MCAFEE ADWARE! Please Read!

Reaction score
There is a very annoying bit of adware going around. It constantly shows you pop-up messages telling you that your McAffee anti-virus software subscription is up (even if you never had one.) It will even show you pop-ups outside of your Web browser. What it's trying to do is to funnel you to a Web site to get you to give them credit card information. Otherwise, however, this adware doesn't harm your Mac in any way.

It's easy to remove this adware, but even easier to avoid it completely.

To avoid it, if you use Safari, in Safari open Preferences in the Safari menu. Click on Websites. Click on Notifications in the column on the left. UNCHECK: Allow Websites To Ask For Permission To Send Notifications.

If you use Brave, in Brave, Brave menu —> Preferences —> Privacy and Security —> Site & Shield Settings —> Notifications —> set Don’t Allow Sites To Send Notifications

go back to Site & Shield Settings —> Popups and Redirects —> set Don't allow sites to send pop-ups or use redirects.

If anyone is hit by the McAfee adware, just post here. I'll give instructions on how to remove it. So far, I've only seen Mac users running Safari get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), Apple Watch: IPad Mini 3: Iphone 12 Pro
I always learn so much from reading these forums, thank you!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very interesting information about Brave Browser. I will definitely look into using this. Luckily I have not had any problems but I always want to be safer. I notice occasionally that certain times, YouTube will show a message that says this page is using a lot of resources (not sure of the exact wording but its close) but when I close the page, everything returns to normal. Other than that, Safari works well. I am a little concerned about the 'Fingerprinting blocked' listed on the comparison chart of the Brave webpage. Does this mean that there is tracking software on Safari that can capture my fingerprint from my device?

OP
Randy B. Singer
Reaction score
....Does this mean that there is tracking software on Safari that can capture my fingerprint from my device?

There is tracking software in just about EVERY Web site you visit. (Brave is telling me that even Mac-Forums has two trackers that it blocked!) Some browsers block that tracking software, others don't. Brave does the most comprehensive job of blocking all the spyware used to track you. Safari isn't even close. See:

Google's Chrome browser is the worst. It is chocked full of it's own spyware. That's Google's business model. They give you lots of neat services seemingly for free, but they use those services to spy on you, gather your personal information, and then aggregate and sell it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WOW. But funny, all google knows about me apparently is my YouTube search and watch history since I never use anything else but Safari. Really interesting information here. I think I have no choice but to at least try Brave and see if I can get used to it. Thank you for all this information!

OP
Randy B. Singer
Reaction score
.... all google knows about me apparently is my YouTube search and watch history since I never use anything else but Safari.

Do you use Google search? Gmail? Any Web site with Google ads? (Which is just about all of them.)

If so, Google knows a lot about you. Check out:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I started using Brave Browser in 2018, it was the best ad blocking and anti tracking browser at the time and put simply it still is.
It's security settings have evolved a little too but it remains low on system resource demands and fast.
Some articles I have read name Hand Off as one of the advantages of Safari but Brave on my iPhone appears in the Dock of my MBP when active so I can move seamlessly from writing a post on my iPhone and complete it on my laptop.
I cannot find another browser that matches Brave for Security, Ad Blocking and all round performance and believe me I've tried.
The only reason I believe that it doesn't rate higher on survey sites is because the big 4 pay to have their products put first.

Addit: Brave have just introduced a feature called BraveTalk. It's a live encrypted video conferencing feature free for four people or less built in to the browser.

Last edited:
OP
Randy B. Singer
Reaction score
TidBits is about to write a more in-depth article about notification adware (which is what the McAfee adware is.) I'll post a link when the article is available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you use Google search? Gmail? Any Web site with Google ads? (Which is just about all of them.)

If so, Google knows a lot about you. Check out:

I have a gmail account, don't use it anymore but I get junk mail still coming in. I guess there are google things that are attached to my name, geesh. I am getting used to Brave, not liking the fact that I have to look up all my passwords, so it's time now to think about a password manager. Someone on the NextDoor app posted that she had a breakin in her house, but the police could not find any sign of breaking in. It turns out someone hacked her Ring app somehow and her garage app. It's a different world of criminals we are dealing with now.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You might wonder why I said "I cannot find another browser that matches Brave for Security, Ad Blocking and all round performance and believe me I've tried".

I've found that many people are reluctant, even actively resistant to try new software, especially apps that are integral to their daily computer use like email clients and web browsers.

I suppose it's just my nature to enjoy the process of trialing new software, comparing it to other or newer versions of the app.
As a result I'm always on the lookout for new entrants into the field of day to day apps like email clients and web browsers.

I prefer apps that work across platforms for continuity on my portable devices.
Currently I use Spark as my email client and Brave as my web browser with DuckDuck Go as my search engin because they are good and suit my needs.

In my experience there is no problem making a gradual transition from my current app, be it a web browser or an email client, despite all the arguments to the contrary like what about my thousands of saved emails or my saved passwords, bookmarks, preferences ect, ect.
To me it's just like a bank, if they increase their charges or don't offer features other banks offer then change.

There are also rumours that Apple may have to abandon it's WebKit requirement for iOS browsers meaning desktop like versions for portable devices so, as usual things continue to change and I for one am happy to change with them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rod you can put me on the reluctant side, but not resistant. I’ve been using this brave browser for a day now and I do like it. I will just have to keep putting in my passwords.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good for you, I do keep some passwords in Brave for commonly used sites (like this one) and for convenience that's fine but the majority of them are in my password manager.
If you have any questions about settings feel free to ask, I think I've gotten mine about as good as they can be for my purposes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good for you, I do keep some passwords in Brave for commonly used sites (like this one) and for convenience that's fine but the majority of them are in my password manager.
If you have any questions about settings feel free to ask, I think I've gotten mine about as good as they can be for my purposes.
Thank you!!!

OP
Randy B. Singer
Reaction score
TidBits is about to write a more in-depth article about notification adware (which is what the McAfee adware is.) I'll post a link when the article is available.

It's out!:

How to Identify and Eliminate Abusive Web Notifications

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MacBook Pro 16/1000 GB Sonoma ; 2017 Intel MacBook Air 8/256 GB Monterey
Rod you can put me on the reluctant side, but not resistant. I’ve been using this brave browser for a day now and I do like it. I will just have to keep putting in my passwords.
You can import settings including passwords from Firefox and Edge, assuming you have either or both installed. You can save Safari bookmarks to an html file and import them. I don't believe you can import the passwords csv exported from Safari. A password manager seems a good option though.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alan, you are correct re bookmarks, I tend to use safari as a library of all my sites. As for passwords well I only do a few sites at a time but as I use a password manager the whole process is fairly easy. If I want the browser to remember the password after logging I can make that decision. Alternatively most P/W Managers have browser extensions so you can access them straight from the browser window.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.