Need help with Macbook Pro Early-2015 (Software Update)

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I hope this is the right place to post this, but by now I'm beyond lost with this problem.

So here is the deal:

I am running El Capitan 10.11.6 and there are no available updates when I check.
Now, I want to upgrade to a newer version, such as Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave or Catalina.
Because some applications require a newer version to run, I almost have to.
When I download any of the above named versions from the App Store and try to update,
I get an error saying "You may not install to this volume because your computer is missing a firmware partition"

I have seriously tried everything to get rid of this message, but nothing works.
Can someone please help me resolve this issue ?

Thank you in advance,
Dominic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You might try making a full backup, test the backup to make sure it's good, then download the version you want and then get DiskmakerX for that version and create a bootable USB thumb drive installer. Boot from that USB installer, then when you get the opportunity, erase and format the internal drive, then install the OS on it. Once done, boot from the new system and when asked, take the opportunity to use Migration Assistant to restore from the backup. When that is done, you should have a working system that has the same account you use now and all of your documents were they were, plus all of the applications as well. You may need to re-register some (Adobe, Microsoft products) to get them to work, but it should work. It's a long process so be prepared to spend at least one full day on this.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums Dominic:

Your MacBook Pro can install the latest version of macOS which currently is Big Sur 11.0. However, you need to consider which apps you have and use. From macOS version 10.15.0 on (Catalina) 32 bit apps will no longer run.

Also from macOS 10.14.0 on (Mojave) the internal drive in your MacBook Pro will be reformatted to APFS. That won't be a problem for you since your MacBook Pro is equipped with a SSD.

The error you're receiving is confusing. Are you sure it says what it says? I have no idea what a "firmware partition" is.

The advice from Jake (above) about erasing and formatting is very likely what you should do. Remember though, installing any version of macOS from Mojave on requires that the drive be formatted to APFS.

As you can see, when we fall behind Apple updates it creates a multitude of problems. Always try to keep up to date. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
One thing that could be an issue is that sometimes firmware gets updated when you update to a new OS. So if the OP is on El Capitan and had updating to Sierra then High Sierra then Mojave and finally Catalina that would have allowed for any firmware updates to be installed. This can still be done if that is what is causing the error message. Just a thought.

Lisa

krs

Reaction score
One thing that could be an issue is that sometimes firmware gets updated when you update to a new OS.
Yes Lisa, that was the first thing that came to mind when I read Dominic's post.
When I upgraded from ElCapitan to Mojave, I'm sure that OS upgrade included a firmware update that was installed automatically first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I get an error saying "You may not install to this volume because your computer is missing a firmware partition"
The OP hasn't returned to clarify what that means. It could be that his machine needs a firmware update, or that the drive is missing a Recovery Partition, or just about anything. We really don't know what the issue really is.

OP
D
Reaction score
I have no idea what it is missing really... I just can't get to update my system to any other version at all I always get this error. Nothing works. I find nothing on google so I am trying to ask here.

EDIT: I have erased the drive and completely freshly tried to install Big Sur on it, same error.
Trying with Sierra now...

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You say you erased the drive. I'm assuming you did that from the Recovery partition? Did you try to reformat the drive or did you just go to the installation of Big Sur?

If you continue to get that error even after formatting, it may be caused by a failing or defective SSD in your MacBook Pro.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is a link in this thread to check if any required FW updates are installed.

That particular discussion ended with the user not being able to download the firmware update because it was not applicable to his machine. Catch 22?

Firmware downloads are usually provided through automatic updates. I have installed several over the years and it was always thru the update system and because Apple notified me that it was needed for my machine.

Never attempt a firmware update or force one if it does not apply to your machine. The result could be a dead Mac.

I'm not sure what's going on with the OP's machine being that the installer "thinks" that a firmware update is necessary. But I'm betting if he looks for a firmware update for his machine, Apple will say that there is none.

And then we now have Catch 22.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In addition to what chscag said, the OP is also taking a huge step from 10.11 to 11.0 or if he stops at Catalina, 10.15. There were probably multiple firmware updates along the way, to go with the OS updates. Maybe going one at a time would be the way to get the firmware sorted out?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem he's running into is that the Mac App Store will only allow him to download Big Sur, not any other version of macOS. He needs to contact Apple Support to see if there is another way he can obtain a lesser version. That might solve the firmware issue.

However, trying to contact Apple Support right now is not easy and I'm not certain they will assist him since he no longer has a warranty. (Applecare)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
After my disastrous experience with Big Sur yesterday and having the same device as the OP I would definitely advise going no further than Mojave, at least for now.
Problem is he has already erased the device so now he cannot follow Jake's advice to create a bootable installer.
Maybe Internet Recovery to reinstall the original macOS would include the firmware?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
d'oh!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem he's running into is that the Mac App Store will only allow him to download Big Sur, not any other version of macOS. He needs to contact Apple Support to see if there is another way he can obtain a lesser version. That might solve the firmware issue.

However, trying to contact Apple Support right now is not easy and I'm not certain they will assist him since he no longer has a warranty. (Applecare)
Charlie, do the links in this Apple article work for him?

krs

Reaction score

Well, I'm not Charlie, but I wanted an up-to-date Mojave USB installer so I tried the links in that Apple article.

Got exactly the same reply as always before - "This item isn't available in the US store" or words to that effect.

So I thought that maybe my log in from Canada is the problem - fired up VPN and moved my IP to the US.
Same problem.
Decided I can spare 5 minutes to try googling and guess what........
I could hardly believe it - the problem has nothing to do with me being in Canada, my Mac already running Mojave or Apple restricting anything - the problem is Firefox!
Suggestion when googling for the issue was to not use Firefox, but to use Safari or Chrome instead.
I tried using Chrome and Mojave downloaded just fine on my Mini already running Mojave
Then tried downloading High Sierra but got a message that the macOS was too old for my Mac - OK, I can understand that - not a problem. I basically just wanted to see if the High Sierra download would provide the whole download or just the stub.

PS: I didn't actually try to install Mojave since I'm on Mojave already, but the downloadwas 6.05GB, same as when I installed Mojave initially so I don't see any reason to believe that this is not the full installer including any FW updates that may be required.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Like "krs", they worked fine for me using Chrome. I have no desire to download any of those but the links definitely took me to the Mac App Store download page.

If he's still reading this thread, he should try.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well, I'm not Charlie, but I wanted an up-to-date Mojave USB installer so I tried the links in that Apple article.

Got exactly the same reply as always before - "This item isn't available in the US store" or words to that effect.

So I thought that maybe my log in from Canada is the problem - fired up VPN and moved my IP to the US.
Same problem.
Decided I can spare 5 minutes to try googling and guess what........
I could hardly believe it - the problem has nothing to do with me being in Canada, my Mac already running Mojave or Apple restricting anything - the problem is Firefox!
Suggestion when googling for the issue was to not use Firefox, but to use Safari or Chrome instead.
I tried using Chrome and Mojave downloaded just fine on my Mini already running Mojave
Then tried downloading High Sierra but got a message that the macOS was too old for my Mac - OK, I can understand that - not a problem. I basically just wanted to see if the High Sierra download would provide the whole download or just the stub.

PS: I didn't actually try to install Mojave since I'm on Mojave already, but the downloadwas 6.05GB, same as when I installed Mojave initially so I don't see any reason to believe that this is not the full installer including any FW updates that may be required.
Worked for me in Australia using Brave Browser in fact I'm downloading the Catalina installer to update my bootable thumb drive installer of Mojave. I am surprised Firefox was the problem though, well done working that out. I assume Firefox is your default?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.