my MBA cannot obtain high speed internet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , iPad , MBP, iPod
I wish I had your speed. I only get 3 mps on a good day were I live in Australia.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,1, 8-core Xeon
Depending on the day, you speeds will drop. Try testing late at night, when everyone is not on. You get a more accurate reading.

Also, wi-fi will never get as fast as being hardwired. However, if your suppose to be getting 60Mbps, and only getting 30, then it's beyond a wifi issue. ie. My Mac (hardwired to my router, hits 27-30Mbps (I subscribe to 30Mbps), which is within normal parameters. But my iPhone only hits about 20-22Mbps. These are tested off peak hours.

There is also the question of your modem. If it's older and doesn't support higher speeds, that could explain. Or it's defective. If your renting the high speed modem, have them replace it with a newer one. If you've already contacted them about the issue, with no resolution, have them send over a tech guy to troubleshoot. Could be an issue with cable components outside your house.

And I agree, 30Mpbs isn't bad by global standards. But if your going to be paying for 60Mbps (discounted or not), you should be getting closer to that speed.

Note: Just saw a later thread that you resolved this. So it was the modem then. Glad you got it worked out. Nice speeds.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , iPad , MBP, iPod
Hi erics72 3 mbps is the top speed i can get and that is what i pay for. People who are lucky enough and have cable get about 20-25 mbps here in the Melbourne area. We use 45 year old copper phone lines as our Internet connection. Our Government just does not want to spend the money for any of the Carbon fibre cable system the previous government had started with, then they were voted out. But that is another sad story.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,1, 8-core Xeon
I wish I had your speed. I only get 3 mps on a good day were I live in Australia.

Dang! That's just a little faster than the old dial-up modem days. Checking speeds outside of North America, I notice it's average is about 15Mbps. But upload is in the range of 8-10Mbps. North America average download is 20Mbps, but upload is about 2-5Mbps.

There are parts of US and Canada, that don't have the hardware for high speed. So they are in the same boat as you. But these are very rural areas of North America. You right, companies don't want to spend money on infrastructure for high speed lines, in small populated areas. Too cheap. They would rather rape...I mean rip off the more dense populations. Buy charging crazy amounts, for over loaded lines. You pay for 20-30Mbps, but only get 10-15Mbps on peak times, if your lucky. Mind you not all companies are like that. The smaller ones, are reasonably priced, and really good service. Because they aren't as greedy as the big corporations, who like to stack their customers and overload nodes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.