More than a bug

Reaction score
more than a bug...has been squashed?

I've been using Virus Scanner Plus by Bitware that some have recommended. I had no real issues with it until Yosemite. As was suggested by MacInWin, there might be issues with my system vs Yosemite. So, I disabled Bitware and Trafficlight for Safari as a test and so far very thing seems to be working just fine.
I suggest that if you have similar 3rd party apps to check them one at a time, by disabling and restart. May help. Good luck

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
I took the computer back to the Apple store today. After politely but firmly voicing my displeasure at the fact that they feel the warranty had expired based on PURCHASE date , not the date I took ownership, they finally acquiesced and agreed to repair my machine as a warranty repair and NOT charge me the $380 repair, but only after admonishing me for being stupid and not purchasing Apple Care. Everything is being done as a refurb and I'm getting 90 day warranty.

They are also installing Mavericks rather than Yosemite. At least I'll know it's a clean install.

keeping my fingers crossed

ken

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'll take an admonishment any day if it will save me $380! Great news, keep us posted. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Okay. Glad to see you're up and working and that you have added your MBP's specs to your profile. Now you might think about getting an external hard drive and installing Carbon Copy Cloner, which I have now installed but wish I had had before I installed Yosemite.

Can somebody tell me if you only need to update CCC before an upgrade if you already have Time Machine backups?

M

MacInWin

CCC and TM are two independent backup systems. In that context, I don't understand your question. If you have TM, and are content with it, you don't need to have or update CCC. However, if you want to use CCC with Yosemite, you will need to update to the newest version, whether you use TM or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CCC and TM are two independent backup systems. In that context, I don't understand your question. If you have TM, and are content with it, you don't need to have or update CCC. However, if you want to use CCC with Yosemite, you will need to update to the newest version, whether you use TM or not.

You imply that you don't need both. I have been advised on this Forum, that TM doesn't restore your OS (see also chscag here: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/316873-downgrade-yosemite-snow-leopard.html). I only have original disks for Snow Leopard. As I understand it, if my hard drive crashed TM wouldn't restore my Upgraded OS.

I have CCC4 which works with Yosemite. So, my question is, if TM is already updating all my folders, do I need to update CCC backups. I think that the answer is that that is only necessary before an update and, if the update is successful, after it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So glad it worked out for you! I had a similar experience.

I spent weeks trying to upgrade Lion to Mavericks last year on a 2010 MacBook I inherited from the kids when they thought it was dying. Kept failing to install Mavericks. Tried multiple ways to do the install, including clean install. Kids had lost the original install disk. Used CCC prior so I could easily get back to the Lion setup each time. Replaced the hard drive: no difference. Finally prebooked time at an Apple Store on a business trip (we live many hours away). The genius ran a software check of the hardware then simply flashed on Mavericks. I went back to the hotel and reinstalled my apps. Worked fine, and then I easily upgraded that laptop to Yosemite on release day 3 over our home network. Laptop is like new.

Lessons I learned: do Time Machine backups but also maintain bootable clones using CCC or SD. (I also do manual backups so have 3 external hard drives, and I subscribe to a cloud backup service). Take it to an Apple Store when stuck: their customer service is great.

The redundant backup lesson got hammered home when I upgraded my mid 2011 iMac to Yosemite. The upgrade (not clean install) went fine and everything worked great, except I couldn't get Time Machine connected to my old Time Capsule, which had worked flawlessly for 3 years. I finally ditched the Time Capsule and bought a new WD external hard drive, and all is well. So glad I had not needed to rely on that TM backup!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Being Safe over being Sorry

Many years ago my Mac G-3 took a crap and I lost not all of my photos but most of them. From then on I decided not to trust just one external hard drive so I bought a second one. Once a month I would back up everything on to both externals. Then came my new iMac with Time Machine and I connected one of my externals to the new iMac. Since late 2009 it seems to be working having entered Time Machine to find old documents. However, I continued using the second external, connecting it to my iMac on the first of each month and using CCC's bootable to back up. I like being safe than sorry.

M

MacInWin

You imply that you don't need both. I have been advised on this Forum, that TM doesn't restore your OS (see also chscag here: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/316873-downgrade-yosemite-snow-leopard.html). I only have original disks for Snow Leopard. As I understand it, if my hard drive crashed TM wouldn't restore my Upgraded OS.

I have CCC4 which works with Yosemite. So, my question is, if TM is already updating all my folders, do I need to update CCC backups. I think that the answer is that that is only necessary before an update and, if the update is successful, after it.
TM does restore the OS, it just isn't bootable. Thats what we've been saying here, and what the post in your link says. TM *can* restore the OS, but you'll need to boot the machine with something else beforehand. The Snow Leopard disks may well be all you need in that case. CCC backups can be bootable if you do a full clone. So if you have a full CCC backup, you don't need the Snow Leopard disks, just boot from the backup and then restore. Either way, you can do a full restore from TM or CCC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The redundant backup lesson got hammered home when I upgraded my mid 2011 iMac to Yosemite. The upgrade (not clean install) went fine and everything worked great, except I couldn't get Time Machine connected to my old Time Capsule, which had worked flawlessly for 3 years. I finally ditched the Time Capsule and bought a new WD external hard drive, and all is well. So glad I had not needed to rely on that TM backup!

Time Capsule seems, in UK at any rate, an expensive option when you can buy perfectly good 1TB external drives much more cheaply and use them with TM.

Reaction score
Yes, I've had all the same problems with upgrading to Yosemite iMac. Am finally able to operate but just barely. Slowness, constant 'looking for keychain' issues, some crashing/lockups. A surprise a day! Time machine appears ok but afraid to attempt going back to Mavericks. Seem strange to me that these '...possible problems with your hard drive or backup drive..' comments I've read here and elsewhere only surfaced with this upgrade. For the moment I'm just watching the posts with interest hoping for fixes. Thanks.

M

MacInWin

Actually, almost every upgrade to the OS has generated tons of "it used to work" posts, most of which turn out to be either coincidental hardware failures, or third party software that doesn't work with the latest OS or some other issue not really related to the OS itself. For example, I have an older printer whose drivers have not been updated in five or so years. It survived the upgrade to Mavericks, but died on the update to Yosemite. The vendor has no intention of updating the driver as they have moved on to other printers, so I'm basically stuck. Fortunately, there is a driver for Win7 (Not Win8, for the same reason) so I use the printer under Parallels now. I *could* whine about it, but the fact is that technology moves on and if I want to be on the cutting edge, I have to live with the fact that sometimes the cutting edge cuts.

Reaction score
MacInWin/Jake; Thanks for the reply. I hear you. If I want to be on the cutting edge I need to keep the bandaids close at hand! Cheers, Lloyd

M

MacInWin

macLloyd, I used to be the manager of a large data center. When updates to the OS came for our 6 mainframes, 13 mid size and 20 servers, we would hold them for 6 months, to let the dust settle. By that time, the "fix" releases had come out and we knew what adventures we were going to face. And those same precautions should still be valid for any system that has a business dependent upon it. My wife's Mini is still Mavericks, and will remain that way until maybe February next year so that she doesn't have an "fun" with it during the Holiday shopping season and January returns season. I'm not in business, so my MBP gets right into the thick of it, but I do spend some crazy days and nights sorting it out. I wouldn't have jumped on Yosemite if I had known about the printer driver, but fortunately there was a workaround for it.(Confession: the printer is on my machine because I prefer to print the labels for her business in my home office instead of at her office. I just about panicked when I realized the printer driver was broken and unfixable...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac core i3 3.2Ghz, 12G Ram, 21.5", 10.9.5, HK sticks + iSub, iPad Mini,
Yosemite Saga &

Happy to read that you found some real help at the Apple Store & that all is well now! Especially that you have your precious photos & music! Many suggest keeping more than one back-up, and even putting most precious items on a drive & putting it in a Safe Deposit box! Another options is using one of the Cloud services, too.
In the future there are some basic things to keep your mac & you happy! Besides using Time Machine, I suggest getting an external HD like the NewerTech from OWC (https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/) then you have a "bootable" clone of your mac. Use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Clone for backing up to the external HD.
Before you did the Yosemite install, had you been running any OS X maintenance app, such as OnYx, Cocktail, etc.? Having a least one of these doing regular cleanup tasks help to keep mac running fast & smoothly.
You may find the information at http://macs.about.com/]Mac (Apple): Basics, Product Reviews, Tips and Tricksvaluable, and check out the step by step install instructions (How to Perform an Upgrade Install of OS X Yosemite on a Mac)
Preparation is the key to an easy upgrade. It is also helpful to keep your desktop clear of clutter. You may want to add Ram, as well.
Have fun,
Cali

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In sig
I've seen several posts these past few days that were pretty much left hanging with regard to the conclusion of a problem. So, THAT said, let me conclude my little saga.
OK, the computer saga has come to an acceptable, no my friends, and excellent conclusion.

First of all, I was VERY smart, lucky really, to change Apple stores. The guys in my closest "go to" store are VERY condescending and I always left there FUMING. In this case, I was lucky in that I found not one, but TWO geniuses that not only sympathized with my plight, but were very knowledgeable and friendly. I went through the complete scenario and they were both confident that either or both the Time Machine and hard drives still retained the data. Worst case, a data recovery program and a few hours grabbing files.

They ran there wiz band double super secret Mac prorgrams and all of the back-ups were intact on the time machine. They showed me the dates, folders, file sizes, man, I was relieved at that.

They were 100% confident that all would be well. Those are pretty good odds, far better than my football pool. I went home, nervous, but feeling better. A LOT better. They called a couple of hours later and asked if I wanted THEM to upgrade the machine to Yosemite. I said yes. WORST case scenario, it sucks, we wipe it, reinstall Mavericks and be done with it.

Guys, this thing runs like a rocketship now. Everything is here, only a few programs don't run, only programs that there are plenty of alternatives to. I'm not a HUGE fan of the fact that it looks more and more like a phone with every new incarnation, but if it works, and if simpler graphics give me better performance somewhere else, that's fine with me.

Given the fact that I never even INTRODUCED myself, there were only friendly and helpful responses to my slightly paranoid doomsday overreaction. I belong to other forums, and I personally HATE it when someone jumps in with both feet with nothing to offer and asks for help to remedy a problem they probably caused themselves due to a lack of research.

Now, I'm going to figure out HOW to make a bootable clone. ;-)

thanks again,

ken

Don't know if anyone's touched on your query to create a bootable clone but the simplest way to do this is to use Carbon Copy Cloner. It's easier to use than Time machine, faster cloning, and clones are not bloated.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
I started another thread, not sure if I should have just continued with this one.

The wheels came off again. The new thread lists the issues.

ken

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.