make them..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a no-brainer my friend. ;D

That was my point- put in a large capacity HDD in the iPod DIY. They do make them..

Ah, but that's where the problem lies. I would have to first buy the ipod classic, meaning I wouldn't have the cash left to buy an additional hard drive. Plus I'm not too keen on voiding my warranty. I just hope the price of flash storage gets driven down soon so we can at least have a 128GB Touch. That would be nice. Can you imagine 50 hd movies, 2,000 or so songs, and a bunch of apps on that retina display? That would be amazing :D

I do believe the classic holds a 1.8 inch hd, a bit hard to come by. Check out the retail price for one, The first result is a 250GB one: http://www.google.com/products?q=1....i=t1aATMjzH6aEygWV2enwDg&sa=X&ved=0CGMQhggoAA

I understand it may be more expensive but I wouldn't mind a slight price increase for that, wholesale its probably a lot cheaper. Looking at that price, I may as well buy two ipod classics and I would have more storage space for the same price.

Reaction score
Ah, but that's where the problem lies. I would have to first buy the ipod classic, meaning I wouldn't have the cash left to buy an additional hard drive. Plus I'm not too keen on voiding my warranty. I just hope the price of flash storage gets driven down soon so we can at least have a 128GB Touch. That would be nice. Can you imagine 50 hd movies, 2,000 or so songs, and a bunch of apps on that retina display? That would be amazing :D

I do believe the classic holds a 1.8 inch hd, a bit hard to come by. Check out the retail price for one, The first result is a 250GB one: 1.8 inch internal hard drive - Google Product Search

I understand it may be more expensive but I wouldn't mind a slight price increase for that, wholesale its probably a lot cheaper. Looking at that price, I may as well buy two ipod classics and I would have more storage space for the same price.

Well..I don't see anything higher than 64GB FS coming to any iPod, anytime soon. At least not for a year or two (one can only hope).

For me and my 177 apps, 1163 songs, 1116 photos, 3 Podcast videos and the remaining junk, I still have about, +/- 7 gigs of space left on my iPod touch.

Of course, you probably have a gigantic library of music and videos. I used to store a lot of podcasts on my iPod touch- and then I figured it isn't worth storing all my podcasts on my iPod touch- mainly because I can watch YouTube videos, or use a computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Of course, you probably have a gigantic library of music and videos. I used to store a lot of podcasts on my iPod touch- and then I figured it isn't worth storing all my podcasts on my iPod touch- mainly because I can watch YouTube videos, or use a computer.

Look at my sig line. That is actually about 30,000 songs less than I actually have, not to mention my 800+ movies and 3500+ TV Episodes. Even the classic doesn't cut it but it at least allows me to carry lots of video with me to watch while flying or sitting in a hotel room...

The iPod Classic is for consumers who don't want a touchscreen,

BZZZZT! WRONG! I'd love a touchscreen on my classic. Fact is, it ain't gonna happen with that size drive anytime soon.

Reaction score
All you have to do is sign in with your Apple ID on another computer and you'll still have access to your Ping.

I mean is it possible to have different ping accounts on different computers? For example, my brother and I have same itunes account even though I'm living in a different country right now, since we used to share some stuff on itunes. I guess I should just make a new itunes account anyways though.

As for the nano and shuffle, I definitely agree with you. There is nothing else out there like the new 6th generation, though I think the video camera on the 5th makes it worth it since it is still quite small.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
ATV has been running a modified version of OSX. The new one is open to speculation so it may or may not be an iOS variant.

Wait until it's out "in the wild" for a bit. Someone will figure it out for certain. Until then, it's all just a guess.

I know the old ATV runs Tiger… that's on standard PC hardware. The new ATV runs the same mobile hardware as the iPhone/iPad, which don't run Tiger. If only Apple had a mobile OS that runs on that mobile hardware… :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Look at my sig line. That is actually about 30,000 songs less than I actually have, not to mention my 800+ movies and 3500+ TV Episodes. Even the classic doesn't cut it but it at least allows me to carry lots of video with me to watch while flying or sitting in a hotel room...

Sure choice is a wonderful thing. But watching/listening to all of that material in one go? Hmmm I'd assume that's months if not years of play time there. No one seriously can experience all of that content on one plane trip or one holiday, no matter how long it is.

I can understand why the classic exists. And it does have it's fans. But to me it's more of a media storage device then a media playback device. And most people with a classic also bring their notebook computers with them too so experiencing the content is not really an issue.

I think Apple really need to re-think the whole classic ipod concept.

Reaction score
BZZZZT! WRONG! I'd love a touchscreen on my classic. Fact is, it ain't gonna happen with that size drive anytime soon.

Then tell me why the iPod Classic exists, besides the fact that it has the largest storage capacity of any other iPod. Hmm?

The Classic is simple. Clickwheel+2.5" screen= classic iPod. A touchscreen would only mar its image as the only "original" iPod left- something that some consumers still want…

Now as for where the iPod classic is headed…Apple needs to brainstorm that one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.