• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

MB and MBP... Interesting Info

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
I just thought you guys might like to know...

I work at one of the "big box" retail stores that sells Apple products. I checked our systems today, and as of 4/30/07 the Macbook's and Macbook Pro's have "deleted" status, meaning discontinued. This lets us know that once we get rid of all the computers in stock, we can sell the floor displays to make room for new models. I'm getting excited about those new models! :Mischievous:

Please take this info lightly as I'm only reporting what's in the system. It's usually pretty accurate... but you never know what it could mean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
By that rationale, it could also mean that you won't be carrying them at all after you sell down your current stock.
:|

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
bby?

could it just mean they won't be selling them anymore?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
bby?

could it just mean they won't be selling them anymore?

Thats what I think it is, since he works for a reseller and not Apple itself. Meh, I have no need to buy a new Mac, im satisfied with my MBP! w00t!

OP
flilow06
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
By that rationale, it could also mean that you won't be carrying them at all after you sell down your current stock.
:|

That's an option, but I don't really think it's a possibility considering a number of reasons. In fact, I'd bet serious money it's not...

Reason number one: This "big box" recently secured a more prominent
relationship with Apple for future business.

Reason number two: I also checked one of the iMacs... out of stock date was much farther down the road then the MB/MBP's.

Reaction score
Leopard? err Leopard will be out on October... This is more like the refresh of MB/MBPs line... wich if true.. then awesome :D

Reaction score
Hello, I would like to point out that the Leopard spring release date had lost some of its luster in the Mac world, I read some posts that people were not really looking at upgrading anytime soon. It would be quite a 1-2 punch if Leopard was ready in time for WWDC, and that would have a nice Jobsian theatrical flair to it. If it was released in June and had some awesome new features that had not been previously discussed there would be a feeding frenzy to get it. Also, there is what I call a gap in their current laptop market. You should be able to buy a laptop with a 15" screen for less than $2000. There is a rumor that Apple was working on it. There is also rumors of an iMac overhaul. It makes sense to me that if they are going to revamp product lines that they would want the latest and greatest os on it. One specifically designed for it. (Tiger is an emulation on intel) . I was at the local Apple dealer the other day and the clerk there said sales slow down in the month or two before an OS release, the pushed out date might be a way to keep selling computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | Black | 2.16gHz | 2gb ram | 160 HDD
OMG, the new intel chip for laptops codenamed "SANTA ROSA" aka Centrino Duo/Centrino Pro is being released on May 9th. Thats probably why they are ending the old line of core 2 duos. this is VERY EXCITING news. I've been very eager for news about this, thanks dude

and why would anyone stop selling apple products, its like not accepting the lottery...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
I don't think it's far off to assume that Apple is close to releasing a refresh of the MB/MBP line. In fact, I just bought a MB that was "refreshed" in the store and there was confusion with the store staff about the pricing. In the March 1st price list, refreshed MacBooks were 10% off retail (more than refurbished online). On the April 1st price list, they were all $200 off (almost 20% on the 1.83 model and less than the refurb store). I kinda got the impression that they were trying to clear inventory. Then again, the Apple stores do a horrid job of even letting you know that they sell open box products, at least in my experience.

I also suppose it's reasonable that the price change was just due to a flux in returned inventory. Either way, if they actually let people know they sold them in the store (including the people working in the store, some of whom are clueless to refreshed), they might sell them.

Reaction score
Reason number two: I also checked one of the iMacs... out of stock date was much farther down the road then the MB/MBP's.

Just out of interest flilow06, what's the iMac out of stock date? If it's the end of May that would tie in nicely with the WWDC.......

thanks

Reaction score
err dude... if he said the MB/MBP's stock date was 30/4 and the iMac's we're farther down the road... then how could it be anywhere near the end of May?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Very interesting. They are about due for an update on that line, just looking at when the last update was.

Reaction score
err dude... if he said the MB/MBP's stock date was 30/4 and the iMac's we're farther down the road... then how could it be anywhere near the end of May?

30/4 is the end of April...if that's for the MB/MBP's then the iMac out of stock date then *could* be the end of May. I assume you don't agree?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i doubt its new stuff coming. but i rekon they just want to get rid of the demo stuff and get new (same model, specs etc) demo stuff.

OP
flilow06
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
i doubt its new stuff coming. but i rekon they just want to get rid of the demo stuff and get new (same model, specs etc) demo stuff.

I think you misunderstood. The whole line of Macbook's and Macbook Pro's is discontinued in the system. We are no longer receiving new units of the current models, for display or any other purpose. It's got absolutely nothing to do with bringing in new display models.

I disagree, I am pretty certain that a hardware update is near. ;D

NotLocust, I'll try and get back to you on that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | Black | 2.16gHz | 2gb ram | 160 HDD
give us an update on may 9th (santa rosa release) and see what ur store does

Reaction score
Sorry guys I work at CompUSA and Macbook are still in receiving status so I don't think a new line of apple laptops are coming.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.