Memory issue

krs

Reaction score
Do not allow Mac to make updates automatically.
I don't, but that doesn't necessarily prevent Apple from pushing an upgrade through.

Thanks, I just tried that - also gets me back to the message that this software is not available when I use the Mini already running Mojave, but also the same message when I boot the Mini into ElCapitan.
I have to get someone elses Mac to try that again.
But maybe the registration is on the app store that I already downloaded Mojave so it tells me it's not available regardless of which Mac I use unless I register a new account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

krs

Reaction score
Thanks Patrick....

But I'm not going to fiddle with Terminal commands for this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP retina, 2013 Mac Air, iPhone SE 1st
I don't, but that doesn't necessarily prevent Apple from pushing an upgrade through.

Thanks, I just tried that - also gets me back to the message that this software is not available when I use the Mini already running Mojave, but also the same message when I boot the Mini into ElCapitan.
I have to get someone elses Mac to try that again.
But maybe the registration is on the app store that I already downloaded Mojave so it tells me it's not available regardless of which Mac I use unless I register a new account.

That is strange. I just tried the link and it offered me to download it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Patrick....
But I'm not going to fiddle with Terminal commands for this.

As you want to avoid using Terminal, you can just try downloading the **** thing but do not let it run or install, and then move it to your own created "Updater stuff" or "Installer stuff" folder and there is a good chance it will stop nagging you thinking you have already downloaded it. You might want to even compress it which should help prevent it from even opening or running just in case.

One would have thought one would have provided an easy On/Off button or something similar.

- Patrick
=======

krs

Reaction score
One would have thought one would have provided an easy On/Off button or something similar.

Too complicated....
...or maybe too simple.

I just turned all Updates off in Preferences and will depend on other notifications - like this forum - to let me know if I need to update Mojave.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Just for the **** of it and because I'd tried hard to get Mojave or High Sierra to get away from Catalina, I tried the link in Mac Mans post. It took me to iTunes and then I got the 'not available in the US store.' I ended up getting a repair man to do it from a disc he must have had. That's probably what has to happen now. :mad:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ended up getting a repair man to do it from a disc he must have had. That's probably what has to happen now. /QUOTE]

+1. I think one is going to be a seeing a lot more of this happening and it can certainly save a lot of time and frustration as if we haven't had enough with this 2020 COVID-19 year!!

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
aha... discovered that it will not open as its from unidentifiable source. need to allow that I guess.
always wonder tho.... with these... apple approved??

If you are running a recent version of the Macintosh operating system, and you download software from somewhere other than Apple’s Mac App Store, when you go to launch that software you will get a dialog that says that you can’t open the application because it’s “from an unidentified developer.” This is simply Apple’s security measure telling you to be careful where you get your software from. (Software that you get directly from a legitimate developer is just about always perfectly safe.) This alert does not mean that the application is dangerous or that it won’t run on your Macintosh. You can open the application by right-clicking (or Control-clicking) on the application’s icon, and then choosing Open; you will still get a warning dialog, but you can now choose to Open the application anyway, even if it comes from an unidentified developer. From this point on you can launch the application normally and there will be no warning dialog box. However, this doesn't work if the application is located anywhere but in the Applications folder. See:
http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/27/app-cant-be-opened-because-it-is-from-an-unidentified-developer/

Reaction score
I would be very interested in knowing how to reinstall Mojave.

It's easiest if you backed up your hard drive prior to upgrading to Catalina.

Here are Apple's instructions on how to do so. They assume that you have a Time Machine backup:

If you have a clone backup (done before you upgraded to Catalina) it is even easier. Just reformat your main hard drive (using Disk Utility) and clone your clone back to your main hard drive.

It's possible to fall back to Mojave from Catalina if you didn't make a backup first, but it is a royal pain. You'd have to make a clone backup of your hard drive, create a Mojave installer flash drive, reformat your main drive, install Mojave on your main drive, and then use Migration Assistant to move just your apps and data from your clone backup to your main drive.

currently am running Mojave but am frustrated by the continuous reminders to upgrade to Catalina... and afraid one day it will happen either auto or by error.

You can turn those reminders off in:

System Preferences --> Software Update --> Advanced --> [uncheck things as they suit you]

OP
I
Reaction score
Hi,
Thank you for your response. It's more od a download problem, than lack of space. The hard drive was clean recently. It's TB one and more than 600 GB is left on it. Whenever I try to download something even as small as 2-5 MB it'll give the message no memory. It's like it redirects to some other folder which is very small. Would that be possible? Is there a way of checking which folder is selected as a destination?

Yes, downgraded from Catalina to Mojave using this exactly way "(It's possible to fall back to Mojave from Catalina if you didn't make a backup first, but it is a royal pain. You'd have to make a clone backup of your hard drive, create a Mojave installer flash drive, reformat your main drive, install Mojave on your main drive, and then use Migration Assistant to move just your apps and data from your clone backup to your main drive.)" BTW. I did make a backup of my Mac at the Catalina stage, but with no system, so when I put back all the information under the Mojave system it would not go back to Catalina.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
One of the things Catalina does is to create two volumes in the Container on the drive. One is named "Macintosh HD" and the other is "Macintosh HD - Data." The reason you have to completely reformat the drive is to get rid of both of those volumes and create a new Container with ONE volume in it named "Macintosh HD." So if you do not take that drastic action, when you reinstall Mojave, it sees "Macintosh HD" and installs there just fine. I think that the problem then is that the Volume created by Catalina, while having the same name, is NOT the same as a full-container volume of Macintosh HD. Somehow, it is size limited. So when you try to download something, you get an error message because the Volume is size-limited by the way Catalina created it. The other volume, "Macintosh HD - Data" may be visible to the OS, but won't normally be mounted at all in Mojave. Even if you did mount it, it won't have your User folder on it as Mojave keeps that on "Macintosh HD" instead of the Catalina way of putting all user data on the "Data" volume. Bottom line: Going back to pre-Catalina versions required a full disk reformat and re-creation of the Container on the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
Do you have any reason to suspect that either "Get Info" or Disk Utility don't report the correct numbers?
I had DiskInventory X sitting in my Application folder and decided to run it...just to see what it reports.
First thing I noticed that the numbers that this application reports are GiB numbers even though they are labelled as GB, same error as in Windows 10, so that alone will confuse people (unless Disk Inventory X fixes that in a later issue)
no I dont have any reason for either 'get info' or 'disk utility' dont report correct numbers. I just thought that disk inventory X would provide more detailed breakdown.
I do keep pretty close eye on my MacBook drive and if it looks getting bit low of space... I copy files to external drive and delete from Mac.
this was just a peek at the apps which show where larger files are.... not really an issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
It's easiest if you backed up your hard drive prior to upgrading to Catalina.

Here are Apple's instructions on how to do so. They assume that you have a Time Machine backup:

If you have a clone backup (done before you upgraded to Catalina) it is even easier. Just reformat your main hard drive (using Disk Utility) and clone your clone back to your main hard drive.

It's possible to fall back to Mojave from Catalina if you didn't make a backup first, but it is a royal pain. You'd have to make a clone backup of your hard drive, create a Mojave installer flash drive, reformat your main drive, install Mojave on your main drive, and then use Migration Assistant to move just your apps and data from your clone backup to your main drive.

You can turn those reminders off in:

System Preferences --> Software Update --> Advanced --> [uncheck things as they suit you]
thanks.... I do run TM backup every now and then and did a super clone quite some time ago. if I had any intention of upgrading from Mojave, I certainly would make those copies.
however, my concern is that if by accident, an upgrade to Catalina is done in error. those annoying popups!!!
must be very careful NOT to choose to do that upgrade.

one person mentioned that if clicked in error... you have option to answer NO with question "do you really want to upgrade?"
I think that would be fabulous option tho I have never seen that in the past.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bottom line: Going back to pre-Catalina versions required a full disk reformat and re-creation of the Container on the drive.

A good description and explanation Jake.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.