Memory issue

Reaction score
Hello,
I recently downgraded my OS on my Mac from Catalina to Mojave. All is good except one issue. Whenever I try to download something I will get the "no sufficient memory on your disk" message. There is more than 600 GB left of the memory on the machine. How can I fix this? Btw... I use Safari.

Thank you for any input.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Download one or more of these free apps (they all work a bit differently, so it may be worth trying more than one) that tell you what is on your hard drive and how much space it is taking up:

DiskInventory X (free)
http://www.derlien.com/

GrandPerspective (free)
http://grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net/

OmniDiskSweeper (free)

See what they tell you about whether or not you actually have a lot of free hard drive space.

Also, I recommend that download and you run:

Maintenance (free)

and have it purge your caches and other stuff and see if that frees up space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Since Catalina, broke the drive into two partitions (Macintosh HD & Macintosh HD - Data) You may still have two separate drives/partitions/containers. When you reinstalled Mojave, specifically how did you do it?

krs

Reaction score
Since Catalina, broke the drive into two partitions (Macintosh HD & Macintosh HD - Data) You may still have two separate drives/partitions/containers. When you reinstalled Mojave, specifically how did you do it?
I need to do that as well for a family member.
They updated as 'pushed' by Apple and ended up with Catalina with a bunch of non-working 32-bit applications.
Seems there is no check or even any warning when upgrading that 32-bit applications are no longer supported.

I would reinstall Mojave this way:
1. Make a clone of the Mac running Catalina on an external drive
2. Wipe the internal hard drive
3. Install Mojave on the internal drive using the Mojave USB installer I made a while back
4. Run Migration Assistant with the Catalina clone as the source

Big question is from where to download Mojave (if my USB installer doesn't work) - everytime I follow any of the Apple links that have been posted I get the "not available" message

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Big question is from where to download Mojave (if my USB installer doesn't work) - everytime I follow any of the Apple links that have been posted I get the "not available" message
Do you have access to any Mac, that is using an older OS, but will still support Mojave?

This is where unknowing users make the mistake. In Disk Utility, they need to make sure the View is set to Show al devices or something to that effect

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The internal drive is not partitioned by Catalina. That is a misnomer, the one single partition simply has two Volumes. One is Macintosh HD and one is Macintosh HD (Data). The Macintosh HD volume is where the operating system resides, the other is for user data.
In order to revert Catalina to a previous operating system the entire internal drive needs to be erased, the operating system installed via a bootable USB installer or a bootable clone of the previous OS plus user data.
If no clone is available then a bootable USB installer to instal the required macOS and data restored from a backup such as Time Machine.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I would suggest you perform a Time Machine backup of your computer as it stands or better yet create a clone using the trial version of CCC.
Test your bootable installer to see if it will boost your device. If so you can use it to erase your device, install Mojave and restore your data from the clone by dragging your data back.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Seems there is no check or even any warning when upgrading that 32-bit applications are no longer supported.
Apple warned users for two years that the support for 32 bit was ending. In fact, every time you opened a 32 bit application you got that warning that when Mojave came, support was going to end. I don't know how far back the machine was, but Apple did try to warn folks about the change.

krs

Reaction score
Do you have access to any Mac, that is using an older OS, but will still support Mojave?
I tried using a 2012 Mac Mini running ElCapitan.
When I click on the link in the Apple support page to download Mojave I end up with this:
AppStore.jpg

krs

Reaction score
In fact, every time you opened a 32 bit application you got that warning that when Mojave came, support was going to end.
I never received any warning when I opened a 32-bit application.
I just opened a 32-bit application called "Butler" which I had never opened before (just in case that warning only came on first launch) - no warning.
In any case, early warning is fine, but what is really needed is the warning when one tries to upgrade to Catalina - especially since Apple is really pushing that OS.
Even I have to be careful that I don't upgrade inadvertently and then have to backpedal.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I never received any warning when I opened a 32-bit application.

I sure did. The warnings actually started prior to the release of Mojave which Apple originally intended to be able to only run 64 bit apps. Apple later changed their mind and gave users more time to update the 32 bit apps they had or get rid of them. They extended the time to update by allowing Mojave to continue to run 32 bit apps.

I don't know how anyone could say they weren't warned about the demise of 32 bit apps.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm with you, Charlie. I must have started getting the warning at about the same time as you did. According to the Apple page below, the warning appeared as early as High Sierra. The wording has changed slightly since then, but a similar message still appears under Catalina (I just tried it).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208436

krs

Reaction score
I wonder if I (and others here) never received any warning messages because everyone was on ElCapitan, never on Sierra or High Sierra.
The move was straight from ElCapitan to Mojave.

I still have a few family members on ElCapitan right now and none of them have received any warning messages about 32-bit applications being discontinued.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The warnings started for those who were on High Sierra at the time and then later for those who were on Mojave after Apple extended the deadline.

So it's very likely that those folks who were running Sierra or earlier did not receive warnings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
Hello,
I recently downgraded my OS on my Mac from Catalina to Mojave.
I found this most interesting as I was unaware that one could go back to previous OS...would be most interested in knowing how it is done.

I run Mojave and absolutely DO NOT want to upgrade to Catalina as several of my purchased apps will not run.

with the constant reminders to upgrade to Catalina...im afraid one day it will just happen either accidentally or by a default.

maybe some other member can shed some light on this...
my question would be:
1.would just a TM backup done regularly help me in case I need to downgrade from Catalina to Mojave.
OR
2. should I do superclone and how often?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would be very interested in knowing how to reinstall Mojave.
currently am running Mojave but am frustrated by the continuous reminders to upgrade to Catalina... and afraid one day it will happen either auto or by error.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Download one or more of these free apps (they all work a bit differently, so it may be worth trying more than one) that tell you what is on your hard drive and how much space it is taking up:

DiskInventory X (free)
http://www.derlien.com/

GrandPerspective (free)
http://grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net/

OmniDiskSweeper (free)

See what they tell you about whether or not you actually have a lot of free hard drive space.

Also, I recommend that download and you run:

Maintenance (free)

and have it purge your caches and other stuff and see if that frees up space.

I downloaded OmniDiskSweeper and diskinventory X.... to check out what is actually taking up space on my MacBook.
1. downloaded and ran omnidisksweeper and could not make head nor tail out of it.
2. so tried to run diskinventory X... could not find in my app folder... I had clicked on dmg file in downloads and follow thru with install. what am I doing wrong?

aha... discovered that it will not open as its from unidentifiable source. need to allow that I guess.
always wonder tho.... with these... apple approved??

krs

Reaction score
I found this most interesting as I was unaware that one could go back to previous OS...would be most interested in knowing how it is done.

I run Mojave and absolutely DO NOT want to upgrade to Catalina as several of my purchased apps will not run.

with the constant reminders to upgrade to Catalina...im afraid one day it will just happen either accidentally or by a default.

maybe some other member can shed some light on this...
my question would be:
1.would just a TM backup done regularly help me in case I need to downgrade from Catalina to Mojave.
OR
2. should I do superclone and how often?
I think the term "downgrade" as use by member idea67 is a bit misleading.
ie - downgrading macOS by somehow doing the opposite of "upgrading" is not possible.
What you essentially end up doing is saving all your existing data (probably best as a clone), then wiping your drive, installing a fresh macOS using a USB installer and then porting all the data back (probably easiest via Migration Assistant).

And I find these constant reminders to upgrade to Catalina most annoying as well.
I assume if one hits "yes" accidentally, one ets a chance to cancel that before it actually happens.

As a side note, I used SnowLeopard for quite a while as new macOSs were released, then ElCapitan as well with new macOSs becoming available - in neither case did I get these constant reminders from Apple to upgrade - most annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP retina, 2013 Mac Air, iPhone SE 1st
I need to do that as well for a family member.
They updated as 'pushed' by Apple and ended up with Catalina with a bunch of non-working 32-bit applications.

I would reinstall Mojave this way:
1. Make a clone of the Mac running Catalina on an external drive
3. Install Mojave on the internal drive using the Mojave USB installer I made a while back
4. Run Migration Assistant with the Catalina clone as the source

Do not allow Mac to make updates automatically. I recently downloaded Mojave from the App Store. I had to install a new hard drive as my old one fried on my 2013 Air. I made a bootable drive and installed it and the migrated over from TM. But I was running Mojave on the TM so there were no issues with Catalina. I just wipe Catalina off from my install Catalina in apps on both my Mac Books and refuse to allow a forced "upgrade".
I found Mojave here https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-mojave/id1398502828?ls=1&mt=12

krs

Reaction score
I downloaded OmniDiskSweeper and diskinventory X.... to check out what is actually taking up space on my MacBook.
1. downloaded and ran omnidisksweeper and could not make head nor tail out of it.
2. so tried to run diskinventory X... could not find in my app folder... I had clicked on dmg file in downloads and follow thru with install. what am I doing wrong?

aha... discovered that it will not open as its from unidentifiable source. need to allow that I guess.
always wonder tho.... with these... apple approved??
Do you have any reason to suspect that either "Get Info" or Disk Utility don't report the correct numbers?
I had DiskInventory X sitting in my Application folder and decided to run it...just to see what it reports.
First thing I noticed that the numbers that this application reports are GiB numbers even though they are labelled as GB, same error as in Windows 10, so that alone will confuse people (unless Disk Inventory X fixes that in a later issue)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.