Moving photos from iMac to iPhone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro (2017)
Hi, I would like to transfer photos from my iMac Pro (Latest OS) to my iPhone 8 Plus (latest OS) without using iCloud. I tried many different things and nothing works. I can get photos off my iPhone easily but adding photos is a problem. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Have you tried to Sync the photos, using Finder? Also, in Photos, with the iPhone connected with USB, you should be able to copy them. Do you have iCloud Photos enabled in Settings > Apple ID > iCloud > Photos?

Edit: For the iCloud Photos, this is on your iPhone, not your iMac Pro.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
MagicMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro (2017)
Holy cow! Okay, now I am a little upset. 1st, I quoted the 1st person with a lengthy reply and decided to quote the 2nd member and the 1st quote and reply was cleared. Okay, not a big deal, I will just make a new post with a quote of the 1st member and retype my 1st reply. However, when I tried to post a quote and reply for the 2nd member well, nothing. So, I am not posting all this stuff again, forget it.

Thanks anyway. Are there site issues at this time?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks anyway. Are there site issues at this time?

No, not that we are aware of. Did you see a remark at the bottom of the reply dialog that stated: "restore......."

By selecting the restore option your reply will be reinstated.

OP
MagicMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro (2017)
No, not that we are aware of. Did you see a remark at the bottom of the reply dialog that stated: "restore......."

By selecting the restore option your reply will be reinstated.

No, not at all. However, I may have missed it. In truth, I never looked for anything like that.

OP
MagicMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro (2017)
Have you tried to Sync the photos, using Finder? Also, in Photos, with the iPhone connected with USB, you should be able to copy them. Do you have iCloud Photos enabled in Settings > Apple ID > iCloud > Photos?

Edit: For the iCloud Photos, this is on your iPhone, not your iMac Pro.

Okay, I see now about quoting. Problem fixed. :)

Anyway, I do not want to sys anything. All I want to do is move a few photos from iMac to my iPhone. As for 2nd part of your reply, yes, that is exactly what I want to do but it refuses to work. (reply made short just in case my reply get cleared) :)

Lots of suggestions here, some with illustrations and/or videos:
Moving photos from iMac to iPhone
Moving photos from iMac to iPhone - Google Search

Modify the Google Search Phrase to avoid iCloud syncing if needed.

- Patrick
======

I will check this out, I haven't read it yet. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I use iCloud photos, but I think if you attach the iPhone to the Mac, then look for the iPhone in the sidebar of Finder, there is a tab labelled "Photos" where I think you can put and take photos from the Mac to the iPhone and vice-versa. As I said, I use iCloud, so that function is disabled for me.

OP
MagicMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro (2017)
I use iCloud photos, but I think if you attach the iPhone to the Mac, then look for the iPhone in the sidebar of Finder, there is a tab labelled "Photos" where I think you can put and take photos from the Mac to the iPhone and vice-versa. As I said, I use iCloud, so that function is disabled for me.

Thats the problem, I can't do that. :( That is exactly what I am trying to do. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats the problem, I can't do that. :( That is exactly what I am trying to do. :)
Can't do what? Your posts have not added much information beyond, "It won't work," so it's hard to diagnose. What, exactly, are you doing and what, exactly, is the result? Any messages? Any actions? Are you using Photos on the Mac? How many images do you want to move? If just a couple, as you seemed to say in one post, just email them to yourself and when the mail shows up on the iPhone, add the attachments to Photos. If a lot, use sync.

Remember, we cannot SEE your system, so you have to describe to us in detail what you are doing and seeing.

OP
MagicMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro (2017)
Can't do what? Your posts have not added much information beyond, "It won't work," so it's hard to diagnose. What, exactly, are you doing and what, exactly, is the result? Any messages? Any actions? Are you using Photos on the Mac? How many images do you want to move? If just a couple, as you seemed to say in one post, just email them to yourself and when the mail shows up on the iPhone, add the attachments to Photos. If a lot, use sync.

Remember, we cannot SEE your system, so you have to describe to us in detail what you are doing and seeing.

You know what? You're right. I don't explain anything well. The sad part is I can do circles around most people. How? Because I try many many things to find a solution. By the time I post here, I am frustrated and pissed off that I haven't found a solution and let patience with posting get the best of me. But, most of the time I find a solution. In this case, I haven't found one. That, well, irritates me.

The members here may find I am a bit different, But unique at the same time. I have many talents, elaboration is not one of them. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, I would like to transfer photos from my iMac Pro (Latest OS) to my iPhone 8 Plus (latest OS) without using iCloud.

I may be mistaken, but is that not something that iMazing.app can do???
iMazing | iPhone, iPad & iPod Manager for Mac & PC

Transfer iPhone Photos & Videos to your Computer | iMazing

Easy access to your photos
Export your pictures and videos, without iCloud or iTunes. Save your favourite moments on your Mac or PC.

Just go the other way.

- Patrick
======

OP
MagicMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro (2017)
What I forgot to post is that well, that is the best I can explain it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

OP
MagicMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro (2017)
I may be mistaken, but is that not something that iMazing.app can do???
iMazing | iPhone, iPad & iPod Manager for Mac & PC

Transfer iPhone Photos & Videos to your Computer | iMazing

Just go the other way.

- Patrick
======

This is good but so there is no way to add photos from iMac to iPhone using only Apple software?

This is not good. Because I know there is no way to do it with out having to add photos to iCloud or any other kind of cloud service or software. This, should be free and secure, which it's not. So, there you have it. No way to do it.

There, I already knew what could't be done. But, if you find a way, prove me wrong. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This, should be free and secure, which it's not.
What makes you say that? iCloud, for small numbers of files, should work. Apple provides 5GB of free iCloud storage, which should allow a sync of Photos between iPhone and Mac. And if you need more, iCloud is fairly inexpensive. As for secure, iCloud is one of the more secure systems, using 2FA to gain access. So, for small needs, it is free and secure. For larger needs, it's inexpensive and secure.

And did Finder not work? If it didn't, what did you do and what did it do? You still haven't told us what you have tried and what happened. We're in a bit of the same position as a doctor to whom you only say "It hurts," without saying what "it" is nor what you mean by "hurts." Can't do much with nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is good but so there is no way to add photos from iMac to iPhone using only Apple software?

Really???

How about this???:
Part 1: Transfer photos from Mac to iPhone with iTunes
4 Ways to Transfer Photos from Mac to iPhone with/without iTunes- dr.fone

Seems like default Mac OSX Apple software ca do what you want to do unless I have misunderstood something.

Maybe check out the site and maybe the method will work for you.

- Patrick
======

OP
MagicMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro (2017)
What makes you say that? iCloud, for small numbers of files, should work. Apple provides 5GB of free iCloud storage, which should allow a sync of Photos between iPhone and Mac. And if you need more, iCloud is fairly inexpensive. As for secure, iCloud is one of the more secure systems, using 2FA to gain access. So, for small needs, it is free and secure. For larger needs, it's inexpensive and secure.

And did Finder not work? If it didn't, what did you do and what did it do? You still haven't told us what you have tried and what happened. We're in a bit of the same position as a doctor to whom you only say "It hurts," without saying what "it" is nor what you mean by "hurts." Can't do much with nothing.

I understand what you are getting at, I really do. :)

5GB of space and pay for more? I like Apple I really do which is why I spent thousands of dollars and feel I should be able to move my photos from my iMac to my iPhone without having to pay for iCloud service or 3rd party software services to do so, period.

As for the rest, already tried it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
MagicMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro (2017)
Really???

How about this???:
Part 1: Transfer photos from Mac to iPhone with iTunes
4 Ways to Transfer Photos from Mac to iPhone with/without iTunes- dr.fone

Seems like default Mac OSX Apple software ca do what you want to do unless I have misunderstood something.

Maybe check out the site and maybe the method will work for you.

- Patrick
======

Hey! You're ruining it for me. :) Give me some time to look threw your links. Although I like to think of myself as smart, I am slow at reading links. lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If you go into Photos on your Mac, do you have the option to add the photos you want to share to "My Photo Stream"? Depends on the quality and quantity, it may take some time to sync between devices, so maybe just try one at first, to see when/if it shows up?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.