my MBA cannot obtain high speed internet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP | iPhone 13 Pro Max | 45mm Watch | iPad Pro 12.9 | iPad Pro 11
I hope this isn't a stupid question.....I have a late 2010 13" Macbook Air. For the longest I've been on 30mbps internet, and was offered a deal on 60mbps. Well, maybe i'm not in the know, but is something supposed to be done for me to see the new speed? I dont have ethernet ports of course, but I've never had problems getting high speeds where I go.

Is my macbook not capable?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
After the speed upgrade, have you tested your connection to see what your actual speeds are? Speed Test Net

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The speed test is a good idea. Under normal circumstances it may be difficult to tell if you have a faster connection. If speed test shows you are receiving 60 mbps you still may not see a dramatic change in browser speed. How much RAM do you have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I hope this isn't a stupid question.....I have a late 2010 13" Macbook Air. For the longest I've been on 30mbps internet, and was offered a deal on 60mbps. Well, maybe i'm not in the know, but is something supposed to be done for me to see the new speed? I dont have ethernet ports of course, but I've never had problems getting high speeds where I go.

Well, 30 Mbps is not bad - I'm only getting about 20 Mbps w/ Time-Warner and serves most of my purposes including streaming movies, so let us know your needs to go to twice that speed and also the results of the speed test linked in the previous post. Dave :)

OP
pcdebb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The speed test is how I know i'm not getting 60mbps. I've tested at speedtest.net and at speedtest.bhn.net

Yes, 30mb is not bad, but if I'm going to be paying for 60mb (at a discount even), I still want what is advertised. I know i'm not guaranteed the full 60, but i dont still want to see 30 if it's supposed to be double.

3823629450.png

C

chas_m

What version of 802.11 are you using? How old is that router? These things could make a difference.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Apart from your router which is a valid point. You may have to set up a new network connection. Try using Network Utility to set up a new network connection in Network preferences. Use the Assist Me button and give the new network a new name just in case you decide to go back to the old one.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The speed test is how I know i'm not getting 60mbps. I've tested at speedtest.net and at speedtest.bhn.net

It looks like your connection speed hasn't changed. It won't matter making adjustments, nothing is going to boost that to 60 Mb/s from 30 without your ISP increasing your bandwidth. You need to call your ISP and complain, but first ascertain when you're supposed to get the new connection speed.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ha, thought they would have done that as part of the offer. What's the point of the offer if they don't. Oh, profit.

OP
pcdebb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What version of 802.11 are you using? How old is that router? These things could make a difference.

This I do not know. I havent been into my router settings in a while.
I guess it's "N" you are wanting to know? sorry i'm feeling blonde right now lol

Last edited:
OP
pcdebb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It looks like your connection speed hasn't changed. It won't matter making adjustments, nothing is going to boost that to 60 Mb/s from 30 without your ISP increasing your bandwidth. You need to call your ISP and complain, but first ascertain when you're supposed to get the new connection speed.

I've called twice, and they swear Ive been switched. i'm on a free trial for 30 days. I'm probably just going to cancel since i'm not seeing it anyway. The reason i started this thread is because they told me to plug my MBA into the router/modem directly to get the speeds, which is ludacris to me. It's a laptop, i'm supposed to be mobile and wireless and never had problems. He made it sound like I had a powerbook or something from the 80s. when i told him i dont have an ethernet port, he told me "all macbooks have ethernet, how old is this thing?"

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You can get an Ethernet Dongle from Apple that plugs into a USB port on the Air. I do agree though that with N you should see more than 30Mbps if they truly upped you to 60.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This I do not know. I havent been into my router settings in a while.
I guess it's "N" you are wanting to know? sorry i'm feeling blonde right now lol

Regarding the 802.11 protocol (options a/b/g/n/ac), go to the Apple -> About This Mac -> More Information -> System Report; click on the Wi-Fi (see pic attached - your networks will be present - my Airport Extreme router is dual band and creates 4 networks) - my protocol being used is 802.11n - what does yours state?

Also let us know 'how far' from your router you are when running the 'Speed Test' - if not already done, what speed do you obtain right next to the router; distance, intervening walls, and other sources of interference can be an issue.

In addition, have you 'power recycled' the modem/router, i.e. pull the power - wait - and power up again (modem first, router second) - retest your speed? Also, provide the brand/model of your router - has there been a recent firmware upgrade? Finally, how many 'close' neighbors do you have who may be using the same ISP service? My speeds always drop in the early evenings as more come home from work and start using the internet. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-10-12 at 9.44.22 AM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've called twice, and they swear Ive been switched. i'm on a free trial for 30 days. I'm probably just going to cancel since i'm not seeing it anyway. The reason i started this thread is because they told me to plug my MBA into the router/modem directly to get the speeds, which is ludacris to me. It's a laptop, i'm supposed to be mobile and wireless and never had problems. He made it sound like I had a powerbook or something from the 80s. when i told him i dont have an ethernet port, he told me "all macbooks have ethernet, how old is this thing?"

All typical responses from an ISP who is not "Mac educated". I have the same problem here on occasion with Verizon (my ISP) when I get someone on the phone who only knows Windows. There is just no way if they have increased your speed and bandwidth to 60 mB/s that you would still only be getting 30. And since you're on a free trial for 30 days, if they don't come through, just tell them you're going with another ISP. Maybe they'll be more accommodating then.

OP
pcdebb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RadDave, it says 802.11n. I've powercycled everything ad nauseum. I've even tested my phone on wifi, my iPod and my iPad mini. There are alot of other users around me (I see 10 other routers), but I never see a degradation of service. I know they are lying to me.

chscag, I wish I could threaten with another ISP, but they know they own the whole area. Where I live in an apartment, FIOS isnt available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Your getting 30Mb/s! And you could get 60Mb/s! I am green with envy. I have DSL, no cable option in the foreseeable future. I get a whopping 1.7Mb/s

I agree, if it doesn't change drop after the free trial. It could be there are a lot of others on your line which will reduce the speed. What did you have before the upgrade in speed and what were you supposed to be getting? For example if you were getting before 30Mb/s but your actual was say 15Mb/s that could indicate a large load on your line.

Lisa

OP
pcdebb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been on 30, and always got 30. It's been pretty consistent and reliable. But to tell me I've been upgraded and see no change is bothering me.

I remember the DSL days. I had 1.5mb and thought that was the absolute greatest thing!! lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RadDave, it says 802.11n. I've powercycled everything ad nauseum. I've even tested my phone on wifi, my iPod and my iPad mini. There are alot of other users around me (I see 10 other routers), but I never see a degradation of service. I know they are lying to me..........

OK - well from the chart added below, you should be able to easily obtain the required DL speed w/ 802.11n - please look at my other questions and respond (i.e. closeness to the router) - not sure what else to add except to resolve the issue w/ your ISP - but, do you really need 60 Mbps? Dave :)

WiFiTable.jpg

OP
pcdebb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i'm typically sitting in my living room, and I can take maybe two or three steps to the router. I tried calling them today, and they passed me around for half an hour. I had to leave, I'm about to get comfy and call again with an attitude. I know it's not on my end. Earlier when they supposedly sent a signal after rebooting my modem, my speed went down to like 20.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is surprising what threatening to change providers can achieve sometimes. I recently rang my bank about the service charges on a little used account. When I threatened to close the account an switch to another bank they suddenly found they could waive the charges in this case.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.